Desktop 2.4 w/ PLUS - ZEN Vision:W

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by drosoph, Mar 21, 2007.

1. drosoph

drosoph Distinguished Member

Mar 21, 2000
    Allen, TX, USA

Advertisements

I would like to transfer files from TiVo to my new ZEN Vision:W (60G) ... I saw that the new 2.4 release of TiVo Desktop adds conversion of files in a directory TO the TiVo ... are these files stored on your PC or is it done on-the-fly so that you couldnt use this transcoder to send files to your ZEN Vision:W ?

I would LIKE to be able to transcode existing .TIVO files to my ZEN and for other files that I have I would like to transcode and transfer to my ZEN ... Is this possible?

Thanks,
    Drosoph

2. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    You should not have to get the 2.4 with plus. The Zen will work with the 2.3 version.

I have two TiVos - 1) a Humax DRT800 and 2) a TiVo brand Series 2 140 hour. They require different ways to handle getting the recordings on to my Zen.

The easy one first. From the Series 2, I do TiVoToGo and send the files to my computer. I use DirectShow Dump to turn the .tivo file into a "movie clip". THis only takes maybe 30 seconds to do an hour long program. I then use Windows Media Player and use the "Sync" function to copy the files over. That takes a minute or so to move over.

On the Humax, apparently it uses a different unrecognized audio format (AA3 I think). It is more involved. I start out the same, but have to use a commercial transcoding software to convert it from the "movie clip" into a avi file. Takes an hour+ of transcoding to end up with a playable avi file.

Anyway, that's my experience. If you have the series 2, don't bother getting the upgraded TiVo Desktop.

Regards,
    Jim