Deeper integration with Plex

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Feb 5, 2019 #1 of 42
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    One of the talking points from Ted's CES Facebook live video had to do with conversations they were having with Plex to create a Deeper integration.

Likely this would mean search and streaming service linking in My Shows.

As a big user of both Plex and TiVo, I am a fan of this improvement.

Thoughts?

krkaufman likes this.
  2. Feb 5, 2019 #2 of 42
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I guess that is good. I probably wouldn’t use it. Plex’s interface is better than TiVo’s.

3. Feb 5, 2019 #3 of 42
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    My first interest would be in PLEX having the ability to identify my entire movie collection, both local media and digital titles I own on VUDU, Movies Anywhere, iTunes, Prime, etc., as well as dynamic bookmarks for "favorite" content that may slide in and out of various subscribed streaming services, and then have the ability to launch the target content in whatever player is required.

This is basically the same thing that TiVo's OnePass should be able to do, were it to have any user-specific functionality. If PLEX having this capability could allow for my TiVo boxes to seemlessly access all my content, I'm all for it.

(p.s. And the above with user-, profile-specific customization.)

osu1991 likes this.
  4. Feb 5, 2019 #4 of 42
    dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    While I love the thought of having search across multiple apps including Plex, which I use every day, I would first want the developers of the Tivo Plex app to catch up to the other versions that are available on other platfoms. I am constantly having to switch to my roku because the Tivo Plex app will not play certain videos, mostly MKV files. It gets pretty frustrating and royally pisses off the Misses.

5. Feb 5, 2019 #5 of 42
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd even be OK if this level of integration only occurred within the mobile app, TiVo or PLEX ... if that's what it takes to get the capability.

6. Feb 8, 2019 #6 of 42
    jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I would dearly love if I could have plex items for shows I subscribe to show up in my shows. IE book marks to the episodes in Plex just like they do for Amazon or Netflix. Adding Plex to the universal search would be over the top. Tivo could once again be the center of our media universe.

On the Plex app issue, once I upgraded my plex server such that it can transcode full HD streams to what ever is needed in real time, all the troubles went away. I no longer worry much about mkv vs mp4, atom placement, audio codecs etc. With sufficient horsepower in the server, plex really does work pretty darn good on Tivo. Likely should not be this way, but processor and video hardware encoding is cheap these days.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. Feb 8, 2019 #7 of 42
    mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    I would guess that with such a small number of people who own TiVo and an even smaller number who own a TiVo and use Plex it wouldn't be worth their trouble.

foghorn2 likes this.
  8. Feb 8, 2019 #8 of 42
    Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    an even smaller subset of PLEX users willing to use TiVo's PLEX app over any other PLEX client.

I'm not saying TiVo's PLEX client is crappy. But it's dead last in my client list. Even the Win10 PLEX app and PLEX over a web browser beat it out.

foghorn2 likes this.
  9. Feb 8, 2019 #9 of 42
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I don't know about that. We are not talking about changes to the Plex interface on TiVo. My expectation is that Plex would simply need to expose a content list API that could be leveraged for other integration opportunities in addition to TiVo.

TiVo could use that content API for deep linking as the do with Netflix, Amazon and the rest.

10. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Exactly what I am saying, I bet that is exactly what the Plex admins feel as well. Dead last for improvements to the client. Not enough customers to warrant the time.

I am curious on what you chose to upgrade to as my paltry mac mini i5 cannot do 4k and now that my New TV plays 4K I would like to start playing 4K.

kpeters59 likes this.
  11. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston

Then you need a player other than a Tivo. I only play 1080p content generally. Will someday change but not until good, bright LCD 4k projectors are under $5k. I have a couple smaller screens capable of 4k but there is no benefit at 55" and below. By the time my main screen is 4k, there will be a new tivo, or I will be on a different platform.

In general, you do not, ever, transcode 4k. If your player client cannot direct stream the content, its not capable of 4k on Plex.

12. Qnapfan

Qnapfan Active Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I heartily agree with this sentiment ... I've been lurking recently on Plex related threads and discussions to ponder this very question ... case in point - the Tivo version of Plex (for me) is crippled by the lack of the otherwise, common option to auto advance to the next episode of a tv series ... which then begs the more basic question, is there an ongoing discussion of this particular lack, or any word from the Tivo developers on the possibility of its creation/incorporation?

13. Qnapfan

Qnapfan Active Member

Feb 13, 2019
    On the face of it, I'd agree with you on the 'subset' issue ... but consider 2 things in a larger context - these apps and strategic stance for the present Tivo lineup is increasingly pushing for the 'one stop shop' paradigm. This being the case, its logical that (once committed to integrated apps) ... the company would provide, at the very least a reliable alternative to stand alone apps/devices WITH a consistent basic set of usage options ... an option like auto advance. I mean really, what would be the point to make a notably inferior 'in house' integration option ... why bother with implementation at all if its so bad that few if any choose it as their primary or preferred?

14. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Plex is garbage, hate to see Tivo waste time with this when there are so many other things they can do.

15. jcthorne

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    This is just like folks that say Tivo is Garbage. You obviously have no or little understanding of what Plex offers as there is simply no other client / server integrated system out there that does what Plex has made work across so many devices on both client and server ends. And before you spout of the K word, its only a player, has zero server infrastructure. It also has a fast shrinking list of mainstream supporters where Plex is growing fast.

Saturn_V and Qnapfan like this.
  16. Saturn_V

Saturn_V Now with flavor!

Jun 1, 2007
    Oklahoma...
    He's holding out until PLEX can play native TiVo files amd ISOs (??) Until that happens, you're wasting text on a glaring troll.

17. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Plex developers do whats best for Plex to reach more clients, meaning more money. Complaints from dedicated users fall on deaf ears. Example: Movies have the ability to have extra features show up under the movie it belongs to via several suffixes like -deleted scenes. But in TV shows there is no such option. People have been asking for this since 2015 and nothing has been done about it.

So, although I love what Plex has done so far, and what Tivo has done so far, I would like each of them to get their act together before they collaborate on new features.

18. Qnapfan

Qnapfan Active Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I agree, what you suggest makes sense ... I would hasten to add though, that time is not the friend to the likes of Tivo and company - it would benefit all parties if the business elements pick up the pace of improvement (both self and collaborative) in order to meet the quickening pace of media omnipresence.

19. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If the goal (as already started down the path of) is to make TiVo a software-focused company - the upcoming integration with Android would seem to be a better use of resources with items like Plex as opposed to a shrinking traditional MSO stand-alone box model. (Assuming that the MSO-focused TiVo/Android boxes are agreeable to Plex and other apps that undercut the model that keeps them in business).

Qnapfan likes this.
  20. ke3ju

ke3ju Ed Ludwig

Jan 4, 2004
    Seminole, FL
    I love Plex, I would say 60% of my viewing on my TiVos is with Plex. It's a very important app for cord cutters.

krkaufman likes this.