Deauthorizing an Android Youtube app from casting?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by philco782, Nov 24, 2014.

1. philco782

philco782 Active Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Florida

Advertisements

Somehow, my neighbor who has an Android phone and shares the same wifi network as I do, can load up his Youtube app and choose my Tivo to cast to. He apparently didn't need to do any kind of authorization, like I had to do with my iOS phone's Youtube app.

Whats the deal with that? Does it really need authorization, and maybe he came over and my roommate let him in to authorize it while I was away at work? Does the Android app not need authorization/pairing? How can I shut it down?

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    The protocols used for Youtube casting make it such that anyone on the same local network can, by default, cast to any other device on the same network. I'm not aware of any way to deauthorize a device, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

What are the specifics of the shared Wi-Fi? Is it provided by the building and is therefore shared amongst many residents, or is this a wireless router in your apartment that you let the neighbor connect to? Could a separate Wi-Fi- network be established for your apartment?

3. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    If this is a community wireless network every system in your home is at security risk. I would personally get myself a wireless bridge device and connect to the wan side my own wireless router pacing a hardware firewall between my network and the community.

If this is a shared SSID from your home set up a guest zone transfer the credentials they are using and create yourself a new SSID and credentials. Of that, some routers ASUS that I know of has a guest zone switch that allows the guest zone access to the home zone, turn it off!