Dexter's Endgame

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mmilton80, May 25, 2011.

1. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

How do people think that the Dexter series is going to end? Will Dexter get caught? or will he simply stop needed to kill.

I really like the character Dexter Morgan and would actually feel quite bad if people found out.

Thoughts?

2. kcarl75

kcarl75 Active Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Southern NH
    My guess if there is an "end" it will be to sacrifice himself to save his son or sister from some other killer.

3. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I dunno if I would guess that but I think it would be the best ending since we all love the character. I do, however, from an objective point of view think he should be caught. And probably by Deb.

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I really really really hope he never gets caught! I'd rather his story ended in his death than him ever getting caught. And if he did die in the end, I would not want anybody to ever know about the kills.

I would be profoundly disappointed if there was some scenario where he was caught and went to prison and just as disappointed if people found out after he died. I don't know why I feel so strongly about this, but I do.

5. mmilton80

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

That is my feeling. It is a testament to the writing and acting that we actually care for this serial killer.

I remember being so concerned whether or not the Trinity Killer told Rita about the truth about Dexter before she was killed.

I know it is just a TV show.

6. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    A couple of "time warps" and we see Dexter training his son to take over the "family business".

7. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    It would be interesting to see him train a replacement, after he's weened himself off the need to kill. Not his son though, I think he'd want to spare him from that lifestyle.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    My guess is it will end when Showtime decides not to renew it.

Ergo, whatever the season-ender before that is, will turn out to be the series ender.

9. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I don't really see this as any sort of actual "spoiler", but some people here are extremely sensitive about such things, so I put it on the title of my post.

Joining MCH in "Dexter" for Season 6 are Edward James Olmos, Colin Hanks and Mos (aka "Mos Def" aka Dante Terrell Smith <--- dude, with a cool name like Dante, why would you feel the need to come up with something as ridiculous as "Mos Def" or "Mos"?)
    :up:

ETA: OOPS! Didn't see this thread before creating my post.

10. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    He already trained Jimmy Smits and Julia Stiles. He could teach his son "Harry's code"

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm with the others that I really hope nobody ever finds out about Dexter's kills. They'd never be understood by anyone and he'd simply be viewed as a monster. Even Deb wouldn't understand.

I also don't think Dexter will ever be able to ween himself off the need to kill. It's simply an innate need of his, so he channels that need the best way he can for society. But if he couldn't kill, I think he'd go nuts. However, it may be possible for him to move to the mountains and only kill wildlife. That might keep the demons at bay, but I don't think he'd ever be satisfied with that.

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    But Harry's Code was simply a way to take Dexter, who was severely broken, and allow him to integrate with society. I'm sure Dexter would never in a million years want Cody, Astor, or Harrison to ever have to deal with the kind of demons that he deals with. He wouldn't simply train them in his "craft" like a father teaching a son how to throw a football or work on cars. He'd only do that if it became apparent that they were severely broken, just like he was. Which I suppose is a possibility due to Harrison having witnessed the death of Rita and sitting in the blood for who knows how long.

13. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    That was my thought about a possible ending. Dexter helps Harrison the same way Harry helped Dexter.

14. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    Dexter sails off into the night on "Slice of Life," to points unknown, to start a new life somewhere else.

15. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Sounds almost like the ending of Silence of the Lambs. :)

16. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I thought about that too and it made me shudder because I'd be willing to bet that he DID tell her. That just had to be part of his pleasure in carrying out that particular kill. I had to stop thinking about it after the shock of the whole season finale wore off. I must say, that was the most shocking season finale of a show that I have ever seen. Lithgow does 'creepy bad guy' as well as anybody ever. I still remember his character in the movie Ricochet with Denzel.

I'm enjoying this discussion a lot. While I, too, realize it's only a tv show, I enjoy being invested. I think MC Hall is the best actor in television and Dexter is such an outstanding vehicle for his talents. I still love David Fisher. I'm really enjoying seeing SFU again on HBO each week, even though I've seen the entire series a few times AND I have the DVD set.

17. mmilton80

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    An ending that I would be ok with...

Dexter is caught by the Feds who have been tracking him all season. They then realize that Dexter has done more good than harm and set him free, occasionally working as a government assassin.

18. Vendikarr

Vendikarr New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    I see Dexter helping Harrison, and then we jump to some time in the future, where Harrison has learned Dexter killed someone outside the code. And Harrison makes Dexter one of his victims. Just as Dexter killed Harry (or so he feels), Harrison takes the life of his father.

19. BobB

BobB Devout Tivonian

Aug 26, 2002
    Brookline, MA
    I'm going to spoilerize my responses below as they give away things that are different in the books than the TV series and I don't want to ruin the surprises for those who haven't read them yet. I will say openly that the books are both darker and funnier than the TV shows, and somewhat spotty in quality, but definitely worth a read for Dexter fans.

In the books, BOTH of his adoptive kids are nascent serial killers, thanks to their abusive birth father, and he does indeed take it upon himself to teach them Harry's code.

From the books again, Deb does know about him - not all the details, but enough, and even encourages him to use his talents on deserving victims at times.

20. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    The books also describe Deb as having a curvy, sexy body.