Dating in the Dark. (Entire season *Spoilers*)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scsiguy72, Jul 23, 2009.

1. scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy

Advertisements

Did anyone watch this? I’m not sure what I think about this yet. Kind of a clever twist on things. 3 different Boys and 3 Different Girls each week. For 4 days they stay in the same house but the boys are on one side, girls on another. They only “see” each other and date it a pitch black room and we watch via infrared cameras. Then at the end of the show they have the reveal and the couples decide if they want to continue to date or go home alone.
    It was pretty funny, the 2 of the guys thought their chicks were hot, and 2 girls thought their guys were meh.

I felt bad for the one guy that wacthed his date leave through the front door without him.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I watched last night. Not sure what I think yet though. It all seemed a bit rushed so we really didn't see a lot of interaction between each variation of couples. I wonder if they'll stay with a formula of one "ugly", one "average" and one "attractive" person on each side. That way an ugly is paired with an attractive on each side and the two averages are together.

3. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    I agree with the whole thing feeling Rushed. I liked that they wrapped things up by the end of the show, but we really didn't get to "know" the players much.

4. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I thought it was a pretty interesting experiment. Although I felt bad for the guy, at the end of the end you want an attractive partner. The girl was pretty enough that she can probably get a dozen of his type.

5. latrobe7

latrobe7 Fine for real TCF Club

May 1, 2005
    Orange...

Advertisements

Christina was a *****. She supposedly had this great connection with the guy until she saw him; which is particularly funny since he looked pretty close to the sketch she got back from the sketch artist. That 20 second look at him meant more than any conversation or 'connection' they had in the dark. What a superficial c*nt.

And she wasn't that hot - Alistair was hotter in relation to his date; and he still gave her another chance (and guys are supposed to be the superficial ones)... after all they aren't getting married, it's just another date.

I think it was pretty cold to walk out and embarrass the guy on national TV, rather than drive off in a Bentley limo with him, then let the relationship fizzle later, off-camera. I hope that she was encouraged by the producers to leave, just for the drama. Otherwise, I hope that she finds karma to be an even bigger ***** than she is. :p

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I liked it (though as usual, with reality shows I watched it on my non-Tivo at faster-than-realtime with sound)..

It showed that women _can_ be just as shallow as men are stereotyped to be. I thought it was interesting that *all* of the guys went on the balcony, yet one of the women dumped the guy. She's shallow.

7. tetspa

tetspa New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    After watching the first 2 episodes, here are the stereotypes that have been confirmed:

1) women are MUCH MORE superficial than men when it comes to looks. A great looking man will go out with a "fair" girl-next-door, while a great-looking girl will walk away from a nice but boring-looking guy
    2) Guys do not want girls who are over-religious (in comparison to them).
    3) If you are on that show, now matter how turned-off you are, go on the balcony for the finale...you come off looking too much like a smuck if you bail out. You can always just break up later off camera.

8. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    1) I feel women are more forgiving in the looks department. I guy can find the slightest imperfection to justify dumping a woman.
    2) Agree.
    3) What would the fun be in that?!

9. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    After last night's episode I thought the one guy that did walk away may have done the right thing. He says he found her attractive (which I believe) and that they were just at different points in their life (which I believe). Sure going to the balcony is just for one more date, if even that, not proposal like a certain show before it :D so there is very little harm done, but the purpose of dating is to find a lifelong mate (well the end purpose that is) so he saw himself wasting his and her time because the religious thing is killer and I know it can be a relationship killer. I do have to give him props.

Score as of now are 5-5 (I am counting the number of guys that went to the balcony and the number of girls that went to the balcony).

10. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    1) I think the key is that men are more focused on physical attributes initially, but we're also more likely to go along with it if other overriding factors present themselves (eg. she shows obvious interest, or is a good match in other ways). Women don't necessarily focus on the physical as much, but when they do it's more likely to be an absolute minimum requirement that they're unwilling to bend on.

11. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    I'm always amazed by definitions of "fat" or "thick" that I see on TV.

I can very much understand the guy being cautious about the girl who packed a bible for the trip. I don't think I would've been able to deal with that amount of religion either. I don't want to be subjected to grace unless it's Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. If I had to look forward to that at every dinner date, I think I would have taken that stroll down the driveway too.

I think the Bentley would be better if the participants could actually drive it. What's the good of 550hp when you're in the back seat? ;)

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think at some angles she looked a bit big.. but most of the time I thought she wasn't very big. She had a great personality though (unfortunately I do sort of mean that in the stereotypical way).

Wow, the one girl that got dumped this week was WAY hotter than any of the other 5 women who have shown up so far... But was way too stuck on religion.

13. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    the girl who got dumped last night was the hottest/coolest of them all. That dude blew it.

14. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    The one thing that didn’t make a lot of sense to me was, the guy that dumped the religious girl KNEW that she was into religion after the first group date, yet he kept going back to her for his other dates and chose to see her in the reveal. He said that she was hot, and it was the Christian thing that got to him, so why did he pursue her?

Makes me think that he didn’t want to go for one of the other girls for fear that he would have to compete and he might be the one left on the balcony

15. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Some guys also use that as an excuse when they don't want to state the real reason.

The thing is, men are constantly slammed by women for being too superficial when it comes down to looks.
    And this (and Average Joe) shows that women can be just as superficial (if not more so) then men.

16. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    See, this is where I disagree. I think men want certain ...attributes (different ones for each guy), and once we have those we're pretty well satisfied. It's women who often nitpick and eliminate a guy over tiny little details.

17. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Did he have a choice to change partners at that point? I thought after the compatibility survey linked them up, they had no option but to stick with the same partner.

18. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    They go on a mandatory match date after the compatibility but then I believe most other dates you can choose who to see and I believe this episode some did try to switch and it just wasn't working out.

19. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Damn! What an interesting show this week. Two of the guys drops out the other 3 girls have a great connection and see him and then none show up. The guy was not ugly either. Amazing. This last episode was slightly depressing, if he couldn't get a girl how could I?

20. scsiguy72

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    I"ll say. That has to be an Ego bruiser!