daylight savings

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by peteopo, Mar 15, 2018.

1. peteopo

peteopo New Member

Sep 3, 2008

Advertisements

Looks like Florida might go to Daylight savings time 365. How would that affect Tivo scheduling?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Since it has to be approved by congress, I'm not sure it's going to be more than a discussion topic for a long time. Also, I think they want to be on Atlantic time. Florida is a nice state, but sure has some strange people.

Sunshine Daydream: Florida Bill Would Make Daylight Saving Time Year-Round

To be accurate, it's Daylight Saving Time.

lalouque and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  3. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I'm in Arizona with all Mountain Standard Time and no Daylight saving time here. Short answer: TiVo handles it with no problem as long as the guide data reflects what's on TV.

Long answer: you'll find that programming shifts depending on the channel.

For channels that normally feature "live" programming (CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, ESPN, etc) there's only one true "feed" and to me everything shifts an hour.

For local channels (NBC, Fox, CBS, ABC) the time of programs stays the same. Jeopardy, recorded before DST shift and after, has a 4:30 PM airtime.

For cable channels, we get the "West" or "Pacific" feeds. The programming on these channels also shifts an hour.

For all of the above scenarios, as long as the channel call number matches the actual programming, the TiVo records as normal. At one point Cox attempted to switch from some West feeds to another feed (Central time zone?) and there was confusion on the timing of when that programming update happened and when the Cablecards were notified of the change. They abandoned that approach a long time ago.

JoeKustra likes this.
  4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    So many folks add the S on the end...

5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

I'm happy when the G is pronounced.

6. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    The engine and guide data uses UTC time when scheduling, which doesn't have DST.

The guide when displayed obviously needs to know your local time zone and DST to display correctly. Manual recordings also are adjusted every time a DST shift occurs to convert them back to UTC.

7. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm with Florida, I wish the whole country would stay on one time year round.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm with: Arizona (except for the Navajo, who do observe daylight saving time on tribal lands), Hawaii, and the overseas territories of American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the United States Virgin Islands.

Isn't DST like fluoride in the water? :)

9. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Daylight savings is nonsense. It serves no usefulness and proves how simple minded we were back in the day... or still are?

dfreybur likes this.
  10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    The purpose for which it was instituted during WWI was to save energy. Numerous studies have proven conclusively that numerous studies have been done. Some indicated that energy is saved and others the opposite. A recent study I read about said that in the spring we have a small increase in heart attacks and traffic accidents in the weeks following the change, and in the fall a somewhat smaller decrease resulting in a net gain in mortality. I think Ben Franklin should have kept to flying kites.

I can't imagine there will be any long-term problem with TiVo if Florida were to get this idea approved, since all it really amounts to is going to Atlantic time instead of Eastern time, plus opting out of DST like Arizona. In the short term, I'm sure TiVo will screw up the schedule, as they do.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Why do you say that? Personally, I enjoy having more daylight at the end of the "day" than at the beginning--I feel like I have more "life," including for fitting in outdoor exercise at the end of the day. (Of course, someone who likes having an earlier day might feel otherwise.)

tenthplanet likes this.
  12. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Yup. I dislike DST for this reason. I live in the high desert. Brutal summer heat. An extra hour at the end of the day is just another hour spent taking shelter indoors because it is too hot to do anything outside, until the sun sets at the temperature starts to drop. I start my activities at dawn, the coolest time of day, and try to finish before solar noon. Siesta (in a manner of speaking) until sunset.

I'd prefer an extra hour of daylight before 9am, when most folks are due at work.

murgatroyd and Mikeguy like this.
  13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Maybe we need to compromise at half-an-hour. ;)

lalouque and RGM1138 like this.
  14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You won't be alone. Plenty of those already.

15. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Patiently proven false.

16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Yep, I like it for this as well. I don't understand why people have issues adjusting to it either. You go to bed an hour earlier or an hour later depending on which way you are switching and get the same amount of sleep you always do. :)

Scott

Megamind likes this.
  17. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Patently proven false as well! I knock doors from May to Election Day so that extra hour helps fend off stumbling around neighborhoods in the dark, Cops getting called, using flashlights near peoples' homes. Last year DST didnt change until the Sunday before Election Day. Sometimes it is much earlier.

18. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    :D
    Maybe they were patient patients as they patently proved it false. Patiently.

:D

19. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    Without DST, the sun would rise at 4:24 AM at my house (in Syracuse, NY). It would start getting bright out at 3:49 AM. Surely you didn't mean to get the extra hour of daylight at 4:30 AM, right?

Conversely, with DST year round the sun would rise at 8:36 AM in early January. Little kids would be waiting for the school bus on the corner when it's pitch dark. That's an accident waiting to happen.

And if you live north of 43 degrees north, those times are even worse.

20. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    So get up and start school an hour later for certain time periods. Surely that is a better solution that trying (poorly) to change time itself?