Detroit 187 Premiere SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scottjf8, Sep 21, 2010.

1. scottjf8

scottjf8 That A-hole

Nov 11, 2001
    McKinney, TX

Advertisements

I liked it.. Gonna need some work and some of the continuity needs work (when he drank the perps drink in the interrogation room, the perp called it soda instead of pop)

And ketchup on a coney? Grossness

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    All I saw was Ray Carling without the mutton chop beard. I might watch it as I can.

3. desaun

desaun Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Yeah, I noticed the soda/pop thing too. Should get more consistent as the show progresses. My understanding is they didn't really start shooting here in Detroit until the 3rd episode. So I'm waiting for the "Real" Detroit episodes.

And, ummm, I put ketchup (and more mustard) on my coney's. Guess I'm not the norm.

Overall, I liked it...so far.

4. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I liked it very much. This SP is a keeper for a while at least.

And count me among those that put ketchup on their hot dog. Ketchup and relish...no mustard. Why does it bug other people what condiments I use?

5. berkchops516

berkchops516 Member

Dec 5, 2005
    NY

Advertisements

Did not see that ending coming.

6. sakura panda

sakura panda Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SE Michigan
    A coney already has sauce and condiments on it -- if you want to have ketchup, just get a hot dog and don't bother with a coney. :p

I haven't watched it yet but they've been promoting it like crazy on the local news, so I have an SP set, mostly out of curiousity, because it doesn't really look like the kind of show I usually watch.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Maybe he's from Wisconsin?

8. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    A coney is a type of hot dog that originated in Michigan and is a pretty big deal in Detroit (there's a Coney Island restaurant in the Tigers' ballpark). I don't like chili, mustard or onions so it doesn't appeal to me, and thus I can't speak to the horror of putting ketchup on one, but it's not as simple as being appalled at the condiments someone puts on a hot dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_hot_dog

9. Sparty99

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Some thoughts:

-The soda/pop thing was a fairly big deal here, as apparently one of the local radio shows had callers talking about it this morning (I just watched it so I knew of the issue). The soda/pop thing is a major issue. They're going to have to fix this.
    -The other issue I saw was when the top cop (the woman with the shaved head) went on TV to plead for the kids' return, she was on WZMT 17, neither of which are present in Detroit. I'm guessing this is a pretty common thing, but I don't get why they can't have the local ABC affiliate present on the show.
    -187 is not the murder code in Detroit, but apparently Detroit 750 probably wouldn't catch as many viewers.
    -The scene where the guy had been hit by the car and was being interviewed by the cop was obviously left over from when they were filming it as a faux-documentary format (as evidenced by the guy throwing his grill into the camera).

I'm pretty much going all in on this show if for no other reason than there hasn't been a show filmed here since I've lived here (and the first episode was filmed in Atlanta). I don't really anticipate seeing anything that looks familiar, as I don't really travel in areas where a lot of murders take place (not sure if that matters for the purposes of these dramatic shows).

10. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Soda? Pop? Everyone drinks Vernors there anyway.

11. pcguru83

pcguru83 RIP Misty

Jan 18, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    So is that how the show was originally planned? If so, I'm guessing we won't be seeing any more of it. That's too bad, that was probably one of my favorite parts of the episode. It had a pretty cool vibe too it.

12. desaun

desaun Member

Mar 17, 2004
    With most FOX shows they always use a local FOX affiliate for their fake news broadcasts. WZMT doesn't even exist as a television station (it is a radio station, however). Don't know why ABC couldn't do the same.

I'll give it a pass though since this was the pilot.

13. Sparty99

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Yes, it was originally planned to be a documentary style format (and also not filmed in Detroit). However, over the summer a 7-year-old girl was shot and killed during a raid in which a film crew for The First 48 was filmed. Detroit subsequently banned ridealongs and the producers changed the format of the show.

One of the local papers had a retired homicide detective do a write up on some of the things they got wrong, and a fair number of them were rather minor items in the grand scheme of things but I think would be good to incorporate into a show about Detroit (for instance, Detroit can't afford helicopters so it didn't belong in the climactic scene).

14. plowsterbabe

plowsterbabe Indentured Servant

Feb 22, 2005
    Greenville, SC
    Is filming for the series going to move to Detroit? It was kind of neat seeing Atlanta streets I know...and also the intersection I had my car accident at was in the bridge scene :)

15. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    Now that's the part of the show I totally despised! I can't deal with "shaky-cam" and (even though I've never watched the show), I had the feeling with the bleeps and pixelization of their mouths, that they were trying to make it look like COPS or something. If they dump that style, I'd be very happy.

Overall though, I was more impressed with the cast and plots that I expected to be.

But I am wondering if the "newbie" partner is really dead or not. Based on the previews for next week, it was really hard to tell. Opinions?

Cheryl

16. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I kinda did. Why do so many perps on TV manage to grab a cop's gun and blast away? Have these guys never dealt with desperate prisoners before? Gimme a frikkin' break.

Other than that I really liked it.

17. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Every time I was arrested the cops locked there guns up as they came into the police station. So I know that is a bunch of crap.
    I was born and raised in the detroit area so I'll enjoy see the hood again.

18. SorenTodd

SorenTodd New Member

May 26, 2009
    I'm surprised he didn't offer him a can of Faygo soda-pop. Or does that only come in 2-liter bottles?

I liked the bleeped out swearing, reminded me of Southland. Only in this case, I knew exactly what they were saying.

As to the local affiliate WZMT thing, shows that take place in NYC never get the channel right either. Even if they don't live in the area, is it that hard to look up the channel on Wikipedia?

19. scottjf8

scottjf8 That A-hole

Nov 11, 2001
    McKinney, TX
    It's just Faygo Pop :D

And it comes in cans, 20 oz bottles, and 2L. (They might even still have 3L bottles)

20. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    What happened to this show?