De-enabling features on S3 HD-what to do?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by davidb4775, Dec 1, 2019.

1. davidb4775

davidb4775 Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Have a TiVo S3 HD running software 11.0n.K1-01-2-652 that is only connected to OTA antenna. We bought the lifetime service and do not have cable. Received TiVo message today that “effective 1/2/2020, the Netflix app will no longer be available on Series 3 machines."

While I realize this is an older machine, it is used in the kitchen and fits our needs. We use a Roamio OTA for our main viewing in the Den. I feel that to “de-enable” a feature is the beginning of a long protracted death for the S3.

For our relatively simple needs, what are our options? We can live without Netflix in the kitchen and certainly have other Netflix viewing options in the kitchen (ie Firestick) Am considering the following:
    1. Upgrading to a Bolt OTA but the lifetime service is the same price as the device for a total of $500 but really don't want the ads.
    2. Getting another Roamio OTA for around $350 but how long til that model is targeted for phase-out?
    3. Ride this Series 3 pony till it drops, then decide then.

I am inclined to go with the Roamio while new/refurbished units are available with a warranty. Once upon a time, Tivo offered a service discount on upgrades for those already having a lifetime plan. Do those still exist? Suggestions, options or insight I am missing? TIA

Attached Files:

2. Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Your already using a fire stick, try out a Fire TV recast maybe?

3. SullyND

SullyND W: 45-24 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    There are a number of older devices that are losing access to Netflix due to a change in how Netflix is doing encryption. Probably what hit TiVo too.

jrtroo, LoadStar and Noelmel like this.
  4. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Damn I got that message on my TivoHD about 3 weeks ago...but then it mysterious was deleted by itself.

I'd do option 3....ride it until it dies or Tivo gives us a good upgrade deal ;)
    (My TivoHD is still chugging along)

osu1991 likes this.
  5. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    That's a shame. The series 3 is a nice piece of equipment.

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I'm surprised the Netflix client has worked as long as it has on the S3/HD. Note that many of the other online features have already been removed.

I'd go with the Roamio OTA.

The Roamio OTA comes with lifetime/All-in service. I don't think there are any current specials on upgrades at this time.

Scott

7. jimpmc

jimpmc Member

Oct 31, 2001
    If the HD is handling the DVR capabilities you want, then there is little reason to spend any additional $ for the same basic functionality. If you do want to upgrade, then perhaps wait until TiVo offers another trade-up with lifetime offer.

8. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Another option might be to get a Mini to tie into your den's Roamio OTA.

Otherwise, I'd lean to riding out the S3 until it dies. However, there is something to be said about having another full TiVo running in the house, and another Roamio OTA would be able to stream from the one you already have.

9. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Ride the S3 till it dies, if even then if it's the only the hard disc that dies, repair and ride again. If you're lucky and can get a few more years ATSC 3.0 will sort itself out and then it might make sense to get a new Tivo/recorder. You never know...