Dexter S06E04 "A Horse of a Different Color" 10/23/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by madscientist, Oct 24, 2011.

1. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    What a seesaw ride for the "is Gellar real" question. At first it seemed obviously not when he was totally ignored by the waitress. Then, did Travis tie up the waitress in some kind of fugue state, or is Gellar real and did it? Even during this scene she seemed to ignore Gellar, but she seemed to be hoping Travis would let her out--would she do that if he's the one who tied her up? And at the very end of that scene she appears to look away from Gellar; coincidence? Then, we find out that Gellar was definitely a real person... so did he convert Travis, then die, and that somehow precipitated Travis' visions and sent him off the deep end?

After last week I was leaning towards "real", after this week I'm leaning towards "imaginary".

How messed up must that policewoman be, after tripping that wire?

I really enjoyed Deb's press conference. Just what I thought it would be. Her potty mouth is actually the part of her character I like the most--it seems the most "real". That necklace was hideous. I wonder if the Captain is so pleased with Deb's performance just because it makes LaGuerta look as bad as possible.

I had to laugh at all the doomsday guys arguing for their particular brand of crazy on a bench in the police station. Also funny was Batista and Quinn munching away on chips back at the station :)

The plotline with Harrison being sick and Dexter's discussion with the coffee machine (I mean God...) was so predictable (as soon as Harrison was reported to not feeling well I knew it would happen, although I thought they might be more heavy-handed about it and have it last a few episodes or something). I did enjoy the conversations with Brother Sam though. Mos Def is mos def' killing it in that role.

2. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I think the waitress ignoring Gellar at the restaurant made it pretty clear that Gellar is no longer present/real. Travis has multiple personality disorder, and we're not shown those scenes where he commits acts as Gellar (a copy of Gellar from when he knew him).

The real Gellar miht even still be alive somewhere, but Travis might have killed him 3 years ago when Gellar went 'underground'.

3. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    very good recap of the roller coaster they have us on and props to the writer for making me waffle back and forth after almost every scene.

4. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Dexter knows the killer is younger now; I suspect he will figure out who the killer is because he enrolled in a class that Gellar taught and maybe was mentored by him a bit. I'm guessing he killed him three years ago.

The angel scene veered a bit too much towards Saw implausibility to me, but I'm willing to overlook it because I'm kind of enjoying this season.

5. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I suspect we'll find out he was Gellar's Teacher's Assistant or something and that he killed him 3 years ago.

I will be surprised as h*ll if Dexter goes in for the kill and then gets clubed over the head by Gellar!

6. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    I thought Dexter saw / recognized the killer at the scene...

7. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Right, but he doesn't know who the guy is. However, he has key information that his colleagues don't and knows he's some younger dude and not the professor. I was merely speculating what he'll do with the information and we we might see this season. The age only matters insofar as it might lead him to check college enrollment (in my hypothetical future episode scenario)

8. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Right now Dexter is under the assumption it's 2 killers. He probably assumes teacher/student. At some point he'll find out teacher is gone/dead (I think). Although there sure is a lot going on for just one person to handle all of it.

9. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    Asking for a general consensus from people who do not like spoilers: does it enhance or reduce your enjoyment of Dexter, knowing that there's a chance that Gellar is not real?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to share this information with my husband - who HATES spoilers and does not read this forum. (For me, even though I don't like spoilers either, I find that I like watching Gellar, keeping in mind that he could be real and he might not be.)

10. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I predict it will reduce the shock during the "big reveal" significantly.

11. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'd say you answered your own question ;)

I have to say that before somebody mentioned it here, I didn't even think about him NOT being real...but I am really enjoying trying to figure out if he is or not.

But I think that ship has already sailed for you. If you were going to tell him, it should have been right away so that he could play along too.

I wouldn't want to know at this point.

12. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    +1

13. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    thanks for the comments. I'm going to keep it to myself. Knowing him, he'll enjoy it more being completely surprised at the "reveal".

14. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Well, the 'reveal' is just speculation.

However, I think the professor is just in Travis's head as well. When he was getting coffee from the waitress, I noticed that Travis was the only one who had silverware on the table. Professor Gellar had no place setting.

So, I'm guessing Travis has devolved into a split personality. When he's meticulous, he's the Professor. When he's not, he's hacking away as himself. He's conflicted about what he's doing, and is punishing himself, in a way.

As far as the smile, when the locusts were swarming, he was Gellar there, I'd bet. Travis has never been calm enough to enjoy the moments. He's felt guilt and grief over what he has to do. I don't think he'd enjoy the moment like that.

15. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Oh, and +1 for Mos Def. I think he's doing awesome.

16. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I wouldn't classify it as a spoiler as it is purely speculation at this point. I would assume speculation is allowed but when does it venture into what would be considered spoiler territory?

17. pcsmith811

pcsmith811 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Thinking I shouldn't have read this thread lol, I didn't even notice half the stuff posted in this thread.

18. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    It's definitely not a spoiler in the context of this thread. Speculation about future events (as long as you have no extra-show knowledge that influences your speculation) is explicitly allowed and doesn't require spoiler tags.

dbranco is not talking about this thread: she's talking about whether she should give this speculative information to her husband (who isn't reading the threads) or not.

I agree with your decision to not tell, dbranco. Although I wouldn't pass up posting here, it didn't even occur to me during the first episode that Gellar might not be real until I read it here. In a way I wish I didn't know, because I wonder how long it would have taken me to suspect it on my own.

19. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    That was an action-packed episode! I thought it looked like Gellar was real this time around but I like the MPD angle for Travis. It's all so confusing, but in a good way. :D

I, too, kept thinking about the police woman who tripped the wire. oops! Really messed up.

I like the Brother Sam guy. I'm not familiar with this actor, but he is playing this role well. I'm non-religious and find that he isn't offensive at all. I feel like there must be another layer to this character, though.

I thought Deb's press conference was kind of weird. She wouldn't be that insecure, IMO. The scene with Batista, Quinn, and the joint was kind of funny.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And if there's anything worse than being the one to trip the wire, it's being the one to trip the wire right after your boss warned you!