Deal on the HD Plus DVR?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wrz0170, Oct 29, 2007.

1. wrz0170

wrz0170 New Member

Nov 28, 2005

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone got a good deal on the DTV HD Plus DVR? Currently they want $299 for the upgrade

I got my HR10-250 last year, so I am only one year into the commitment.....

Anybody in similiar boat who got them to come down on the $299??

Thanks.....

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I just called and mentioned I was an "A" customer. They gave me $100 credit on the account. I probably could have gone through the CSR ladder.

You may get more info from the members on the DSBTalk forum.

3. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    I called last week and no deals, $299 plus the $19.95 shipping.
    (which doesn't make any sense since they aren't shipping it, the installer is bringing it)

Sent an email last Friday voicing my displeasure in paying $800+ for the HR10 and finding out it can't get all the new HD channels, got a canned response with a special phone number and PIN.

Called today, entered the PIN, and got the new HD DVR for $150 plus the $19.95 s&h, they had an install available tomorrow, but I'm at work so scheduled for Thursday.

Found out I've only been a customer for 2 1/2 years, (sure felt like a lot longer,
    never bought pay per view, never had any of the sports packages, so I think I got a pretty good deal.

Was very surprised about the quick install, I was planning on a couple weeks out.

phox

4. rickmeoff

rickmeoff New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    im looking to grab another one, and they were gonna give me enough credits to where my total cost would be 49.99. i got my first one for 19.99, and then waited 6 months (they said only one deal per 6 months time) and this was my first call since then.

i think with persistance ill get em down to 19.99 again (after getting it back in account credits).

5. jpenneck

jpenneck Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Denver, CO

Advertisements

Wow! I must have won the DirecTV lottery today or something. After enquiring about the upgrade cost to switch to new equipment I was amazed to find out it was going to be totally free!!!

I currently have:

2 x HR10-250s
    1 x Sony HD-200
    1 x 4x8 multi-switch
    1 x 3 LNB dish

Free upgrade to:
    2 x HR20 or HR21 (hopefully the HR20 to continue getting all my HD locals)
    1 x H20
    1 x 6x8 multi-switch
    1 x 5 LNB dish
    6 months free HD package
    12 months x $10 off premier channel package

Must have been my lucky day today! All that equipment upgraded for free + programming discounts!

6. aphex187

aphex187 New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Reno, NV
    For those of you in good standing (4 or 5 hearts) and not currently in a contract or about to end a contract I would suggest calling customer retention.

I just got the HR20 + new dish today for no cost (even the $19.99 was credited) plus free showtime for 6mo, hbo for 6mo.

My contract on the HR10 was going to end *tomorrow* lol so I said unless its free I might as well go to Charter Cable (*shudder*) or Dish (ugh).

The most important thing is keeping my HR10-250 - I'm glad I got that thing while you could still 'own' recevievers.

We just picked up a new 50" Panasonic Plasma too so I'm looking forward to seeing the new HD content!

7. toneman

toneman This space for rent

Oct 17, 2002
    Northern...
    How is that drastically different from if UPS or FedEx brings the box/dish to your home? After all, it's not as if the installer snapped his fingers and poof--the box magically showed up in his hands right out of thin air... ;)

8. milominderbinder

milominderbinder New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Wow!

You are on step 5 of the HD DVR (HR20) Ordering Tips. Keep going!

- Craig

9. allenn

allenn New Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Roswell...
    Here's the links that spell out my deal with D*:

First Deal with D* using PIN; Second D* Offer via telephone customer service;
    What was installed; Many phone calls After the install.

Well, I called D* today. The CS has requested an HR20 to be shipped two day. The D* Rep. was upfront and said that I may receive another HR21, but he requested an HR20. I have little faith that an HR20 will we delivered, because this was promised originally and I got an HR21.

I am amazed at how many people get better deals than me. I have been a customer since 1994.

10. allenn

allenn New Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Roswell...
    So D* is crediting my account for $299.00 (the cost of an HR20 from any retailer in the Atlanta area) plus the $19.95 for shipping and handling. I must send back the HR21's. Boy has this whole thing been a real trick or treat from D*. Sadly, I will still be out $150 which is the original deal amount.

11. rickmeoff

rickmeoff New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    glad to hear you finally got that cleared up.

why izzit that dtv makes many of us jump through freakin hoops to get anything?!? contingent on the csr you get, sometimes you get something offered for nearly free, while other times they want full retail. thats ridiculous.

they need to be consistant across the board. having to work them trying to get the same deal as your neighbor is a bunch of crap.

12. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    They ARE consistent. The problem is that some people on this board have managed to negotiate great deals and everyone wants them! The deal is an upgrade for $299. Anything less than that is the result of skillful negotiation. Not one person called D* and was offered anything other than the regular deal without haggling for it.

A few months ago, the situation was different. The HR20 offered very little that the HR10 couldn't. Nobody wanted them and you could virtually pick your price. However now, some more of the teething bugs have been worked out (it's still nowhere near perfect, but what is?) and there are many new HD channels that you can't get with the HR10. Consequently, everyone is wanting the deals that were around when they didn't want to take them and D* were only too happy to get people to take them at little or no cost. This is reflected in the increase in "How much is my HR10 worth?" posts that are appearing!

