Delayed Audio After FF

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by szatkoff, Sep 12, 2007.

1. szatkoff

szatkoff Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Des Plaines, IL
    The audio seems to be delayed after using the FF with at least two arrows. Anyone else experience this? I have noticed this on both analog and digital stations.

2. billmarrs

billmarrs New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    I'm having audio sync (e.g. lip sync) problems too. I was just going to post about it. I've been pulling my hair out over it. I'm pretty sure mine is delayed audio too. I've been trying various things to try to track it down, altering settings, etc. I have a new Samsung DLP TV as well, so I'm not sure whether to blame that.

After some experiments, it seemed that the HDMI connection may be the source for me. I tried a different cable, but no change. I've been using component cables instead and it seems better. I've read some stuff about HDMI and how the 1.3 version has sync built-in, but 1.3 isn't in common use yet, I think.

Sync problem can be subtle and once you start to focus on them, you can see them in all kinds of places. It's hard not to get side-tracked. Also, they aren't consistent for me, it seems. I notice them, so I start fiddling with things, then it gets better, but even if I got back to the original settings, it's OK too. So, the problem just resolved on its own. Rebooting the TiVo does seem to help, though it take a while with a S3.

I'm trying to only take note of significant sync problems. Some of my best examples have been when someone claps or hits something during a program. If the audio is off, it's pretty clear, and easy to see it's delayed too.

It seems like these sync problems aren't so common. I have founds some discussions in various places online, but the problem doesn't seem to happen for most people. So, I wonder if it's just a bad Series 3 and I should look into getting a warranty replacement.

I'm actually a long-time TiVo user, I had a Series 1 for about 7 years before I upgraded to a Series 3 this year. Our S1 occasionally had sync issues too, though not very often. But, our Series 3 seems to get them quite often.

I hadn't associated the problem with FF, but I always use a two arrow FF, so if it is that, it makes sense. Still, I want to use double-arrow FF, so maybe I do need to seek a warranty replacement.

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If you are running HDMI directly to your TV for audio (i.e. no surround receiver), then you may want to set audio output to PCM under Settings -> Audio.

A few channels, namely TNT-HD, are known to suffer from regular sync issues, regardless of the box.

4. szatkoff

szatkoff Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Des Plaines, IL
    Billmarrs - I seem to just get a delay in the sound coming on after coming out of the FF function(kind of like a pause in the audio portion). I believe all my audio is in sync after that.

I don't have HDMI on my TV or receiver, so I am using a digital optical cable and component video.

5. vascott1

vascott1 Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Same for me. After a FF I usually have silence for about 10 seconds. Enough to miss some dialog at times and having to rewind a bit. Annoying but workable now that my pixilation issues are gone.

6. billmarrs

billmarrs New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    OK, that's sounds pretty different from the problem I'm having. Sorry for the confusion.

7. szatkoff

szatkoff Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Des Plaines, IL
    No problem! I wasn't exactly clear from the beginning.

8. mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I have the same issue. I didn't notice it before this weekend, so I'm wondering if it cropped up with the new update.

9. szatkoff

szatkoff Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Des Plaines, IL
    I think I have noticed this all along, not just after the last update?

I guess a call to TiVo customer service is in order.