Dead or Dying Phillips Series 1 HD-112?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Endy, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Endy

Endy New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Lexington,...
    Hey Guys,

I've been using an upgraded TiVo Series 1 HD-112 Phillips for a long while now (about 21 months) with the Upgraded LBA-48 Kernel to break the 160GB limit (see my original post in the sticky above about when I was going to do it back in may of 04). It has been giving me intermittant trouble for a month or two now (spontaniously rebooting, cutting off parts of or the ends of or the last halves of shows--mostly due to freezing while recording them) and today I went to watch something after not having used it for a few days to see it frozen on reboot screen (the first black one, not the grey one). I unplugged it, and attempted to let it boot again with the same results, after a few tries I listed for any wierd HDD sounds, it's eerily quiet, and the fan doesn't spin up either (perhaps it doesn't until later in boot, I'm not sure). At any rate, I assume one or both of my 160GB 5400RPM Maxtor HDDs is/are dead. I've got probably a year's worth of TV on those drives, so it is, needless to say, a bad day (it was the topper to pretty much my worst day in a year or two). I was wondering what to do from here? Should I attempt Spinrite 6 or something? Should I try to backup the TiVo drives or image them? (I would likely lose my recordings doing that wouldn't I?) I have the original image backed up on a CD somewhere so if I can find instructions again and/or remember how I can go back through re-expanding the image but, I'd like to preserve my poor TV if possible. Does anyone have any advice? I haven't popped the tivo open yet, I'm leaving it for tomorrow when I'm calmer. Thanks in advance everyone.