Departures: North Korea eps

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Dec 30, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I found these when going thru my North Korea wishlist.

There are two eps of the show Departures on Halogen (HALO) channel on North Korea. I've never even heard of this channel or show but I've always been fascinated by the totalitarian regime and conditions in NK. Might be of interest to those who are too. There are a few more airings in the next two weeks.

edit: I've watched most of the 1st ep. It was just ok. I think I liked the first half or so better. The tone of the piece was very different from most pieces I've seen on NK.

I do wish it were more packed w/info instead of a lot of filler content.

2. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Ok. I've finished both eps.

If you're looking for it to be packed w/factual info, you'll be disappointed. There was a lot of filler and a lot of the guys saying how they were taking in their culture. Perhaps they didn't realize that the shows that were being put on for them, the Mass Games they went to and so on were all part of NK propaganda, in an attempt to glorify their country and system.

It was funny that they were taken to a water bottling plant and even one the NK minders wasn't that excited about going there. Odd that there were workers there but the line was totally stopped.

The farm was pretty funny too w/there being a museum full of stuff that Kim Il Song used or sat on when he had visited the farm.

If on the other hand, you want to see more of the Mass Games and random performances by kids than the clips typically shown on other NK documentaries/pieces, this is the one for you.

I've seen other special, documentaries and segments (like on 60 Minutes) on NK that were a better use of time.

3. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    If anyone's interested, these eps will be rerun in the next 2 weeks.

4. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I went to South Korea for work in the late 90s and took a tour of the DMZ (where I might or might not have stepped into North Korea :)). It's fascinating how North Korea acts. From the blaring Propaganda Village to the tour buildings at the DMZ, they're all about pomp and looks, and generally it's showy with no substance, but it's obvious!