Deadwood run starting on HBOZ (HD!)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeAndrews, Aug 27, 2011.

1. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I happened to channel surf past the first episode of Deadwood starting a new run on HBOZ HD.

Gawd did it look great in HD! What incredible cinematography. I missed that all when I first saw it in SD...like when they first show the view looking down on Deadwood from up on the hills in the wagon train with Wild Bill and Jane.

I set a SP. The run is up to the second episode. I wish they would rerun the first ep because I didn't get chance to see it again in its entirety.

I'm also catching plot points that seemed to fly by on the first viewing. What great writing and what a fast pace setting up the characters right away. The acting of the whole ensemble is simply superb.

Like: from the first scene (they repeat) Seth Bullock tells the doomed prisoner that he's going to Deadwood to start a hardware business. I missed why Swearington doesn't trust Bullock enough to sell him the lot.

And I even own Deadwood in regular SD DVD.

This is definitely one of the greatest series ever. I think with Deadwood and The Wire I owe HBO to be sub for life. :up::up::up:

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    The only HBO channel I get in HD is regular HBO. :mad:

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    +1

:mad: +million

4. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    The entire series is available on HBOGO, which is free with an HBO sub. I recently watched Ep 1 and the entire series of Game Of Thrones using this method - on D* - and it works really well. I would recommend allowing time for the download rather than actually trying to watch "On Demand" though.

5. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I disagree that HBOGO works really well. It won't output to my television, so it's a total failure.

6. tonestert

tonestert Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Charlottesvi...
    +1

I want to watch it on my TV not on a computer.

7. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    (shrug) My TV and my PC have multiple compatible I/O connections...

8. heySkippy

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    And I have a cable designed to hook my iPad to my television. HBO has disabled this functionality for their own reasons.

9. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Also it's not true that if you have HBO, you get HBOGO. Your cable company has to support it as well.

10. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I gave up after two season when it originally ran. The dialogue was too friggin' annoying and half the time I had to rewind to understand what they were saying.

11. JoeTiVo

JoeTiVo New DirecTivo, when?

Jun 25, 2001
    Pewaukee, WI
    +2

12. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    A mere trifle. Just connect your computer to your television. F* em!

13. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Closed captioning. Although I'd have to look but I bet you miss a whole lot of c*k-s*kers in the text.

14. heySkippy

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    No desire to have a computer in the same room as the television.

15. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Not if you're on Time Warner Cable, which still don't support. That just boggles my mind, when you consider the Time Warner corporate structure.

16. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    It was recently mentioned during an earnings call that HBO GO is coming to video game consoles. I'd assume that means Xbox 360 and/or PS3. That will be very nice.

I think it is lame that they disabled video output on the iOS app.

17. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    I think you just found your reason...

18. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I have never seen Deadwood and I've watched the first two episodes on HBOGo now. I'm most bummed about not being able to discuss things with everyone! I had to dig into the first TCF Archives to find the discussion thread about the first episode. I'm looking forward to watching - and I just got a new HD TV for my bedroom and will be running my Mac to it so I can watch on the big TV!

Of course, I can't help but see Raylan Givens in every scene.

19. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Start a re-watching discussion and I'll join in. I love this show and would love to discuss it again.

It's the opposite for me. I see Seth Bullock every time Olyphant shows up in a movie or TV show. :p

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I had this problem from time to time, and using the subtitles solved it. The show was just too good that I was able to get past this pretty quickly. When did this originally run? I'm trying to remember if I had HD yet! I got my first plasma toward the end of 2006.