Decrypting shows from removed HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by thenightfly42, Nov 18, 2020 at 10:56 AM.

1. thenightfly42

thenightfly42 Señor Senior, Jr.

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut

Advertisements

Is there any way to pull and convert recorded shows from my Roamio Pro (TE4) hard drive after I remove the drive?

My HD is showing signs of failure, and I have a new drive in the mail that should arrive tomorrow. I don't want to clog up my LAN with file transfers during work/school hours (yay pandemic!).

I would prefer to get the new drive in place as soon as possible, and transfer shows from the old drive at my leisure, probably with a drive enclosure attached directly to my Mac. I have kmttg and cTiVo installed on my Mac. I also have access to a PC if I kick my kid off of it, but I'd rather not do that.

So, can I point kmttg (or some other program) to an external drive instead of to a TiVo and still download/decrypt the files?

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    No. Even if you could extract the recordings from TiVo's proprietary file system they are encrypted, and only the motherboard that recorded them can decrypt them.

3. thenightfly42

thenightfly42 Señor Senior, Jr.

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    OK, thanks! I tried to search, but I couldn't find the right keywords.