Dexter S06E07 "Nebraska" 11/13/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by madscientist, Nov 14, 2011.

1. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    OK, I take it back. I loved having Brian back (since it was only for one episode)! What a hoot. That road trip was really fun: loved Dexter hooking up with the shopgirl to steal her gun, then shooting up road signs. Having Brian pitchfork the guy was pretty unbelievable though; obviously Dexter really did it but how does he grab a pitchfork and stab the guy when the guy is pointing a gun right at him, point blank?!?! And heck if someone stabbed me with a pitchfork I'd shoot him before I died, just on principal.

And, I was happy with the way they played out the story as well. A good, believable way to have Dexter "snap back" to the code; if he'd killed Jonah then just decided "well, time to go home!" that would have been pretty weak. Amusing how he picked up his dad on the way home.

I was also happy to see Debra show a little maturity when dealing with Quinn.

A lot of muddying of the waters this time with Prof. Gellar. The woman who was freed seemed pretty definite that there were two people, an older man and a younger man, but voices can be faked and it wasn't clear she was ever touched by both at the same time. Even making her drink blood could have been accomplished by one person, with a knee behind the neck, one hand pulling the head back, and the other pouring the blood.

Still... not a good week for the "he's imaginary" crowd...

2. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    That bothered me, too. Not that Brian seemed to grab the pitchfork, I'll give them that metaphor. But as you say, the guy was pointing the gun at Dexter from about five feet away. It seems like the writers wanted to create a situation where Dexter had no choice but to kill the guy, then they were unable to do a good job with the logistics of the situation. Which is sad, because there are several ways they could have done it. The smallest change would have been to have the guy fire the gun but it was empty (unlikely that neither of them realized, but better than what we saw). Better still would have been to have the guy approach Dexter with the knife, and Dexter overpower him and semi-accidently stab him with the knife.

Did you notice that when they were eating in the motel room, Brian had his own cup and sandwich box, which remained on the table as they left the room?

3. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I wish they'd filled in the gap to see for sure but I don't think it's that surprising that a random guy who maybe was even a bit high didn't react quickly to the pitchfork.

4. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    No, it wasn't just quickly, it was AT ALL. He did not die instantly from the pitchfork. He could have shot Dexter after being stabbed. Just a terribly executed scene.

Besides, Dexter had to look behind him, turn, lift the pitchfork from the hanger, rotate the pitchfork from vertical to horizontal, and then thrust the pitchfork into the guy.

On the other hand, marijuana man only had to move his finger half an inch.

Considering that MM was pretty quick to back away from Dexter and grab the gun a minute before, I think it is safe to say that he should have easily been able to shoot Dexter before getting stabbed with the pitchfork.

5. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I'm definitely part of the imaginary crowd. I thought for a second that they were making it known that there were two guys, but then the girl said she was blindfolded and only identified the two by voice. That pushed it back even further into the imaginary side for me. ( my mind flashed to Norman Bates doing his mom voice )

We also saw Dexter's brother doing a fair amount of interaction with physical objects this week and we know he's not real. I can't imagine that Gellar would be real after this long without indication. It has been way too subtle if their idea all along was to make us think he was imaginary and only reveal at the end he was real. The big surprise only works the other way.

6. farleyruskz

farleyruskz Nunya

Nov 13, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    [​IMG]

7. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I was coming here to post the same two images, Farleyruskz. I laughed out loud when the scene composed itself.

8. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Moi aussi. LOL!

Thunder stolen ... ;)

9. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    They also seemed to be spending the whole episode going out of their way to show us imaginary people interacting with the environment. Rudy throwing bags overboard, handing them to Dexter, having his own meal, and the pitchfork thing.

But the woman talking about two voices is interesting. Maybe our killer talks out both sides of his conversations? I'm feeling more and more that the writers aren't just trying to set us up for a big surprise and expecting us not to have thought of it until the surprise, but rather, are intentionally creating this conversation and uncertainty.

10. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    Ditto. I rewound and paused it too. :up:

11. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Whoa!!!

12. Sacrilegium

Sacrilegium that weird guy

Dec 14, 2006
    Yeah, as soon as that image was on screen I said, "I see what you did there."

Dex is so sloppy. I'm sure the convenient store had cameras, and there he is stealing a gun right on camera. He likely still has the motel pen from Nebraska. He used his cell phone while in Nebraska. For a man on a mission to murder, he didn't seem concerned with hiding the fact that he was in town.

I guess it's nothing new though. The writers haven't made it a priority to cover his tracks for a while.

13. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    I think they may have been saying since this is Dexter with his brother as his dark passenger, he is not nearly as careful as he normally is.

Can you imagine the normally meticulous Dexter with the code shooting up stop signs?

-smak-

14. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Of course that is what was being depicted. Dexter was under the influence of Brian (who despised Harry's code -- and Deb). Once he "ran over" Brian and picked up Harry the hitchhiker, things were back to "the way we were".

But there is potential for all the sloppiness in Nebraska to come back and bite him.

Interesting that Gellar was shown gutting the gators and preparing to sew their heads together as Travis is going through his rebellious stage with him. I'm still not sure about whether the Professor is real or imaginary. I'm still leaning toward the latter.

15. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I vote that the professor is imaginary.

I think they're setting up the season to show what would happen if your murderous manifestation took over.

With Dexter, the fact that his dark passenger took the form of his brother, was screaming for Dexter to just kill somebody, had Dexter steal a gun and go on a shooting spree (no one injured but signs), then for a short moment took over and murdered the motel clerk (albeit, self defense). I'm not sure if Dexter liked it or not, but Harry's code creeped back in and probably saved Dexter from his reckless break.

With the DDK, Travis may be rebelling against his Gellar manifestation but I don't think he has the balls to stand up to the Gellar and stop his own self. I think the Gellar's character (if a manifistation) will eventually gain control of Travis.

16. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    If Dexter can have two different manifestations (Harry and Rudy) to choose from, maybe our villain can as well. When I think about who his Harry-equivalent might be, though, the only thing that seems logical is his sister. And we've seen third parties reacting to his sister (most notably her art students). Drat, it would have made a nice twist for her to be imaginary too.

17. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    This sloppy?

How about when he flew to France to kill that nutjob a few seasons back?

18. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I don't think she ever said she actually heard two voices (I'll have to rewatch). I think she said she heard the guy refer to the other guy as "the professor". But I don't remember her specifically saying she heard two guys talking.

19. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Yeah I don't know if they are being sloppy or if they are just leaving some loose ends that they can use in future episodes/seasons. Maybe in the final season some, or one, of these comes back into play.

20. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    FWIW I thought this was a horrible episode and missed opportunity. They should have toyed more with Dexter's dark side. This is season six so why not? I think he should have killed the kid (closer to Miami so there would be less brother scenes) and spent the rest of this season discovering his regret and conscience. For the finale he could have spared this season's serial killer because he has a conscience and dark passenger as well. Then dad could reappear.