Dead Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by restino, Aug 18, 2007.

1. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    1 - given that i've never done an upgrade before probably best to use instantcake for simplicity?

2 - can i use the instantcake cd to create a brand new hard drive out of the box to plug right into the HR10-250 unit and just start using it right away?

3 - just curious and switching gears here - can i plug a good HR10-250 hard drive into a HR10-250 with a bad hard drive (replace it i mean) and it will work after a simple swap? should i do a full clear and delete on the good hard drive unit before i would replace it onto the bad unit? or does it know that it was already activated on the other unit and cant be swapped?

thank you for your help and careful attention the tivo-fans always give when answering!

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    I'll try to answer your questions as you asked them

1 - Instant Cake is the easiest, if you are starting from a blank drive and don't have a working hard drive or a good drive image to work with. If you do have a working drive, you can use a mfslive.org boot CD to copy the working drive to a blank drive.

2 - Yes. You'll have to do a Clear and Delete Everything after you start it up for the first time. This is in the Instant Cake directions.

3 - Yes. You'll have to do a Clear and Delete Everything after you start it up for the first time. Wow, deja vu. :) I'd recommend you finish Guided Setup first before putting the working drive into the broken TiVo. If you do a Clear and Delete Everything before you move it to the broken TiVo, you'll have to run the Guided setup twice. Big waste of time.

Hope that helps.
    robomeister

3. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    thanks for the info!

my tivo is the HR10-250. instant cake says huges made it but i thought directv made it. can anyone clear this up for me?

also, anybody that used the instacake CD - i was wondering which version i should buy. seems like there is standard and then the advanced, which im guessing has the standard stuff as well - so why would anyone buy just the standard instead of buying the advanced one that has tools and networking stuff on it?

was also wondering if the hr10-250 is a series 2 or series 3?

thank you