Degrassi: TNG - new season!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by starbreiz, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Jul 4, 2005 #1 of 34
    starbreiz

starbreiz Fangirl

Jan 29, 2005
    Mountain...

Advertisements

I'm completely addicted to Degrassi: TNG... yes, I'm old enough to remember the original Degrassi in the 80s. It's driving me up a wall that The-N/Noggin is giving their new episodes all the same generic description, and my TiVo seems to think every rerun of the new episode is also new. Not only that, but The-N's listings have been completely off this weekend, and it's really recording "Instant Star" instead of Degrassi half of the time.

That said... anyone else actually watch this? I'm excited for the new season and enjoyed "Secrets". I am noticing that the previews for next week allude to Manny's abortion, despite the fact that they never aired that episode in the US.

2. Jul 5, 2005 #2 of 34
    AliaDoh

AliaDoh Under the Radar

Apr 23, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    I watched it, and I was totally confused for half of the episode. Was it a two parter, or do I just not remember last season? All that stuff about the ravine was totally new to me. I wish they would air the abortion episode- how NOT in the spirit of Degrassi for the N to shy away from a controversial subject.

BTW, you look like Manny in your avatar, Starbreiz.

3. Jul 5, 2005 #3 of 34
    ThomasDrew

ThomasDrew New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Finally, a Degrassi TNG thread!

My interest was piqued a while back after reading about the Marco-Dylan gay storyline in The Advocate some time ago.

What I love about DeGrassi is how they tackle tough, real-life issues that affect today's teenagers in a manner that's tasteful and tactful, yet frank and brutally honest. The fact that this television program aimed at the 13-21 set demonstrates that Canadians give a lot more credit to their younger generation than we do, given the serious nature of the material.

Oral sex? Check. Abortion? Check. Gay issues? Check. Cancer? Check. School violence? Check....and the list goes on...I think Degrassi is "must see" viewing, particularly for the younger crowd. It deals with serious subject matter without being condescending...and I for one, think it's a breath of fresh air, particularly given the sorry state of affairs and general paranoia with our own programming and the "moral police" determined to censor and water down everything here in the U.S. (The debut of LOGO is another step in the right direction, however)

Speaking of Degrassi...Adamo Ruggiero did/does an amazing job of portraying a closeted gay kid coming to terms with his sexuality. This plotline ALONE is worth watching Degrassi....Two guys kissing...and talking about sex on a "kids show" gives me hope that the extreme right hasn't "won" everything just yet

4. Jul 5, 2005 #4 of 34
    Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    Is this where I confess to watching the show? :eek:

Thanks for the heads up on the new season. It'll be nice to see how much the kids have changed. I think I will record this in my bedroom tivo so no one else sees my addiction.

5. Jul 5, 2005 #5 of 34
    ThomasDrew

ThomasDrew New Member

Dec 29, 2003

Advertisements

The first handful of episodes are merely a continuation of season four, aired in Canada months ago. For whatever reason, they're delayed here in the U.S.

Emma and J.T. are growing up right before our eyes, whereas some of the others look exactly the same, save for a new hairstyle or two.

Don't "hide" your addiction. :D Yep, it's a "guilty pleasure" of mine too....As with "The O.C.", you can always use the excuse "But there are good adult characters and storylines on the show" Heeheee

6. starbreiz

starbreiz Fangirl

Jan 29, 2005
    Mountain...
    (I'm behind on the threads)
    ThomasDrew... so the US 'seasons' are off from the Canadian seasons? I didn't realize this wasn't the real season premiere. Damn Canucks... :p

7. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've only seen the show a few times but I definitely applaud it for going head on with issues that American Teenage television shows only touch upon ("Higher Ground" did too...I watched every episode of that show though).

8. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    OK... two threads in a row that I thought were Star Trek related (the other one was something about "The Q network"). Nothing to see here... move along! :)

9. smallwonder

smallwonder Age quod agis

Jun 13, 2001
    MD, USA
    I too am addicted based on my love of the original series. But what's this about Manny's abortion? Since the thread isn't spoiler tagged, I won't ask you to reveal any secrets but since they don't appear to be airing the ep. here in the US, can some kindly Canadian who's seen it provide a tagged synopsis of the plot for that episode and where in the schedule it would have fallen?

Was she pregnant with Craig or Spinner's baby?

My big beef with Noggin is the fact that the Tivo schedule doesn't take into account the music videos added on the end of each Noggin show. I learned to pad the frontend for 1 minute and the backend by 5 just to make sure the beginning and end of the recording don't get cut-off.

10. Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe what's going on in this show!!! Wow, just wow. There seems to be many shows coming up now. Also, there's Degrassi, Old School. Some of the original characters from there, Spike, Snake, and Joey Jeremiah are on the new Degrassi show as teachers and/or parents. Pretty cool to see them all grown up.

11. starbreiz

starbreiz Fangirl

Jan 29, 2005
    Mountain...
    Smallwonder: It was Craigs.

Havana: I remember seeing the original Degrassi, but it's wild to see it again and put everything in perspective with relation to where the characters are now. I'd totally forgotten about Shane when I saw the episode where Emma tries to find her father.

12. warpath

warpath The Dude Abides

Oct 13, 2002
    Hokie Nation
    I agree. This is my "dirty little secret" show that I am hopelessly addicted to, but often try to hide by presenting as coldly detached.

Some of my friends have made a great "Degrassi: TNG" Drinking game, which provides the "excuse" for watching the show. However, I think it's fair to say that I'm a bit of an addict.

13. ThomasDrew

ThomasDrew New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Great episode airing this Friday where Marco finally reveals to the entire school (and father) that he's gay.

14. starbreiz

starbreiz Fangirl

Jan 29, 2005
    Mountain...
    I shouldn't admit this, but I get so impatient that The-N is behind CTV, that i've been downloading them on Bit Torrent, re-encoding, and dumping to my TiVo. I've already seen the Marco episode. This season continued to get better and better.

And of course, I still do have a TiVo Season Pass, because I watch the episodes multiple times.

15. Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    OMG, there's been so many episodes of Degrassi lately since last week! I must say though, that the kids from Next Generation are much better actors than Old School. I'm still shocked at some of the story lines. Not just from Next Generation, but Old School too. They dealt with sex and pregnancy in the 80's!

16. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I thought about downloading it, but I noticed its really big in Canada, and I know that Canadians eat children and stomp on puppies so I declined.
    [I'll probably get around to it over winter break... sounds interesting.]

The title kind of threw me off though. It gave no indication of what the hell it was, like Veronica Mars.

17. BLeonard

BLeonard It Could Happen!

Nov 19, 1999
    Orlando,FL,USA
    This sounds like a show I would like but it seems like it would be difficult to join "in progress".

How many episodes have there been? Is it available on DVD?

18. starbreiz

starbreiz Fangirl

Jan 29, 2005
    Mountain...
    We're on season 5. The first two seasons on available on DVD, as well as the recent 3 eipsodes guest starring Kevin Smith.

19. Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    My son hates this show, but really enjoys Radio Free Roscoe, another Canadian show on the Noggin'.

20. starbreiz

starbreiz Fangirl

Jan 29, 2005
    Mountain...
    I watched that once when Paige from Degrassi guest starred. I couldn't get into it. But then,, Degrassi is more nostalgic for me I guess.