Dead Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by nitstalker, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Jun 1, 2011 #1 of 17
    nitstalker

nitstalker New Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Ive had my Tivo Premiere for a little over a year. I was getting the 14.8 freezing up issues this past week, today my Tivo gives me nothing but a black screen. When I reboot the Tivo, I get the "welcome starting up" followed by the new just a few minutes more screen. (It only takes about a minute for the 2nd screen to come up). - The green light is on and the yellow light flickers for a few seconds

The few minutes screen is on for about 10 seconds, flickers, then comes back for about 7 seconds then goes to black. From there nothing, nada. If I listen to the box, I can hear hard drive activity but there is no response from anything else.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Jun 1, 2011 #2 of 17
    exegesis48

exegesis48 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Put TiVo Premiere hard drive into a USB enclosure and boot a copy of MFSlive. Connect another hard drive via any means and use MFSlive to port your TiVo drive over to a new one.

3. Jun 1, 2011 #3 of 17
    Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Before you take things apart, look through this series of kickstart diagnostics/repairs.

4. Jun 1, 2011 #4 of 17
    nitstalker

nitstalker New Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Thanks for the info exegesis and stuxnet... Unfortunately I can't get the thing to get to Tivo central to try the kickstarts....

I wanted to follow up tho, I left it plugged in overnight to see if maybe it would ever boot... Today I check it out and NOW it is in an endless reboot cycle... It starts up, goes to the Welcome screen for a minute or two, then goes to the just a minute for about 10 minutes, then shuts down and starts all over...

Frustrating!!!!

5. Jun 2, 2011 #5 of 17
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The "kickstart" diagnostics are accessed just after the the Tivo is powered on but before it boots fully. This is done by pointing the remote at the Tivo and entering a special sequence of keystrokes on the remote. If the link for kickstart instrucktions are not already posted in this thread, do a search here for "kickstart instructions", or the like.

Good luck.

6. Jun 2, 2011 #6 of 17
    nitstalker

nitstalker New Member

Jun 1, 2011
    ok, I see how to do the kickstart while booting up... As soon as I see the yellow start to flicker, I hit pause then the kickstart code, this is what happens:

Power up
    Green light on, Welcome screen
    Yellow flickers - quickly hit pause
    green light goes out, yellow on solid
    quickly enter kickstart code
    green and yellow lights quickly alternate back and forth for a couple seconds
    machine continues on booting up/reboot loop

I tried using all of the kickstart codes but get the same result each time

7. Jun 2, 2011 #7 of 17
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Have you tried leaving it unplugged for 30 minutes? It's doubtful it will help but sometimes it will.

8. Jun 2, 2011 #8 of 17
    nitstalker

nitstalker New Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Yeah, last night I left it uplugged all night till I messed with it today

9. Jun 2, 2011 #9 of 17
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You are just not getting the timing right. Lot's of people have trouble initiating kickstart but eventually you'll get it. The timing on when to start entering the keystrokes is crucial. Keep trying.

10. nitstalker

nitstalker New Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Well I played with this thing all night... I think I give up.... after a million tries I did get it into the disk test once. It started running the tests on the drive and then crashed...

I tried the MFS tools... couldnt get that to work

Tried the new tools from the member on here (Its late cant remember the name of it) - it said could not find a tivo drive - checked fdisk -l and it shows the tivo drive but says there is no partition information...

tried winmfs... it allows me to select the tivo drive (and says its a series 2 or 3) but from there cant do anything - just says no tivo drive...

So... I assume the problem is the drive! Tivo says they will swap the unit out... (not in warranty) anybody know how much that costs?

Or should I just order an already setup drive from weaknees or dvrupgrade?

Thanks again for all of your help!!!!!

11. nitstalker

nitstalker New Member

Jun 1, 2011
    ok, one other thing: I really, really want to get this thing running soon, couldn't I run over to Best Buy and buy a new $99 premiere and swap hard drives out? (keeping my lifetime intact) - Then I can order the new upgraded drive and wait for the slooow shipping to the east coast

12. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    no, i'm pretty sure the drive is hardware specific.
    If you want a quick way, buy a 2tb drive local, Use Comer's method & you'll be up & running in an hr (or less). With 317 hr of HD goodness
    Here's the instructions;
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=455968

oh no, you might not have an image....Does instant cake work for premiere's?

13. nitstalker

nitstalker New Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Hey all, I am back up and running again!!!!!

I stopped by Best Buy and bought a new tivo premiere for 99 bucks and swapped out hard drives...

Booted up and it is GOOD TO GO!!!! (I checked and it still shows my lifetime service!!!) Of course the fun now begins... Putting back ALL the customized settings I had on it. Luckily I am running a Tivo Media Server on my network and I have all of the shows backed up to it...

Now just take the one I just bought back to BB and be like, Oh this thing doesnt work LOL LOL

Now I can buy a larger drive for this puppy... I was gonna scream if I couldnt watch the E3 convention starting on Monday...

Thanks for the help... I hadnt realized there was such a large community of Tivo people, I will stick around :)

14. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I have had no luck finding anything using the search feature of this website. I always go to set up another post, and the website will suggest answers that might help me. It works much better than the 'search' function of this website. Then I just don't continue with the posting of another thread.

15. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I have had no luck finding anything using the search feature of this website. I always go to set up another post, and the website will suggest answers that might help me. It works much better than the 'search' function of this website. Then I just don't continue with the posting of another thread.

16. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So your solution involves defrauding Best Buy?

17. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I would just keep that Premiere as insurance. You never know, you might need a spare power supply in the future. ;)