1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Roamio...Power Supply?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Bwatford141, May 16, 2018 at 9:33 PM.

1. Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Naples, FL
    We had a pretty good lightning storm last night, and I woke up to a non-working Roamio Plus.

Symptoms are:
    No video output at all
    No lights on front, except for a brief moment when it's plugged in
    Fan runs
    Hard drive spools up, but is very quiet

I original thought that the issue might be the Hard Drive, so I swapped in a spare 1TB drive. No luck..
    I tested the power output on the Power Supply, and it is sending out 12V. The Hard Drive is also getting 5V and 12V. I've read that just because the power supply is producing the correct voltage, it could still not be functioning properly. I was able to find a used PS on eBay for $24, so I thought I would give that a try.

Any other recommendation on what I can do or test with my volt meter to determine what the real problem is, until my new PS comes in? I'm really hoping that it is not the motherboard, or course.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Once you get it working you should get a UPS and plug the TiVo into that. To help avoid issues in the future.

JoeKustra likes this.
  3. Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Naples, FL
    Bad news, new power supply did not fix the issue. It looks like it might be a bad chip on the motherboard causing these issues. Does anyone know if weaknees does chip-level board repairs, and what the costs generally are? I sent them an email, but they're obviously closed on the weekends. Bummer....

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I assume you have lifetime on it which is why you are trying to save it? Have you tried calling TiVo and see if they'll do any kind of repair/replacement and transfer lifetime for a fee?

Scott