"Dear Food Network"...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dylking, Sep 13, 2011.

1. dylking

dylking I've never farded

Jul 20, 2003
    St Paul, MN
    "Knock it off! Your commercial breaks at the 15-20 minute marks run over by 15-30 seconds causing your viewers to miss parts of the show they're watching...which if I'm trying to learn techniques, I miss part of the (*^&#*&$^*#&($ technique."

...end rant. Every show on Food Network and Cooking Channel that I watch have this done to them, and it's very freeking annoying. Not the contents/reality shows, but the cooking shows :mad:

And if it's not Food Network, it's Directv, and I'll change the header. But still...

2. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    It's most likely DirecTV running their promos, commercials over Food Network programming. Local cable operators do it all the time. You can usually tell by what is being advertised.

3. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I'd say it's DirecTV since our Food Network shows are fine on cable.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    I've never noticed this issue and I have Direct and we watch the channel a lot.

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup, if the commercials are overrunning the program, it's going to be the cable or satellite provider inserted commercials at fault, and not the network.

6. dylking

dylking I've never farded

Jul 20, 2003
    St Paul, MN
    Seems to be the same commercial most of the time - swiffer or other items from an sc johnson company.

I know complaining to DTV will accomplish about zero, just needed to rant somewhere :)

7. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Same thing always happened on Sleuth back when I had DirecTV.

8. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    some channels/shows seem to be worse about it than others

9. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    I will say that this is a non-issue with our local cable provider (although you're helping me understand what to expect when we move to DTV next month!). We watch about a half-dozen Food Network shows ("Chopped," "Cupcake Wars," Duff Goldman's new show, "FN Star") and don't see any problems here.

Bob

10. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I wouldn't be so quick to blame either the cable provider or Dtv because sometimes it is the networks. NBC comes to mind where they purposefully run their sitcoms (like office) over into the next time slot.

11. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I have issues like this with the few Food Network shows I TiVo. When I go to play one, I get the last 30-60 seconds of the previous show at the very start of the recording. this means I tend to lose the last 30 - 60 seconds of the show I am recording. Of course, the last 30 - 60 seconds doesn't have much stuff in it. For a "how to" show, it's the "Yumm-o" moment where the host easts the food. For a "reality" show, it's usually thre previews for next week.

12. RMBittner

RMBittner Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Charlotte,...
    Hmm. . . I seem to only miss a remark or two that runs over the credits. But, of course, if this is a problem for you, you can always pad those shows by a minute, which shouldn't cause too many problems with clipping. (It seems every show spends the first minute telling you what you're going to see anyway.)

Bob

13. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Yeah.. I don't usually pad.. Wont do it here because it's not an issue. Any remark at the end of the show really isn't a big deal.

14. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    but then the pad messes you up if you're trying to record something afterward.