dead hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by claude provost, Sep 22, 2007.

1. claude provost

claude provost New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    i am just wondering as I am new to this stuff...can one replace a hard drive in a 40 hour tivo 2 box. it is 4 years old...and if so . how does one do this and at about what cost

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    If your drive is dead you need either a drop-in drive TiVo Upgrade Kit

or

Do It Yourself with a PC, EIDE drive and a image for your model of TiVo.
    InstantCake comes with the image and scripted software that automates the process.

3. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    HomeUser is correct the TiVo only has 2 replaceable Parts, The Hard drive and the battery (2032 about the size of a quarter) both should be replaced at the same time. You will need a Torx 10 driver (like a screwdriver). Recommend you have the TiVo unplugged as the power supply is unshielded. Good Luck.

4. GlennL

GlennL Finding My Way

Mar 1, 2005
    Sunny...
    If you decide to do it yourself. You'll need to get a replacement HD. As noted above you will want to get the right image for it. I recommend DVRUpgrnde. I've re-imaged several drives using different available sources. They've proven to be the most reliable so far.

Be sure and do your homework and read every caution you see when re-imaging and expanding your HD. My counsel, read directions at least twice, ask questions and have fun.

5. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    The power supply is replaceable
    The fan is replaceable
    The IR sensor is replaceable

6. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Prom is replaceable also... Thanks Omikron