Deleting programs does not free-up space on hard disk - Bolt VOX w/3TB HD & 6 tuners

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jeff Rosen, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Oct 2, 2019 #1 of 11
    Jeff Rosen

Jeff Rosen New Member

Oct 2, 2019

Advertisements

New to the forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a BOLT VOX with a 3TB HD and 6 Tuners. I have Spectrum using a Cable Card & Tuning Adapter.

A few months ago (when my hard disk percentage was at about 60%), I deleted a bunch of programs (about 40 hours) and the percentage did not got down AT ALL. I had a bad feeling it was not going to get any better.
    I have now FILLED up my hard disk and am having trouble clearing space. My hard disk space teeters between 99% and 100%.
    When I set a program to record, I get an error message saying there is not enough room to record. I will delete a program of the same stats (ie same run time and quality (HD vs SD)). When I try again, invariably I get the same error. I have to delete ANOTHER program. And then I will be able to schedule the new program.
    As an example, I will delete a 1 hour program but will only be able to schedule in a 30 minute program to record. If I delete a 30 minute program, I WON'T be able to schedule a new program at all. If I delete a 2 hour program, I will only be able to schedule a 1 1/2 hour program (or a 1 hr & a 30 minute). Every one-in-a-while, I will get a 1:1 delete/record ratio.

Again, any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.
    Jeff R.

2. Oct 2, 2019 #2 of 11
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    In your My Shows folder, at the very bottom do you see a folder named Recently Deleted Recordings?

You shouldn't have to do this step, since it is supposed to be automatic, but if you go into that folder and hit Clear on the remote it will prompt you to permanently delete the selected deleted recording.

Try that on them and see if it frees up anything. It can't hurt, and if it works it will at least be a temporary fix.

3. Oct 2, 2019 #3 of 11
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Reboot the Bolt. If that does not resolve the issue, try a kickstart 58 during boot. If that still does not resolve the issue, then more drastic steps may need to be taken like a clear and delete everything.

Mikeguy and ClearToLand like this.
  4. Oct 2, 2019 #4 of 11
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It sounds like you are using Keep Until I Delete on everything, which would stop recording new content when it fills up the drive.

If you can see a green dot next to each show, that is Keep Until I delete option. It may be set under each pass set options. you should be using Until Space Is Needed.

It's also wise to delete shows when you're done watching.

Deleting shows will put them into Recently Deleted folder and shows there gets removed when space is Needed, followed by suggestions if enabled, then it moves to remove shows marked Until Space Needed.

By using Keep Until I Delete sparingly, you can have space for more recording.

Mikeguy and jmbach like this.
  5. Oct 2, 2019 #5 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Jeff, a few items. That Recently Deleted Recordings folder. If it is empty, your drive is probably physically full. The only control you have over that folder is to kill programs. KUID does not change that. When you delete a program it goes into that folder and will be killed when the drive needs space. TiVo does that. That folder is not included in the drive space calculation for disk used/free space.

I have a 1TB drive and a 3TB drive. The 1TB drive gets full about every month or two. I can tell since the last program gets killed. On my 3TB drive I have never filled it up. I kill all programs in that folder except Jimmy Kimmel Live! and they go back to October 2017. It's ABC so they are small. When the 1TB drive is full, I kill the whole month. It's my lame method of defrag.

Here's my default 1P:
    1PDefault.JPG

I never use KUID. But if you have more than one TiVo, and you transfer a file, the file becomes KUID after a few days.

6. Oct 4, 2019 #6 of 11
    Jeff Rosen

Jeff Rosen New Member

Oct 2, 2019
    I reboot at least once a week, that is not helping.
    What is a "kickstart 58"?

7. Oct 4, 2019 #7 of 11
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Check here for more info.

8. Oct 4, 2019 #8 of 11
    Jeff Rosen

Jeff Rosen New Member

Oct 2, 2019
    Yes, I do use KUID. We do delete programs when we are done watching them. But as I said, we seem to be getting a 2-to-1 ratio of deleted programs to scheduled new recordings (we delete 1 hour and it only allows us to schedule a 1/2 hour program, 2 hours deleted -> 1 hour scheduled recording).
    Question: Would changing from "KUID" to "Keep until space is needed" and then deleting the program help in any way?

9. Oct 4, 2019 #9 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think you have a bigger problem. Try this: check SI for free space. Delete a 1 hour HD program. Go back and check disk space again. (Use a CBS program) If you don't gain 1 hour, there's a problem. As I posted earlier, killing a program in the folder Recently Deleted Programs does not affect free space shown in SI.

Stop using KUID. Have you ever lost a recording? Remember that deleted programs just go into that folder and are there until your disk is full and you need more space.

10. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    3TB and a full disk, and you do KUID?
    You need to spend some time and delete shows, delete delete,if that many and haven't watched yet? Will you ever really watch?

dianebrat likes this.
  11. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Using KUID too much can be problematic, especially with the crappy guide data that we get since the switch from Gracenote to Rovi. Every time I check my To Do List and look ahead more than 5 or 6 days I run into things like 15 'new' episodes of Fast & Loud that are scheduled to record from 1:00am to 4:00pm because the guide data is generic. With "Keep until space is needed" those scheduled recordings will fade out as the guide data gets more accurate and it only plans ahead for two days, but with KUID it plans ahead for everything. You can delete a one hour recording and it still thinks it needs 14 more hours worth of space.

sakaike and dianebrat like this.