Deleting Tivo Beacon - Problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by wazzudude5, Aug 11, 2007.

1. wazzudude5

wazzudude5 New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Hey there,
    I'm having trouble installing Desktop 2.5, and starting scouring my computer for TIVO files.
    I've been able to delete everything EXCEPT the TivoBeacon folder. I can't even delete TivoBeacon from my registry. It keeps claiming I need admin rights, which I do have. I'm the only user on my computer!
    Anyone have any ideas how to completely scrub it off my hard drive?

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    right click on the key while in the registry and take ownership. Then set its permission to everyone. You can delete it after that.

3. wazzudude5

wazzudude5 New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Curious Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've tried that. I've changed all the permissions.

I am having the problem on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_TIVOBEACON2

I've tried it on the three different Control Sets, and I get the same error message stating that I can't delete the key.

Any other ideas?

4. raiden256

raiden256 Member

Mar 30, 2002
    It shouldn't even technically matter. "ControlSet001" is not in use currently. Think of it as the way your system looked before your last significant change. "CurrentControlSet" contains the settings currently in use by your machine. Something in "ControlSet001" shouldn't be affecting a current problem.

This is how I understand it all, anyway.

5. wazzudude5

wazzudude5 New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    I can't delete the TIVOBEACON2 in any Control Set

6. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    My suggestion came from this page by markdmac. There is word document with pictures showing how to delete those keys as a part of getting 2.5 to install after having hacked 2.4 onto vista using orca.

Beyond that, I have no further idea what to try.

CuriousMark