Deactivated TiVo Roamio's limitations?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by eskovan, Mar 2, 2021.

1. eskovan

eskovan Member

Sep 30, 2002

Advertisements

Ok, so I’ve been a TiVo user for over 20 years, but in all that time I've never had (or used) a deactivated TiVo unit. I just got a TiVo Stream 4K and I really like it, so I want to cancel my cable and return the CableCard.

But I still have a ton of unwatched stuff on my Roamio. Unless something's changed, I'm pretty sure that removing the CableCard (and cancelling all the OnePass entries) will not impede watching the stuff recorded on it, right? Will my TiVo mini (an original series 1) still connect & play from it?

What about when I deactivate my old Roamio from the TiVo service? I seem to remember it will occasionally show a nag screen, but will it still play the old stuff, correct? And will it still connect and play thru my mini? Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Without Tivo service, you can only watch Live TV and any recorded shows, with no REW/FF/Pause. It will not record, nor can you use a Mini with it.

Selling it will not yield much unless it has Lifetime Service.

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    A deactivated TiVo won't let you pause a recorded program? Recorded back when it was active?

ETA: As mentioned by snerd below, the quote is incorrect. A deactivated TiVo has fully functioning trick play features.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  4. eskovan

eskovan Member

Sep 30, 2002
    Well, obviously I don’t care about live TV, the old TiVo will have no input. It will just be an archive device with hundreds of hours of unwatched content still on it.

Until I cancel it’s TiVo service it will still function fully as a media player, right? Including still streaming to my mini?

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Yes, with Tivo service, it will function normally. Call Tivo, tell them you are considering canceling service on it. They might offer you Lifetime service for $99 or $199. It may take several calls.

6. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Cancelling Tivo service does not prevent REW/FF/Pause from working. It only means there will be no guide information and no communication with Minis.

astrohip likes this.