Dexter - "My Bad" (S05E01) - 9/26/2010

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by madscientist, Sep 27, 2010.

1. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA

Advertisements

I really liked this episode. They kept Dexter pretty true to himself and at the same time had a bit of growth there. Michael C. Hall is amazing. I shudder to think what this show would have been if they'd decided that a serial killer that has no emotions could be played by just about anyone.

One bad thing: Debra and Quinn? Come on... really? That's pretty weak IMO.

Still, so happy the new season is here! Bring it on!

2. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    It felt like a logical start to the next chapter in this story. Debra and Quinn made sense for what that scene was, I don't think much more will come of it in terms of relationship (hope not at least).

Seeing the flashback to Dexter's and Rita's first date was a great moment. That underscored the transformation that's happened to Dexter since he met her.

3. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I think this episode was great on several levels- as mentioned MCH is just jaw droppingly amazing- his feeble attempt to imitate the funeral director with the "so sorry for your loss" to the kids may be one of the great moments on TV this year. That gas station murder was effing brutal even in its portrayal- Dexter is always such a controlled killer and he just went completely off the rails on that guy.
    The tone of the entire ep was interesting to me- the fogginess and feeling outside yourself was appropriate to the aftermath of a sudden death with the shock and disbelief and feeling on display and wanting a redo and confusion. We got so much aftermath that we as an audience are ready to move on- I am not feeling rushed to process Rita's death at all.
    And finally, it set up the season arc beautifully- to get
    Peter Weller
    in the previews?
    Cannot wait!

The Deb and Quinn stuff was just random post death sex and is pretty common and true to life IMO.
    Nothing will come of it.

4. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    In general, I enjoyed the episode. So glad Dexter is back! But I had some real issues with "revisionist history" with the flashbacks of Dexter's supposed first date with Rita. In Season 1, they made it seem like they met simply as friends and he was happy with that because she was "damaged" just as he was. Then she apparently felt something was lacking and added sex to the relationship which he seemed totally surprised about. Just felt these flashbacks seemed really fake and simply filler for this episode. Dexter didn't want any attachments, so why on earth would he agree to being set for a blind date by Deborah?

Cheryl

5. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard

Advertisements

Social relationships were necessary to him as part of his disguise.
    To fit in. Be unremarkable.

6. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I'm not sure why he would plan his first date around one of his killings. Or did that guy just happen to be in the same cafe? Seemed kind of weird.

7. toddvj

toddvj New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    "Sorry for your loss." :D

I thought the whole Deb/Quinn thing was a bit contrived and not true to life at all, but other than that, the episode was excellent.

8. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    He probably had already planned the kill for a while, and when the date was set up he figured he could kill two birds with one stone. He likely didn't give a damn about the date anyway.

9. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought this episode was great, and of course MCH is consistently fantastic. I felt sorry for him trying to figure out how to deal with poor Astor and Cody. He was just so lost.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I definitely remember it differently. IIRC, he called Rita his "girlfriend" in episode one, so they were definitely dating and not just "friends." She was hesitant to have sex, and he was fine with that, but they were definitely dating. So I thought the flashbacks were pretty consistent with that.

10. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I guess I am the only one disappointed in this one. I kept hoping it would get past the sorrow after a death and into more of how he had to make changes to his life to be able to handle 3 kids and a job and go around killing people. To me it was drawn out to long.

11. HoldenBanky

HoldenBanky Insert witty remark

Oct 25, 2006
    NYC
    Rita even mentioned that the place seemed out of the way. I think they were telling us the whole date was just a cover for Dexter's business.

12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    No...he just happened to be there; Dexter looked genuinely surprised when he first saw the guy....wasn't planned.

13. TampaThunder

TampaThunder Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Tampa, FL
    So Dexter just carries around a loaded syringe and gloves in the event he runs into somebody on his hit list? He deliberately parked his car to block the bad guy in. Planned without a doubt.

14. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Of course he does....he's DEXTER!

15. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    This was actually discussed during Season 1. Deborah fixed him up with Rita, who she knew because of the problems Rita was having with her ex. She knew her brother was not social and that Rita was damaged, and thought they could help each other, thus the blind date. They never talked about meeting as friends - they specifically discussed that they met on a blind date set up by Deb. I suspect he agreed because it would look even more suspicious if he never went out - this way he used the date as a cover for a kill (I do not believe it was a coincidence - he set the date there for the kill).

I thought the flashbacks did show some of the progress he had made since he met Rita...

16. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Was that his first unplanned kill?

And is it me or is MCH wearing a wig?

I though Rita's daughter did a good job in this episode.

17. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I thought he might be wearing a wig, too, because he did go through chemo during the hiatus.

18. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Aside from when he stabbed the wrong guy (who turned out to be a bad guy).

They sure set the bathroom victim to look like an unlikable guy. The only thing missing was a neon sign about his head that said 'runs a meth lab'.

19. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Wait...his name was Walter?

20. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    They have the whole season to deal with him handling 3 kids and a job and going around killing people. It wouldn't have made sense to kill off a major character of the show and a major part of Dexter's life and then just brush it off with a "nothing more to see here; move along" attitude.

I read she's going to have a bit of a bigger role this year.