Device unable to communicate with other devices

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by stonewallers, Aug 20, 2018.

1. stonewallers

stonewallers Member

Apr 8, 2010

Advertisements

After the addition of a new Bolt to my network, I can no longer access my roamio plus from any other device on my network. I have had no luck contacting tivo for help so I was going to request here.

Further info:
    The roamio is not accessible from any other device on my system. It has the same MAK, is running the same software version (20.74.RC42, I rolled back the new bolt), and is on the same local subnet as every other device on my network (192.168.0.xxx). I have checked and video sharing is selected on the website. I have tried to restart and reconnect to the network on all of my devices numerous times in the last week. In all cases, every device (three minis, 2 bolts, 3 premiers and 1 HD) can both see and transfer/stream from every other device except the roamio. The roamio can "see" the updated list of devices but gives an error when trying to connect to any other device. The roamio can also access any internet sourced app (e.g., netflix).

This behavior only began after I added a new Bolt to my network. In fact the roamio used to serve all 3 minis. I only switched them to the new Bolt after I could no longer access the roamio. Does anyone have any potential solutions?

2. stonewallers

stonewallers Member

Apr 8, 2010
    well, I tried tivo chat but it was not very helpful:

Upon checking here your Roamio is okay. Since you did the necessary steps and the issue persist. I highly suggest to contact our customer phone support to further investigate regarding this case.

11:50:54 AM
    Please contact us at Customer Support:
    Monday-Friday, 7am-6pm PT
    Saturday & Sunday, 8am-5pm PT
    877-367-8486

11:51:02 AM
    We need to consult this matter.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    All I can say here is to try a reboot of the entire network starting from the modem/router/gateway, wait until each unit is operational again, working to the Tivo. Then, have the Tivos (all) connect to Tivo service (settings/ network).

The Roamio giving error may be because it does not have the network permissions, until it connects to Tivo service.

4. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Connect to Tivo a few times. Disconnect the Bolt from the network to see if the Roamio can now be used.

5. stonewallers

stonewallers Member

Apr 8, 2010

Advertisements

Thanks guys. It seems like the error might be fixed by continual connections to the tivo network. Either that or tivo did somethign when looking into it yesterday. I had previously tried rebooting the entire network as well as multiple tivo connections. Last night when checking I was able to at least see the My shows list on other tivos (like the Bolt). The menu was in SD and that didn't work for all the tivos. I didn't have time to check the entire setup but at least the problem is now moving. I'm going to give it a couple days for all the devices to connect multiple times. Besides streaming purposes, I really would like to move one of the minis back to the roamio as a source tuner.

6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Another thing to consider is the high number of devices you have on your TiVo account - from your OP, you have at least 10. I know there is a limit around there, but I don't remember exactly what it is. It seems possible this could be your problem, since it only started when you added ANOTHER device.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The limit is 12.

8. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Is that 12 active devices, or 12 TOTAL?

Many of us have older devices still on our account that are not being used, and some that are not even currently active on a service plan. For example, I have 5 active devices on my account, and two inactive devices - one of which is a Bolt that was exchanged under warranty several years ago.

Furthermore, when you hit the limit, what happens? Does the system just refuse to add any more devices, or do things start nutting up?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  9. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If memory serves, it is 12 devices total, in my case, all of my minis just stopped working. The work around was to open a 2nd Tivo account and move any inactive/unused Tivos to that 2nd account.

10. stonewallers

stonewallers Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Well that is interesting. But I wonder why that wouldn't have been mentioned in my chat. They surely could see the number of devices. In any event, here's the numbers:
    14 devices total. All listed under "active" (even though they are not, I even renamed two of them to dead tivo and one to s2 inactive)
    So that leaves 11 total active tivo devices. hmmm, I just noticed that I don't even recognize one of the premiere's listed. I wonder if I had one crash and replaced it? I really can't remember doing that. Right now I only have 10 devices that are "dialing in"

Interestingly the mini's didn't stop working just the Roamio. And the Roamio is working for all aspects accept linking to all the other devices.

Is it possible it goes by number of tuners? By my count I have 22 tuners.

Anyway, I didn't get a chance to turn on a tv and check last night if the issue is resolved. I haven't gotten complaints from the family that something is wrong so at least the status quo is still valid. But I'm glad I've gotten suggestions on things to check. Thanks all.

* In full disclosure, this past week I upgraded the entire home network with a new modem(s). I had some issues with comcast setting up separate internet and phone modems but that has all been resolved and as far as I can tell has no relation to this issue. My next step if nothing else works will be to switch all the ethernet devices to static IPs and only have the wireless devices get an assigned IP.

11. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Nope. The limit is on the number of boxes.

12. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Your problem has nothing to do with your LAN or IP addresses - you have already shown that the device communicates fine with the Internet. Your issue is specific to communications between TiVo devices, and this is totally controlled by your TiVo account, MAK, and the rest of what makes up multi-room viewing. How that exactly works is all under the covers and shrouded in mystery, and it has gotten more forked up with Horrible Hydra. Perhaps the issue is with the number of devices sharing the same MAK instead of simply being registered to the same account? I don't think anyone really knows, and it probably makes little difference (since the same MAK is needed to enable MRV)

But the limit on devices in your account is a well-known issue that has been discussed off and on here for many many years. Accept it, deal with the required work-around, and move on. You can't push the river.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  13. stonewallers

stonewallers Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Yep. It looks like that is correct. The roamio can now see the my shows lists from several devices but it switches which ones it can't "see" and all those menus are in SD. It's probably a function of the order in which they are connecting to tivo.

Ok, so that workaround...

14. stonewallers

stonewallers Member

Apr 8, 2010
    How do you go about doing this? I couldn't find a way to move my inactive devices over to the "inactive devices" list. The only thing I could do is unselect sharing and enable downloads for those devices (which does get me down to 10). But I'm doubtful that works. I couldn't figure out how to open a 2nd account and transfer inactive devices to that account.

I'm guessing whatever the work around is, it requires a phone call? ugh. Looks like I'm going to have to find time to do that after all. But if anyone knows of a way to do this online and not involving a phone, I'd love to hear it.

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry, it's a phone call to de-activate a unit. I have done it twice. It's not like you are asking for help or support. Both times it was a two minute call. There will then appear a tab in your account listing the inactive devices. I don't know what happens when you sell one or if you start a second account. BTW, I have always activated a unit on-line when not bought from TiVo.

16. stonewallers

stonewallers Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Thanks, I'm an 'avoid using the phone if at all possible' person but it's good to hear that it's likely a short time investment. (I was on the phone for over an hour with comcast last week. It was a complicated change so I expected some time investment but I'm a bit more adverse now).

17. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I believe inactive devices on your account are those that no longer have any service (so for us those are the ones where we took advantage of specials for lifetime "transfers" with the purchase of a new TiVo). If the ones you are considering inactive as they are no longer dialing in have lifetime service, you'll need to move them to another e-mail address as mentioned.

Scott

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    On my account, I have two deactivated (inactive) devices. This is what it looks like:
    inactive.jpg

The Roamio has been activated twice for 29 days just for testing.

19. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Right, you don't have service on those at this time.

Scott