Dead TiVo (SVR3000) - GSOD and now worse...?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Davin, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Davin

Davin New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Metro New...
    I've had my SVR3000 (Sony Series 2) since early 2003. In April 2003 I upgraded drives on it (replaced the 80 with a 120, and then added the original 80 as the second drive). It's been working great since then.

Until yesterday, that is.... :(

We turned on the TV, and the TiVo was in a GSOD slow reboot loop. After leaving it like that for a while, I did what I saw suggested somewhere, and pulled the power on it. Let it sit for a while. Then plugged it back in.

But then nothing: Did not get past the "Powering On" initial grey screen.

I assume that a drive had failed so badly, that it was just not spinning up.

So I spent today playing with those 2 drives on a PC, and finding my best alternatives.

Surprisingly, both drives spun up OK, and were mountable. mfsinfo and "pdisk -l" showed all partition etc. I mounted the ext2 filesystems, and poked at log files: and they showed "mfscheck" repeatedly failing with "assertion failed".

I decided to try to make a fresh no-recordings backup of the drives (because the only one that I have, has 2003 TiVo code on it!). But when doing that, the box started throwing lots of UnRecoverable Errors from various sectors of the first drive (the 120GB).

Some poking with dd'ing to /dev/null shows that the errors are localized, but are in /var, and the first MFS applications partitions.

So I fell back to my old tivo.bak file, from 2003.

I have a new 320GB WD drive I've been meaning to throw into one of my TiVo's. Now the old 2003 kernel isn't large-disk aware, so what I did was to mfsrestore to it, but with -bzpi options (and -s 127 -r 4) - so that it would not attempt to grow beyond the original 80GB.

Put that into the TiVo, and expected it to work. (With the plan of having it update itself to new code/kernel, and then I'd pull the drive and use mfsadd to grow itself into the rest of the 320GB drive.)

However, it still did not get beyond the Powering Up very first screen! :( :( :thumbsdown: :confused:

Any suggestions? Is it the motherboard? The power-supply? If the drive was bad (and it clearly was), why should it hard-fail in this way.

Is it OK to use the 320GB drive, as an 80GB? I assumed so - since nothing should be trying to access beyond 80GB.

Help!

Thanks.
    Davin.

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
  3. Davin

Davin New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Metro New...

That's well and good (although I do know Linux etc.). My concern is that if there are other hardware problems, which are preventing it from being able to boot, having new code on the drive won't solve my problem... yes?

I'd rather not spend the $20 on Instantcake, only to still have it never get beyond the Powering Up initial screen...

Davin.

4. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    What you did should have worked if the drive jumper is set correctly. Easier to screw up on a WD drive because of the two master settings. Normally there is no need to skip expanding the drive as you did regardless of original image. On a series two the restore process takes care of that.

5. Davin

Davin New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Metro New...

Thanks for the great advice about jumpers. It turns out that I had selected "Master, with slave present" on the WD drive - which you mentioned, and were correct. I've never seen that before, and saw "master" and just selected that one.

It boots now. :up: :up: :)

But came up with version 3.2 code. Which is so old that it doesn't support Ethernet adapter! So the poor TiVo is now downloading code upgrade over a phone line. Hopefully it'll be upgraded by in the morning.

Thanks again!

Davin.