Decisions, decisions ... What to do when the service expires on my S3s?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by gweempose, Mar 12, 2010.

1. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL

Advertisements

The 3-year service plans on my two original S3s will be expiring later this year. I'm torn between going with PLS for $299 or just the 1-year annual plan for $99. My gut tells me that it's probably smarter to go with PLS on both boxes, as you can generally recoup the added cost when you sell the boxes. The question is, how long will the S3s continue to be desirable? Any thoughts?

2. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Depends on who buys your boxes now or in the future. New users to TiVo will probably just go buy a new S4.

Older users who have S1's and S2's are more likely to buy a used or refurb S3/HD/HDXL then anyone else.

Personally.... I would go with the yearly. I always thought the Lifetime wasn't a wise choice. (IMHO) I can make more off my money in 3 years to make up any difference in financial savings that buying a lifetime or even a 3 year subscription would provide.

The real question is do you want to keep your S3's and for how long? What are you going to replace your S3's with? New S4 units? Or will you be moving to DirecTV with their DirecTiVo?

TGC

3. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    That's assuming they are desirable now. ;) Jk, I'm sure there are lots of people that want only OTA or have a service that doesn't induce a vacuum that would find value in an S3 TiVo. OTA people will still find value in them 5 years from now, unless broadcasters manage to lobby successfully for a broadcast flag. So, not likely.

I'm not a fan of lifetime, but if you have the money to invest up front go for it. Just make certain you protect your investment with a UPS and make certain your cable line is grounded well.

4. tburrel

tburrel New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Pretty much in the same boat- my S3 3-year is up in June. I have been playing with MCE on Win7, as well as Boxee and even Moxi.

No one seems to have it quite right yet IMHO- Tivo has poor multi-room viewing and music streaming, but Windoze has reliability problems. Boxee doesn't do TV recording, and Moxi is a pretty steep investment. And the Tivo has a very high Wife Acceptance Factor for ease-of-use.

For me it's a waiting game- can the shortcomings be addressed by the time I need to make a decision?

5. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006

Advertisements

Exactly.... The TiVo isn't a perfect solution. I tried the HTPC thing as well. My wife and kids hated it. To complicated, To "Fancy", and the system was always crashing. Sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. Sometimes even in the middle of watching a program. It also required too much of my "Free" time to maintain the HTPC. Maybe its good for some people but not everyone.

TiVo was designed to be a consumer level product for eases of use and almost plug n play use. Not so with a HTPC. Moxi is a nice bet, but way to expensive for the average "Joe". Most of us in the forum here though aren't the average "Joe". The average "Joe" doesn't even mess with forums.

While TiVo doesn't have the best solution for MRV/Streaming. There are other devices that work quite well for this. My LG BD390 blu-ray player does DLNA streaming. My XBox 360 with "Play-On" software works quite nicely as well.
    Put the 3 together and I have a happy family with ease of use about as simple as it can currently get.

Sure I have problems with copy protection flags. No Problem. I don't watch those shows until they are relased on Blu-ray/DVD at the end of the season and rip those! Cable companies aren't hurting themselvs as much as they are hurting the content producers.

TGC

6. fatlard

fatlard New Member

Jun 30, 2003

I still do not get how the Moxi is too expensive for an average Joe but Tivo is fine. I guess it we live pay a monthly subscription (Tivo) for things then it defrays the total initial cost?

I guess if you put PLS on your Tivo S3 then it is $$598? vs Moxi 3 room bundle for $999.

Wait till your Tivo plan is over, threaten to cancel and maybe they will give you that coveted $99 PLS plan.

7. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    A Moxi 3 room bundle for $999 and you only get two tuners for that price? Go with the two TiVo option (or even one for half the cost - with lifetime) and you can record and watch twice the TV and have better web options.

Yeah, the average Joe is going to blow a grand just to have two tuners. How is that a good deal?

8. fatlard

fatlard New Member

Jun 30, 2003

The Moxi has three tuners... and it covers three rooms with the Main Moxi and the two Moxi Mates.

Funny you should mention web options. Moxi allows real time scheduling of shows. So for instance if it is 11:45am.. and you are away from home. You can hop online and schedule a recording at 12:00pm... Something not possible on the Tivo.

But that is okay. The Tivo is the best thing in the world therefore it can do no wrong. and nice job Premiere launch.:thumbsdown:

One more thing... Remind me the original cost of the Tivo S3?

Right. $799

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

2 points-

Ever buy a new car? some people lease cars and others buy- different strokes for different folks. But more tellingly half the time the salesperson will try to sell you a car based on the monthly payment- even if you BUY it. They'll tell you thinks like "well if you get the bigger engine it's only 10 dollars a month" rather then telling you "that option adds 500 dollars to the price".

second thing is most people dont know why a moxi or a tivo is any better than their cable or sat company's DVR. So BOTH tivo's 299 and moxi's (insert the price) are a hard sell. So the tivo is less of a risk. After the 30 days you can bail on tivo at a cheaper total cost than you can with moxi.

Replay didn't survive with the price bundled (but they obvioulsy had LOTS of other things going on with lawyers). Tivo tried some bundling also to get rid of the monthly cost and it didn't work out for them. Obviously moxi might be fine with their model- but the past indicators are it's a tough sell for such a large up front cost even if it's free of any monthly cost.

Will be interesting to see if moxi tries any alternative pricing models with monthly fees or something in the future- but seems like a big undertaking to add that in after the fact. So I guess they think its just not necessary now or in the future.

10. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    I don't know what the statistics are, but I pay month to month. Cost's me less in the long run because I can make more on keeping my own money than I can save by paying 3 years up front. But subscription prices aside. Cost of hardware to hardware. The consumer price point is $300 for a basic unit ant $500 for higher end version.

The Price point that caused Blu-ray machines to almost triple in sales was the $200 price point. When decent blu-ray players were available at the $200 price point. Sales tripled.

$999 is way above the Average Joe price point for DVR's. To a certain extent even $300 is on the upper end of the price point level for DVR's. That is one of the (many) reasons why Cable Company DVR's are still the DVR of choice in the MAJORITY of Cable Company subscribers homes. If you could have a brand new S3 TiVo sold for $99. IMHO the majority of DVR users would switch from their cable company provided DVR to a TiVo. But alas we won't ever see a brand new S3 TiVo sold at retail (Best Buy) for $99. Maybe at most $199

I know I have a neighbor that thinks spending $300 for a DVR no matter what it does is still way to much to spend for a DVR. Even if their was NO subscription pricing. He would rather pay $15 a month for his Cable Company provided DVR. That way he doesn't have to worry about warranties or anything. If it breaks, he knows they will replace it. No additional charge.

TGC

11. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Moxi/TiVo aside.. Like I said in a previous post. One of the biggest reasons why the Majority of cable company users (Including Verizon Fios). Are still using their DVR's instead of an alternative. Like Moxi or TiVo. Is one the price point & not so much the subscription fees. None of the units are sold at $200 or less. Ideally $100. Rerfurbs or Used doesn't count. We are talking new in the box pricing.

Second big reason... DVR's provided by the cable company basically have an unlimited warranty. IF the unit ever dies for almost any reason. (Other than obvious user abuse) The cable company replaces it free of charge. In most cases no questions asked type deal. If your TiVo or Moxi die. Outside of warranty well your SOL, Even if it dies inside of warranty you still go without DVR service for alot longer than you would if your Cable Co DVR is out. At least with TWC here in Dallas, if your DVR dies, just take it down to the local office and exchange it that same day. Presto your back in business. Not so with a TiVo or Moxi.

That reason right there is the MAIN reason I don't buy a cable modem either. Also since the discount to provide my own cable modem is only $1 per month. TWC has replaced my cable modem about 9 times in the last 5 years. Not something I would have been able to do with owning my own cable modem.

Just saying that their is ALONG way to go before TiVo, Moxi or any other brand of DVR will even begin to become the DVR of choice above a cable company DVR and become the major market share holder in the DVR market place.

TGC

12. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    wrong again as usual - You can schedule shows for a TiVo and as close as 15 minutes with a broadband connection. TiVo also has a mobile site for any phone browser to use easily as well. No idea if Moxi has a mobile site.

and for me - one moxi bundle 3 digital tuners and I need to upgraded from extneded basic service to make use of those 3 tuners.
    2 TiVos for about the same price to me - plug in cable, add a couple 30$ OTA antennas and I have 4 tuners for cable and OTA HD without even calling the cable company.

If I had digital cable then 4 tuners with only getting 1 extra cable card and I also have 4 OTA tuners if I choose.

If I needed to cover 3 rooms then I spend some more with TiVo but I get Double the tuners at 6 and again those tuners can do analog, digital and OTA with integrated guide data. With a family of 6 the extra tuners are a very important factor.

the Moxi bundle all by itself is not the answer for everyone.

13. fatlard

fatlard New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/163

How long does it take before my DVR receives a new recording request?

If your DVR connects to the TiVo service using a broadband connection, the DVR will check for recording requests every hour. This means you can request a program an hour or more before it airs.
    If your DVR connects to the TiVo service over a phone line, it may wait up to 36 hours between connections. You should only request programs that will not air for at least 36 hours.

Moxi is instant online scheduling.
    Moxi can also schedule series recordings online.
    You can cancel schedule recordings as well as series recording.
    You can delete shows from the online webpage.
    You can get a list of all shows currented recorded on your dvr
    even if you are behind a router.

but for you... Tivo is the best.. it can do no wrong. :confused:

14. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    The problem is you don't have the faintest idea of what you are talking about and are insulting folks out of ignorance. As I said in the other thread, which you ignored completely, people here admit Moxi is reasonable for some folks, but you are the one making blanket statements that Moxi is the best for everybody, and then ignoring all the counter-examples.

By the way, TiVos check for updates every 15 seconds.

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
  16. pilotbob

pilotbob New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Florida
    Have you tried like MythTV or something that runs on Linux. It would be a lot more stable.

Personally, I am considering getting a boxee box and then just d/l'ing the shows off the net.

(but, life time can be worth it... do you really not think you will use your TiVo for 4 years. Isn't that about the break even point for the customer?)

BOb

17. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    For the time being, I won't be replacing them with anything. I recently pre-ordered a Premiere XL, but I still plan on using my four Series 3s for at least another year. At that point, I guess I'll have to see how far the S4 platform has come and decide if it makes sense to upgrade some/all of my older boxes.

I generally follow this same philosophy. Of course, I then proceed to invest the money in companies that tend to go out of business. :D

18. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You might as well go with lifetime service if you plan on always having a DVR, becuse the cost of ownership is usually lower.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    S3 already has digital, HD and Netflix and SDV

the S4 can only really supplant that if we find that SDV works better on S4 or some new content comes along like Hulu direct to S4. Even then it only becomes better to those wanting the content or having trouble with SDV.

20. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    The trick is to find companies like walmart and microsoft when they were just start up companies like I did. :)

TGC

Although I invested in Microsoft early on... I wasn't the one who did Walmart.... My dad did... but boy it made a nice inheritance! LOL