1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deactivated TiVoHD: Any Value or Use

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by waynomo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I took advantage of the recent TiVo promotion and purchased two new TiVo Bolts and transferred lifetime service from my two TiVoHDs to the bolts via the recent $99 dollar offer.

What capabilities and/or value will my TiVoHDs have after they are deactivated by TiVo and cable cards removed? Is it anything besides a poorly designed door stop?

1. Will I still be able to watch the recorded programs that are on it?
    2. Will I be able to transfer non-copy protected programs to my PC?
    3. Will I be able to transfer copy protected programs to another TiVo?
    4. Will I be able to Transfer programs from My PC or another TiVo to it?
    5. Will I be able to manually record anything either from cable or OTA? I assume that there will be no program data and I would have to manually setup the time, duration, and channel. I assume that Guided Setup will no longer work if the TiVoHD was moved to a new area with a different cable provider. (Is that correct?)
    6. If I would be able to record could it be re-paired with a different cable card at some point in time in the future?

My basic goal here is to figure out what value the TiVoHDs have after they are permanently deactivated.

One box has a 500GB TiVo Expander that I can sell on eBay. The other box was upgraded to a 1 TB drive. I can also sell the replaced remotes which are Premiere remotes. (Upgraded)

Again, any and all thoughts on this are appreciated.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Just yes on #1.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Yep watch recorded shows is about all you can do in that list. All of the other features are dependent on having service.

Scott

4. jjeff

jjeff Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Minneapolis MN
    Wouldn't the OP be able to simply use the tuners in the Tivo to watch live TV and maybe the 30 minute buffer? I thought one could at least do that with an unsubbed Tivo although I believe you might get a nag screen telling you to activate your Tivo, which you could dismiss each time??

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Has anyone ever tried to use an unsubscribed s3 as an ota converter box for a subscribed S2?

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Nope, it will not even record manually. Only thing is good for is parts.

7. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I don't think the S2 would be able to control the S3 via IR (I doubt it would be a selection)?

Scott

8. May 1, 2017 #8 of 44
    shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    I think it still records to the live buffers and could be used as an OTA converter box. It's got composite output, that can be recorded by a series 2.

9. May 1, 2017 #9 of 44
    waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    To clarify my current understanding:

My original thought was that as long as the box never connected to the TiVo mothership again, the box would still be able to record. However, since then I read elsewhere here on TCF that the box would only work for 30 days after it's last connection to TiVo. After not connecting for 30 days the ability to record feature (along with some others) will no longer be enabled.

I will probably test this in a month or two and can report back.

Does anybody know for sure if this is the case?

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I've seen the speculation both ways. You may be the beta. ;)

11. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    CSR told me yesterday when I was specifying which HD to retire (had to call), that there would be some upcoming changes that would impact the HD. He wouldn't say more than that. What brought it up was when I randomly commented that "I couldn't kill my HD units and that they just kept ticking".

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Perhaps the impetus for the recent $99 S2/S3 retirement offer?

13. jjeff

jjeff Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Minneapolis MN
    Could be the migration of MPEG2 channels to MPEG4 if your using cable, which would render your HD useless...

14. shwru980r

Jun 22, 2008
    I think the Tivo HD 652 and the HD XL got an update recently that allowed them to support MPEG4 channels. Only the S3 OLED 648 model does not support MPEG4.

15. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That was with version 11.0n.b1 back in January/February 2016 so it's actually been a while now. :)

Scott

16. jjeff

jjeff Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Minneapolis MN
    Nice, I didn't realize that. I thought the lack of MPEG4 support was more to do with a hardware limitation than software. Of course being OTA I'm not personally concerned about it but it's nice that Tivo was able to add that feature to the HD :)

17. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No even the original S3 OLED has hardware that can decode MPEG4 but they never release software that would support it for cable TV recordings. The Australia version of the HD supported MPEG4 so presumably that made it easier for them to back port it to the US HD model.

Scott

jjeff likes this.
  18. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    any changes looming, to your knowledge, which would make recording OTA material in North America impossible? Changes with the ATSC 3 spec? My plan is to keep my HD Lifetime unit around as an OTA box only.

19. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Did you use it to take advantage of the Once in a Lifetime offer or is it still fully active with no pending deactivation?

Nothing is forever. However, when they switched to digital only for OTA they made conversation boxes available so I suspect the same would happen in the future.

20. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    It's still a currently active Lifetime box, depending on if the mess up the 'Once In A Lifetime' pick a machine offer. Series 3, or Tivo HD's, were always ATSC I thought - I'm just wondering if they're ready for the next incarnation of OTA, or if the spec is backwards compatible