Decision - Comcast box/DVR vs Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ps56k, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ps56k

ps56k New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Chicago...
    I have a Tivo THD that just went dead...
    So I dragged the standard Comcast box from upstairs down to the family room until I decide what to do... get a new Premiere or ???

I've always loved the Tivo interface, screen info and channel filtering compared to Comcast. But, Comcast has the OnDemand... Like tonight, after moving the Comcast box, we were able to "catchup" on the shows that are sitting recorded on our dead THD.

SO - the coin toss
    Tivo - has the better interface, more info, channel filtering.
    Comcast - has bad interface, less info, no channel filtering, BUT has OnDemand.

Is having OnDemand worth putting up with the rest of the crappy Comcast screens ?

2. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
  3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    r u not willing to repair the tivo? itismost likely the hdd or power supply..

4. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    No. And it's just the screens that are crappy. After driving a TiVo you will be looking for weapons in minutes.

Now that I have UVerse I can see Video On Demand can ease the need for mooor disk, but I watch the TiVo. The TiVo can read my mind. The UVerse STB is much better than the Comcrap one and it still lags and drive me nuts.

Fix your TiVo or get a new one.

BTW, you can order VOD from Comcast on the phone or web and see it on your TiVo.

5. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I missed OnDemand for a hot second. I have the "free" Comcast box and can get it albeit SD but rarely use it. Everything I need can be recorded or I can get it on my iPad, laptop, etc.

The only thing I miss is Fearnet.com.

Get your TiVo fixed unless you have money to throw into monthly rental fees. If that is the case, I'll fix your TiVo and you can pay me monthly. :D

6. StringFellow

StringFellow New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Been there done that! Comcast DVRs stink. The OnDemand, at least in our area, isn't as great as it sounds. If you have a DVR, there is really no reason to need OnDemand.

Trust me, you might try and connivence yourself that the Comcast DVR really isn't that bad. After a couple days you will be looking for ways to either fix your old Tivo or get a new one. I just went through this myself.

I also found out that having Tivo (including Tivo fees) ends up being cheaper than renting a Comcast DVR.

7. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    That only works for PPV, not OnDemand.