Debut episode of Are You There, Chelsea?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by IndyJones1023, Jan 11, 2012.

1. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Wow, couldn't finish. It was atrocious. I mean, I already hate Chelsea Handler but I was curious about the premise. But it seems like a sitcom "filmed before a live studio audience" where they don't bother with the live studio audience and just dub in the laugh track because they know no one will laugh. Painfully unfunny. Not even funny because it's so unfunny. Just totally brick-faced unfunny.

2. mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH
    My thoughts exactly. Plus Laura Prepon as Chelsea? Really?

3. CharlieW

CharlieW Go to the mall.

May 30, 2001
    Jersey Shore
    I have to agree, it was pretty awful.

(Full disclosure, I can't stand Chelsea Handler either.)

When Lenny Clarke popped up as the Dad, I just wanted to scream, "NO! Lenny! Run! Just run away NOW!!"

Laura Prepon was OK as part of the ensemble cast on 'That 70's Show', but 'Chelsea' makes me look back and realize she was probably the weakest link on that show.

4. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Wow did Lenny Clarke lose a lot of weight. Like a whole other person's worth.

5. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    This is enough to make me never want to even try the show out. Shows that do this drive me nuts... I can't think of anything lazier or stupider than a guy sitting in an editing room deciding when things are funny and probably using laughs recorded during other successful sitcoms that people actually laughed at. If your show's not funny enough or you can't spare the expense of filming it in front of an audience, then bite the bullet and make it a single camera show.

6. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    I liked it. I know it's not long for this world, but I'll be watching until the end.

7. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I guess you didn't watch the last season of Rescue Me? I think he lost most of the weight from the 2nd to last, to the last season (2011).

8. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I think this is my first Chelsea Handler experience. I hear about her all the time, but I don't remember ever seeing her before.

I didn't hate the show, but I sure didn't love it either. I'll give it a couple more episodes. Maybe the show will be cancelled by then anyway.

9. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    really really bad - and i like chelsea handler.

man was she channeling louise lasser or what?

10. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Was pretty bad, gotta say as bad as Laura and Chelsea were, that has got to be the worst supporting cast I've ever seen on a sitcom.

11. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I liked it. I'll take this any time over a "traditional sitcom" (you know, where they pause and wait for laughter after the punch line)

12. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    +1. I made it ten minutes in and then had to bail.

13. CharlieW

CharlieW Go to the mall.

May 30, 2001
    Jersey Shore
    Agreed, with the exception of Lenny Clarke, the supporting cast is as bad as the supporting cast on 2 Broke Girls (with the exception of Garrett Morris).

14. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    I am hoping for fail. Can't stand her...

15. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I like Chelsea handler but this was terrible. Every joke was rauchy, dirty, crass. I liked seeing Coach Beaste from Glee but then her character was just a sad stereotype.

16. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Nope - I didn't watch that show. I did however watch Dennis Leary's detective show prior to Rescue Me (I forget its name), in which Lenny Clarke was still huge.

17. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I don't get this. If you don't like it, don't watch. Why would you hope for it to fail?

18. CharlieW

CharlieW Go to the mall.

May 30, 2001
    Jersey Shore
    'The Job' (pretty much Rescue Me, except with cops instead of firemen and without the cursing).

19. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I assume that the last scene (in the bar) was in front of an audience while the first scene (in the holding cell) was not? When Dot Marie-Jones first appeared, there was pretty much no audience reaction, but in her second appearance, there was a significant response (presumably because everyone recognized her from Glee).

Also, why go with the "short" title, if Chelsea is going to "pray to Vodka" in the episode? (Somebody involved with the show gave some excuse, but I have a feeling the real reason is something like, they don't want it caught in any DVR searches for alcohol.)

20. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Was Chelsea actually on the show? I don't remember seeing her.