deleting songs from IPOD

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dgel, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jan 4, 2006 #1 of 11
    dgel

dgel New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    Sorry this isn't a tivo related question, but I'm sure someone out there can help me with this. My wife reformatted our computer and deleted all the songs I had on itunes. When I go to recharge my ipod , will it delete all songs since there no longer on itunes? If not, then how do i go about deleting them myself? Thanks (I have an ipod mini and it sucks that it doesn't have a delete function internally!

2. Jan 4, 2006 #2 of 11
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

if you have it set to full, autosync, yes, it will delete them.

I guess they don't see the need to delete them from the iPod. I supposed the logic is that there is no reason to delete if you can't get anything else on there unless it's hooked up to the computer with iTunes.

3. Jan 4, 2006 #3 of 11
    dgel

dgel New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    How do I change the setting so I can hook it up to download new stuff without losing all from ipod?

4. Jan 4, 2006 #4 of 11
    Webchump

Webchump All In

Jan 1, 2004
    Suwanee, GA
    The better question is how do you get back the songs that you downloaded and purchased from itunes. I would recommend that you get a tool that allows you to pull the data off your ipod before you worry about deleting them. Otherwise all of those songs you paid for are gone!

Do a search on google, there are several tools available that can take songs off your ipod.

5. Jan 4, 2006 #5 of 11
    debest

debest Where's the remote?

May 24, 2003
    Portland, OR
    dgel,

If you want to clear out your ipod, then you should use the ipod updater to "restore" your ipod. This will essentially erase all songs/files off your ipod and restore it to it's original settings. This file came on a CD with the ipod. Or you can download it from apple (http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/).

I read somewhere a while back that it's good to restore your ipod every now and again. This basically defragments your hard-disk which improves battery life a bit.

FYI, there is an excellent forum for ipod people (http://forums.ilounge.com/).

By the way, if you search around you may find a utility that will copy the song files from your ipod to your computer.

Good luck.

6. Jan 4, 2006 #6 of 11
    Marco

Marco Loyal Little

Sep 19, 2000
    Capital of...
    Also, the Happy Hour crowd will be happy to deal with these questions here.

7. Jan 4, 2006 #7 of 11
    dgel

dgel New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    Thanks guys! I found a download that will let me transfer songs from ipod to computer. Last question--when I plug ipod into computer, since I have no songs on itunes, will it automatically delete my ipod songs or give me an option. Or do I need to delete itunes first before hooking up th ipod?

8. Jan 4, 2006 #8 of 11
    emeril2k1

emeril2k1 New Member

Sep 9, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Turn Auto-Sync off. When you add new songs to iTunes just drag and drop the Library icon to your iPod icon. (Remember never to turn Auto-Sync back on...)

9. Jan 4, 2006 #9 of 11
    dgel

dgel New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    just looked thru all the menus on th ipod and can't locate the auto sync--where is it?

10. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    it's in iTunes.

If it's a fresh install of iTunes, iTunes will think that iPod has NOT bee associated with that install of iTunes. It asks you if you want to associate the iPod with it. If you say NO, then it should not delete the songs.

If you DO want to associate the iPod with that install of iTunes, say YES. Then, you can go into the iTunes preferences. In there, you'll get the preferences for how you sync the iPod.

11. TivoZorro

TivoZorro New Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Pinehurst,...