Designated Survivor (ABC): Season One thread **spoilers**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Nov 10, 2016.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Season Thread for Designated Survivor on ABC. Spoilers abound...enter at your own risk.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This show is ok, not great, but I feel it starting to slip a little each week. I like the mystery part, but the way they're writing the President makes it unbearable to watch. Yes, I get he didn't ask for the job, but his wishy-washy, whichever way the wind blows persona is killing me. It's like every week he faces a crisis of conscience, and every week he gets his spine back. Either do the job or quit.

And the way he handles groups like the governors is amazing in its ineptness. Walks out while confessing to doubts, comes back to win them back, then gives in to a Trumpian demand. Geez, grow a pair.

And his wife. He's trying to rebuild Congress, and she is bugging him about a plane of refugees. Maybe he has bigger things to worry about?

And the kid who may not be his? Please, for goodness sake, drop it. WE DON'T CARE ABOUT STORY LINES INVOLVING TEENS. In any show. The only good thing is at least we haven't had to see them in several eps.

So... bottom line. This was the worst episode yet, by far. The next one is the bubble. Strong comeback, SP lives. Otherwise, whack it!

Oh, I almost forgot. Highest security prisoner in the history of the US. Was there anyone watching who really thought he would survive the episode? Cliche time!

I had hopes for this one.

ADG likes this.
  2. DavidJL

DavidJL Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Dana Point, CA
    I'm done, the pilot had a great hook, but maybe there wasn't much place to go after that. I've liked it less each week. Maybe if they cancel it Sutherland can join 24.

Blurayfan likes this.
  3. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I am enjoying it but he was way to wishy washy in this episode.
    The mystery still has my interest so I will keep watching.

4. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I'm enjoying it, but I just sort of like the drama and Keifer Sutherland as anti-Jack Bauer. It's pretty predictable, mostly, but yeah, there's enough left to uncover that it keeps me on board.

5. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma

Advertisements

I wanted to smack his wife and all the assembled governors. She was WAY too strident over a plane of 300 refugees that Canada was willing to accept. To paraphrase "But it's Canada. It's not America. Waaaaaahhhh, blubber blubber, <insert more passive aggressive BS whining>". The governors were just too... well, honestly I was bored with the whole governor demands plotline and skipped most of it.

6. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Yeah, he IS the president constitutionally. If they refuse to accept him, they're committing treason. I assume they're planning elections soon, so it's just temporary. What are they going to do, secede from the union?

But the mystery is good--the congressman seems so nice and innocent. Hard to believe he's not. I'll keep watching. :up:

7. tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
    I didn't make it halfway through this episode. I'm done with it.

8. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I quit. It's like the writers aren't even trying. Ridiculous scene followed by absurd scene followed by outlandish scene. The son who isn't my son is just icing on the cake.

There was a time I would have kept watching just to see whodunit. Then I got burnt by one too many FlashForward, and I swore to myself I would never watch a show just for that reason.

9. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I never liked the hokey dialogue full of platitudes but I liked the plot. Now I dislike that it seems to be moving towards resembling a Thursday night Shondaland show (a bad thing IMO). However, I'm still in at least through the winter finale. Like many dramas this would work better as a miniseries where they stay focused suspensefully solving the mystery, busting the traitors, and calling it a wrap.

10. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I think the FBI guy made a huge mistake letting that woman go who stole his kid. With her in custody, they have a big advantage in getting intel. I doubt they would actually kill the kid.

Plus, it may be illegal to let her go.

11. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    Would you be willing to do that if it was your child?

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I'm still watching but almost lost it when the governors wanted him to answer personal questions before they named a senate. Really? You don't name a senator based on who the president is. You name a senator to name a senator. Someone writing this show needs a civics lesson.

DevdogAZ likes this.
  13. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I agree with everything you said. I'll also add Kiefer Sutherland's terribly annoying half whisper-half normal voice style of "acting". Having said that, the simple fact that he's in it made it clear from the start how unrealistic the show would be so I'm on board (for now) just for the fun of it. My wife gave up after two episodes, but I'll continue to watch until it gets tooooo silly (probably sooner rather than later :) ).

14. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This is part of why I gave up. They are working so hard to find "Catalan", who is only responsible for the worst terrorist act ever committed upon our shores. So when someone from Catalan actually shows up...

What would I do? Who knows, we can never know what we would do in these artificial TV scenarios unless it happens to us. But in the show, I would have shot her in the leg.

And the entire scene where the Acting Director visits the Pres just killed me. Just tell him you need to speak privately. And why, for the love of every TV trope, do they keep the detection of massive conspiracies to themselves.

No one straw did it, but the combined weight of all these ridiculosities (© astrohip) was to much to bear.

15. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I understand the inclination to let her go. But, with her in custody, he has the full weight of several agencies to help rescue the child. Now, he's own his own, with no guarantees.

That's my instinct from my training as a former deputy sheriff, way back in the day.

16. mrdbdigital

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    And quite probably a dead kid with the sort of nuts running around today.

Remember, they're dealing with a group that has no problem killing people.

17. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    True, but I think he's at a bigger disadvantage trying to find him on his own, and still do his day job.

But, I concede, it will be a concern.

18. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    My concern is it's a tired old trope. How many times have we seen the loved one of a key character kidnapped, forcing the character to do something totally out of... character. This show just needs better writers. Writers who come up with fresh ideas, not the same ol' "we've kidnapped your child" or "there is a massive conspiracy to overthrow the guv, with hundreds of people involved but we can keep it a secret" or "the FBI agent knows a CIA agent who just happens to know the secret code name of the most secret conspiracy on earth".

Show me something exciting and new.

19. mrdbdigital

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    This is American television; ain't gonna happen. :(

20. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    So the kid is probably dead anyway.

I know it's tough, but I would hope that our leaders wouldn't do something that would kill thousands of people or destroy cities just because someone is threatening a loved one. On Tv they always do whatever the kidnapper says, but it works out all right anyway. In real life probably not.