Delay when scrolling after updating software. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by johndoedoes, Jun 29, 2020 at 12:06 AM.

1. johndoedoes

johndoedoes Member

Oct 10, 2015
    I updated my original Bolt’s software and I have no complaints. I use Channel Up/Down to jump through the pages and I thought it looked a bit delayed.

I recently purchased a new Mini and scrolled for comparison, and it’s instant. I attached a video of the delayed scrolling on the Bolt.

Is this normal with the original Bolt and is there a way to fix it?

2. johndoedoes

johndoedoes Member

Oct 10, 2015
    I updated my original Bolt’s software and I have no complaints. I use Channel Up/Down to jump through the pages and I thought it looked a bit delayed.

I recently purchased a new Mini and scrolled for comparison, and it’s instant. I attached a video of the delayed scrolling on the Bolt.

Is this normal with the original Bolt and is there a way to fix it?

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    No need to cross post multiple times because you didn't get an answer in the middle of the night.
    The answer is that after any large OS update you should give it 24 hours or so to settle in and let it handle all its background updates before making the call on speed.

JoeKustra likes this.
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'll speculate it's the background video, which can be disabled. I don't see that delay on a basic Roamio which is less powerful than a Bolt. However TE4 has more text in its descriptions, which causes a slight speed hit. Nothing can be done about that, and I find the TE4 guide better than TE3.

5. johndoedoes

johndoedoes Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Both videos are playing in the background on both devices.

The video probably doesn’t do it justice because the Mini is instant when I click the remote and the Bolt is slightly delayed (in addition to the slower scrolling) when clicking the remote.

6. johndoedoes

johndoedoes Member

Oct 10, 2015
    It’s been about 48 hours.

The video probably doesn’t do it justice because the Mini is instant when I click the remote and the Bolt is slightly delayed (in addition to the slower scrolling) when clicking the remote.