Dead TiVo - Exchange?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jalex, Dec 5, 2005.

1. jalex

jalex New Member

Dec 8, 2004

Advertisements

Hi all -- I've had a Series 2 TiVo (AT&T Broadband edition) for almost four years now (will be four years on Thursday). I bought the lifetime subscription a couple months after I bought the box. Over the past few days it has crashed twice and now it won't start up. I called Tech Support and was told that TiVo would be happy to exchange my box for a new one. That seemed pretty generous, but I wasn't too excited about getting a new subscription, knowing that my old one was for the lifetime of the box. I asked about this and the CSR told me that they'd switch my lifetime subscription over to the new box. This sounds a little too good to be true. Has anybody else had this experience? Can anybody vouch for the lifetime subscription getting transferred?

The only downside is that it sounds like the whole process will take upwards of a month. According to the CSR, TiVo will send me a form to fill out, then I need to send the form and the TiVo box (I don't have any idea what I'll use to ship the thing in) back to TiVo. Then they'll send me a new one 10-14 business days (2-3 weeks) later. Of course, at best, this wraps up right around Christmas and New Year's so I don't get a new box until next year.

Again, can anybody confirm that all this is good information? Should I really expect to get a new TiVo box with lifetime subscription for only the cost of shipping mine back? If so, go TiVo! If not, I need to seriously consider the Comcast DVR or the rumored Apple Mac Mini / DVR supposedly coming in January. I'm tired of no TiVoToGo on the Mac and there's only so much money I'm willing to invest in TiVo these days.

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    I can confirm you will get the lifetime sub on the refurbed or new box, just surprised they are not charging you the normal $79 fee for this. Did you make it clear your unit was 4 years old and not under warranty? As far as I know, only Humax will currently do this for free on a non-warranty unit.

3. jalex

jalex New Member

Dec 8, 2004
    I didn't mention how long I'd had the box for -- I assumed that TiVo would have that information and only make me an offer that was valid for my box. (After all, I can even get that information myself from tivo.com.) I guess I shouldn't be surprised if this form that I get tells me I'll be charged. Thanks for the info!

4. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    I would say this sound to good to be true!! I would send them the info but you cant think that anything electronic after 4 years would be warranty unless you paid for some extended one at the store... Also the lifetime is for that box only. If you can get the CSR to send you something saying they will transfer it that would be good otherwise be prepared for a you said this and them saying we never said that.. battle

5. jimmymac

jimmymac New Member

Nov 6, 2002

Advertisements

I called a few weeks ago to disconnect my original Tivo (on month to month) which crapped out after I moved across the country. The box was 4 years old and the rep told me to ship it back and they would send me a new one for free. I thought it sounded too good to be true. I was told it had to do something with their chnaging vendors who handled returns. I sent it back earlier this week. Waiting to see what happens.

6. jalex

jalex New Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Since I didn't hear anything from TiVo, I called again. It turns out that the guy I spoke to the first time was a bit confused. First, they don't send out a form, I just download it. Second, he hadn't actually put through the exchange claim ticket and hadn't filled it out properly (even though I asked the guy several times and tried to speak to his manager about the whole process).

Anyway, the second time I called, I spoke to a nice gentleman who explained the whole situation. They will indeed do the exchange for free, but only for now. Apparently, the warehouse they use is moving and they're trying to empty out their stock so that the move is cheaper. Part of this move means that they're not shipping new boxes out immediately for replacements, and they're waiting to receive the old ones (then an additional 5 days for some reason). Because of the delay and the desire to clean out the warehouse, they're offering the free exchanges.

The last thing he mentioned was that the transfer of subscription hasn't been happening automatically, but he said all I had to do was call and they'd switch it for me.

I'll still believe it when I see it, but I am feeling reassured now. I shipped my TiVo out this week and it will arrive at the RMA center in Kentucky on Monday. If I'm lucky, the new box will arrive right around New Year's. Time to go cancel the Comcast DVR order.

7. jalex

jalex New Member

Dec 8, 2004
    For the record, I did receive a box from TiVo on Dec 22nd or so (at least a week earlier than expected). I didn't get to try it out until after coming back home following the holidays. When I plugged it in, I discovered that it had a really loud fan. When I was on the phone with the agent to get my lifetime service moved (turned out it was already done!) I held the phone up to the front of the unit (fan is on the back of course) and the tech support woman opened another case for me for the fan noise. Time to package this TiVo up and send it back again. Maybe I can get TiVo to pay for shipping on this one. Too bad Battlestar Galactica is starting up again so soon! Oh, also note that the unit they sent me was refurbished, not a new one.

8. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    Glad to hear u are having a good experience with this. Keep us updated