Dexter S06E02 "Once Upon a Time" (10/09/11)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by madscientist, Oct 10, 2011.

1. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Well... this was a little slow for me to be honest. I did laugh at some of Debra's comments though. Does she really think she's ready to be Lieutenant? Does Dexter? Seems hard to believe. How can any of the detectives in the squad take her seriously, knowing her like they do? I wonder of Batista becomes the de facto Lieutenant, the man behind the woman or whatever. I was happy to see Batista finally tell off LaGuerta, at least a little bit. Hopefully they keep it there; I didn't like them together (although those scenes of them running off to meet up were very funny, when they were keeping things secret).

The new killers are taking their time getting rolling. Hopefully we see some more of what they're capable of; seems pretty creepy. Still no definitive proof as to whether EJO's character is real or a figment of the young guy's imagination.

Brother Sam is an interesting guy. I wonder if that will be who Dexter turns to for more discussion of spirituality. Seems more Dexter's type, than a priest would be.

2. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Strange how Matthews first appointed LaGuerta to lieutenant, when she was not likely to be good at the job. Now he appoints Debra, who is also not likely to be good at the job. At least he is trying a different incompetence this time. LaGuerta was a good manager but a bad detective. Debra is a good detective but is likely to be a bad manager (and a horror at PR).

3. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Hah! I can just imagine it.

Talk about the Peter Principle in action.

4. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    We did see the EJO's character interract with the real world this time...he picked up that head and the hot poker.

5. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, but were the head and poker real?

6. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I noticed this and thought it was important, but then Dexter's dad picked up some of Harrison's toys on the floor in one scene as well.

7. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ

Interesting...I didn't notice that.

8. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    In the first episode Gellar was helping with the boat, I think... but that doesn't necessarily mean that he was really there. The poker in particular is not convincing: Travis could have imagined the entire thing. For the head, we don't actually see Gellar carry it in. The thing that makes this scene telling is that Travis is not there when Gellar is talking to the head; I don't think we've ever seen Harry hanging out when Dexter has left the room!

Given what we have to work with so far I'm leaning towards "real", not "imaginary".

9. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm leaning towards "real" too because if he was going to imagine the poker scene, I would think he would have burned himself and not his vision of EJO.

10. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Those were some well-selected camera angles for Brea Grant.

11. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I watched that scene a few times :)

12. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Well, if he's really nuts then maybe his crazy side would realize that his "sane" side would notice a lack of burns on his own arms and realize he was hallucinating, and so changed the vision to burn Gellar instead!

Psychoses can sure be devious.

13. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I thought it was a solid episode. Nice setup with Deb. How soon before she's ordered to do something her conscience challenges and hears, "Your Dad knew how to play the game. Remember when yada yada yada happened... well your Dad was the one who yada yada yada."

14. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I think I'm leaning toward Geller being 'real' also.

This ep was a little flat for me but, hey, the worst of Dexter is better than the best of a lot of shows. :D

I like how Dexter made the conversion with his son to stop talking about being a killer, and gave him his own 'box'. I'm not a kid person (at all!), but I thought that was kind of cute.

I think we are going to really see how talented Colin Hanks can be and I am enjoying that. I'm a huge fan of his father, as an actor, and Colin seems like such a great guy that I really want him to have huge success also.

15. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    And as a father of a 3 year old I loved that scene. Once they latch on to something that just won't let go. He did a great job of refocusing his attention on to something else.

I can't seem to remember from past seasons, but I assume Harrison must have seen Dexter pull that box out and that's why he knows about it? If that's the case.....he sure as heck better find a new hiding spot or you can bet the kid would get in there as soon as he can climb!

16. GDG76

GDG76 .

Oct 2, 2000
    It would be a waste of EJO if he couldn't interact with everyone else IMO, but I do like the angle.

I didn't think this was slow at all - Mos Def is awesome in almost everything he does and it will be fun to see how Dexter deals with a guilty man who admits it and tries to better himself through legal means. I thought this was a great setup episode...

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think Mos Def is done with. That was a done-in-one.

That's what they seem to be doing this season...have a main plot each week that's over that episode, plus the Colin Hanks/EJO bubbling along in the background.

I also don't think EJO is a figment...he interacts with his environment in ways that have nothing to do with Colin Hanks.

18. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I really doubt that. Brother Sam should fascinate Dexter as a bit of a role model, in that he has admitted to his "dark side" (ie, dark passenger) and to his guilt in the murder, and his ongoing repentance with "the good shepherd". This fits in perfectly with this season's religious overtones and Dexter's exploration of the whole concept of religion.

19. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm going with done-in-one.

20. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    IMDB credits him with 4 episodes.