Deals on H20?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Jakub37, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Jakub37

Jakub37 New Member

Oct 28, 2003

Advertisements

Has anyone been able to do better than $299 on the H20?

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    You mean the HR20?

If so, there is an entire forum dedicated to discussion on what kind of deals people have gotten..

And yes, people have done a lot better then $299

www.dbstalk.com

3. ChristianZane

ChristianZane New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    Stay away from the HR-20, if you've been a long time Tivo customer you will absolutely hate it.

4. Jakub37

Jakub37 New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    I have the HR10-250 now and am really happy with it since I get all my HD locals OTA. I just bought a new HD TV and have a room that still has an non-HD TiVo. Was thinking about upgrading that to the HR20. I called retention but they best they would do is $199. I will call back when I feel like being more persistent; although I am not sure I want a huge dish on my house.

5. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Advertisements

I was a DirecTiVo customer from the there first one released... to the very last one released.. I had one of ever series, and the only one I didn't own was the RCA model. And I don't absolutely "hate it"... took a while to get used to the new system (the R15 and the GUI)....

Evaluate the GUI for yourself, and the feature set.

Some people are like Christian, and simply don't like the new GUI, Functionality, ect of the HR20

Others are finding it to be exactly what they wanted, and have already started to replace their DTivos...

Each person is different....

6. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    I'm quite happy with HR20 and I've been a TiVo user for over 6 years. There are things it can do that I wish the HR10 could do and vice versa. All I ask is that when there is no more MPEG-2 HD stream that D* has the HR20 capable of dual buffers for my Sunday Ticket viewing pleasure. If that's accomplished, I'll be fine.

7. ChristianZane

ChristianZane New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    Hey Earl I noticed you on the DBS Talk forum... the HR-20 has many software flaws and stability issues that the Tivo does not, DirecTV told me directly that it wasn't really ready to ship but they did it anyways.... slow menus, crashes when recording local HD, constant resets, missed recordings, unintuitive interface, poor "Season Pass" design... these are all issues I were told exist and will be addressed in the coming months... I personally can't wait that long and will probably put this unit on the shelf for 4 months until they work out all these problems that they have admitted need to be addressed.

8. merlin803

merlin803 New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    While I miss some things that the DTivo has, I have had my HR20 for almost a week and have not ran into any of these problems.

By the way, I currently use both my HR20 and the DTivo (the newest Dtivo upgrade that caused the audio drop outs is what prompted me to get the HR20).

If I have another week or two with no problems with the HR20 (along with OTA supposedly being enabled in that time period...), then I will be selling the DTivo and using the HR20 exclusively.

9. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    You noticed me over there? ;)

The Tivo Code base is also 6+ years old... I would hope at this point, it didn't have as many issues as the HR20, seeing that it's code base has only been in public release for 4 months... (It is a different code base then the R15).

The "menus" are mixed bag... some are faster, some are the same, some are slower then the DTiVo counter part...

I just got done watching 3 recorded HD programs from two different networks... so not only did NOT miss them, it didn't crash while doing it. And it didn't require a reset... thus the unit "can" function properly.

Unintunitive interface... Sorry.. then Me, My Wife, and my 5yr son must be above the "intunitive" phase of things, as now that I have gotten used to the menu struture. well... functional... Just took a while to get over 5+ years of repetitive motions and learned methods of how to do things.

So yes... the HR20 is not perfect... nor will it ever be.
    The HR20 does have issues, and all we can hope is that they are fixed
    The HR20 is not TiVo, nor will it ever be
    The HR20 is what it is, and it will be what DirecTV makes it be

And lastly... CSRs are CSRs.... Just like every other job out there... there are good ones... and then there are not so good ones..

10. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I have had the HR20 now for over 1 month after owning Directivos for 4 years. Honestly the only thing I miss about the HR10 is the dual live buffers. I prefer several things about the HR20 over the HR10 like the fact that it is soooooooo much faster. Really it is just different not worse.

11. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I thought we weren't supposed to be talking about the HR20-crapbox here...

12. german72

german72 Retired magician

May 16, 2005
    Burlington, Ky
    We have 3 of the "crapbox" units and all are working well.

It seems that there are a number of units that are having problems and many that are not.

It is a new product... just hang in there.

Mike :)

13. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    On the 5th "outstanding TIVO" box replacement in just over a year of having them, this one is starting to sound exactly like the previous 4 before they went to the great junk pile down below. Would jump at them sending me one of the HR-20's and the new dish for no charge. BTW in reading the forum it appears the tivo model is having a lot of software related issues also......

Functionality and reliability are like beauty - it is in the eye of the beholder.