Daytona and House

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tomhorsley, Feb 27, 2012.

1. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010

Advertisements

So, NASCAR has already announced several hours before the scheduled time that the Daytona 500 will start at 7 PM tonight. What are the odds that my TiVo will find out when House and Alcatraz have been postponed to? (Or that I will ever find out, for that matter, it certainly isn't on the FOX schedule info web page yet :).

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Since zap2it still has it scheduled for a Noon start, I'd say that the odds are zero that the TiVo will ever find out and that we will have to force record the actual showings of those two episodes.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Since a 7PM Daytona race will postpone the normal airings, it should pick them up in their next scheduled slot, it's what's so great about a SP. One of the benefits of the new style faster guide updates over the past few years.

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    If the Tivo does not get the guide update in time it will think it already recorded these episodes and so will not record them when they actually air. The chance of everyone getting that update in time is slim at this point.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

Big IF there.. I have seen the new style update method be much more aggressive in pushing out these changes to boxes over the past few years. If the box gets an update push removing these they'll get rescheduled as long as it gets it before 8PM EDT.

6. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    On this subject.. Is there a way to record a certain channel for a certain time frame regardless of what is on? I want to record the Daytona 500 but I think I would have to go in a just record what ever is in the guide for how ever long I think the race will last. Is there another way, if not there should be :)

7. Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    Set up a manual recording.

8. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Of course, this works both ways - if, somehow, the schedules are updated to take the 7 PM start into account, and then the race is postponed again, then new episodes of House and Alcatraz end up being aired after all with all of the SPs missing them.

(Hopefully, if this does happen, or if NASCAR decides at 7:00 to wait until 8:00 to start and Fox decides to air House an hour early (they have done this before with The Simpsons, albeit with a repeat), Fox is smart enough to air a repeat.

In any event, keep an eye on the schedule, since whatever Fox airs between 8 and 10 Eastern will be considered as new episodes of House and Alcatraz as far as TiVo is concerned, it might not schedule it because it thinks "it was recorded in the past 28 days".)

9. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    How is that done? I looked through the menus and couldn't find a spot to do that.. Thx

10. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I don't know what 'new style update method' you are talking about. Tivo updates their servers and any Tivo that makes a connection after that gets the update. They don't push anything out. We (TCF) had an issue with this last summer with the President giving a speech. It was announced the day before and the update was not made available until the afternoon of the day of the speech. Any Tivos that connected before the update was made, had to make a manual connection to get the new data.

It's now after 2pm. The announcement was made about 3.5 hours ago. The update still hasn't reached Zap2It. Which means it is likely at least a few more hours before it gets to Tivo. Don't hold your breath for an update this evening.

11. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Find Programs->Record By Time/Channel->Set Up Manual Recording

12. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Thx. Said that I have had a Tivo for 3 years and didn't know about this.

13. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    House and Alcatraz are on Hulu plus, so those that subscribe shouldn't need to worry too much.

14. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Tribune has updated the listings. TiVo doesn't have them yet but if wait until closer to 7PM EST to force a connection attempt, it should update.

15. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Where are you seeing that? I just checked and it is still showing House/Alcatraz.

16. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    (in bad French accent) "nut anymore".

17. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    It's still not changed. It has the Nascar race on now.

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    How long is the Daytona 500? (I'm not a NASCAR fan) Is this something that is likely to effect West coast people? Or just the East coast?

Dan

19. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    If the race goes off on time (7pm eastern) it should last around 3 1/2 hours. If there are rain delays during the race than it is anyone's guess. A couple of years ago the Daytona race that is in July had rain delays and didn't finish until 2am. That race also started earlier than 7pm.

20. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Unfortunately, Dan, it always seems that if programs get bumped on the east coast the are also bumped out west even if there is no time conflict in the west.