Dead Series 3 TivoHD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by shauswirth7, May 22, 2011.

1. shauswirth7

shauswirth7 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Hello,

Looking to see if anyone else has some ideas of things to try. I have 2 TivoHD units, one was purchased when the series was new a few years ago (lets call that unit #1) and the other is only about 1.5 years old (call it unit #2). The older (unit #1) was stuck on the "Powering Up" screen when I returned home one day. I figured the 750 GB replacement drive in the unit gave up and have ordered a replacement. But while waiting for the delivery, I thought I would experiment some. I took the HD out of the functional TivoHD (unit #2) and put it in unit #1. Still stuck at boot up. I expected it to boot, but not be able to play any of the shows in the now playing screen. So I then took the power supply out of unit #2 and put it in unit #1. No go, still stuck at "Powering Up". So I reversed the process and put the HD from unit #1 into unit #2, and unit #2 would boot from it. So it does not seem to be the HD or the power supply.

I've also tried removing the Cable Card, the comcast cable and ethernet cable from the back of the unit. Still no go. I can only figure it's the "motherboard", but looking for other inputs. Anything to check would be GREATLY appreciated.

If I have to replace the unit, does anyone know if Tivo will replace a Series 3 HD for a decent price?

Thanks for your time,
    Steve

2. thomb

thomb Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Mill Creek, WA
    I could be wrong, but I don't think you can swap a drive from one unit to another. Smarter people here can correct me if I'm wrong.

If replacing the unit is the outcome, you might consider looking around. Last I looked a new TivoHD is ~$80 on ebay. I doubt sending your broken unit out for repair will be any cheaper or faster. For that price a non-functioning monthly Tivo is pretty much disposable.

3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Since you have swapped power supplies, you have already reseated many of the cables, but have you done the HDD cable end on the motherboard? Same question to the power supply cables on whatever end you did NOT disconnect when you swapped them. Also try swapping the HDD cable between units.

If nothing else works, try booting the bad unit while holding slight side pressure on the HDD cable plug on the motherboard, and repeat this test with slight pressure from the OTHER side of that plug too. If it gets further in the boot process while pushing on the plug, that probably indicates a bad solder joint on the motherboard.

Lastly, if nothing else works, have you verified the drive is actually spinning in that unit? Even if the PS is good and the cables and plugs are good, it could still be power distribution to the drive. Easy test for this is to just turn on the box while holding the drive in your hand (not screwed down). Then if you try to tip it moderately fast side-to-side, the gyroscopic force of a spinning drive will push back.