So to all those whining that they can't get a deal and have to jump through hoops, I say Too Bad! You can't have your cake and eat it and you have no right to complain when D* won't bend over backwards to suit you.

This is not intended as a personal attack on rickmeoff, just a general observation. And for the record, yes, I prefer my HR10, but I also recognize the need to move forward, and I'm living with my HR20s and getting along with them, even if I DO curse them regularly!

13. fredflint

fredflint New Member

Jan 23, 2002

14. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    I'm betting that "about 3 weeks ago" was prior to the launch of the new HD channels and you were one of the last to get this offer. You also got a "bad" CSR who wasn't taught how to sell properly or was trying to improve his sales figures!

15. rickmeoff

rickmeoff New Member

Aug 25, 2006

um, then there goes your "they ARE consistent" theory, huh lol?

sorry, but i completely disagree with you on the fact that its only due to "skillfull negotiation" that people can get deals. people are offered deals without asking all the time (based on account prior history).

dtv csrs are anything but consistent imo

people have every right to complain when dtv wont "bend over backwards." especially if they "bent over backwards" for your next door neighbor, and then refuse to "bend over backwards" for you (account similarity being a necessity).

its real easy to tell others to stop whining when youve already gotten what you wanted. others are entitled to the same deals those before them have received, especially if theyre current hr10 owners and suddenly find themselves unable to get the new hd channels while facing the eventual loss of their own due to mpeg4.

16. robnalex

robnalex Member

Sep 7, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Two weeks ago I was able to get my 2 HR10s "upgraded" to 2 HR20s (keeping the HR10s with one still active) for free (one unit free, the other's cost offset by program credits). Keep in mind that my last 2-year commitment had expired and I've been a good (auto pay) customer for over 5 years. I still think that a similar deal can be gotten today for customers with similar circumstances, but not without some persistence and negotiating.

Having said that, I still think the system is far too arbitrary. It's unfair that someone who is unaware that these deals can be had will end up paying for what others have gotten for free. It's unfair that someone who may not have good communication/negotiating skills should have to pay more. I think it's ridiculous that different deals are offered by the front line CSRs than through Retention- it's unfair to the people who don't know that that option exists. It's a game that I don't think we should have to play- especially for leased equipment.

17. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    One or two instances do not prove inconsistency!

Of course you have the right to disagree with me, but that doesn't necessarily make me wrong and you right! D* CSRs are, without a doubt, poorly trained when it comes to dealing with "savvy" customers, but that doesn't mean they should offer the "best deal" to everyone who calls! Ever bought a car?

Now it's MY turn to disagree. When a product is a difficult sell, there are discounts available, but when it becomes a high-ticket, high-demand item, then the discounts cease. Sure, I got my deals, but I got them at the right time. I still paid more than some, but less than others. I'm not complaining that I could have got things even cheaper because it's my fault I didn't get them at the absolute best time!

18. grein002

grein002 New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    Well, I got the following deal on 10/28/07:

1 HR20-100 (replaces HR10-250, I got to keep it)
    5lnb dish
    zinwell 68 switch

for 19.95 s/h

What I did/said/asked:

1. Called D*, said "cancel service" at prompt
    2. When rep came on the line, I said "I bought an HR10-250 in 2/06. At that time, I was told I would be eligible for a free, or nearly free, upgrade to the new HD-DVR when it became available. I am interested in exploring my upgrade options now".

What he said:

"Yes sir. The HR20 HDDVR is normally $299 plus 19.95 s/h, but I will waive the $299, so you will only pay $19.95 s/h. This will include a 5LNB dish and installation. You can keep your HR10-250".

Didn't have to haggle or negotiate.

I was billed $199 plus 19.95 s/h and then credited $199 for the upgrade.

19. spepi

spepi New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    last night, I called DTV, and complained to them that this was a huge screw up on thier part that the version 6.3e messed up hundreds of DTV Tivo boxes, that thier testing should have been more thorough before releasing this version. I asked for a free upgrade to an HD DVR...well, they couldnt upgrade me for free, and I didnt really expect them to, but they did give me th eunit for 199.99, in 2 payments, Free install with upgraded 5LNB dish.....plus, they are waiving the HD DVR service monthly fee of 9.99 for 1 year....so thats about 119.88 savings there, so I am really paying 80.11 for my HD DVR....I really couldnt pass this up. I had to do another 2 year contract, but that didnt really matter to me...I like the programming they offer, and my wife likes the NFL ticket.

Im not sure what model I am getting, but as long as it is stable, and has 2 antennas for me to record on, Im fine with that

20. rickmeoff

rickmeoff New Member

Aug 25, 2006

exactly how many instances will it take before something that you believe is consistent makes you realize that it is actually inconsistent?

dtv has been consistently inconsistent, ill give you that. i cannot see how you can call them anything BUT.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Big
    When I got home this evening there was a message on my answering machine from DTV saying that they're offering me a free upgrade to my HD service. So I called and they're installing a free HR20 and 5LNB dish this Saturday. I kept asking if there was any cost to me and the rep said it only required a 2-year commitment.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5656214#post5656214