Dead premier with Lifetime, is it worth anything?

Discussion in 'Buyer/Seller Area' started by rgura, Mar 29, 2019.

1. rgura

rgura RobGTX

Feb 20, 2005
    Austin, TX

Advertisements

I have an old Series 3 (tcd648250b), that does not work. Does not boot, does not get to the yellow "pwoering up" screen, makes a clicking noise, but it does have Lifetime service.

Is it worth anything, I should I take it to my local Goodwill?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I wish I'd seen this sooner, or that you're not getting around to things any more quickly than I am these days.

It's theoretically possible to move the crypto chip onto another 648 motherboard and thereby move the TiVo Service Number, to which the lifetime sub is tied.

I've done this successfully with a dual tuner Series 2, the 649, mostly in order to rescue some shows, and I'm in the middle of not yet declaring failure with a 648 from which I hope to save some shows as well.

In the case of your machine it might not be motherboard failure at all, merely a need to repair the power supply and/or to replace the hard drive.

If you still have it I'd be glad to pay to have it shipped to me, so that if I can, I'll have an emergency no-fee OTA machine for friends or family on hand (well, actually on shelf, but...:D