DATELINE 2012: Tivoogle Passes DirecTV and Comcast in Revenue

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jrinck, Jan 16, 2006.

1. jrinck

jrinck Certified Neurotic

Nov 23, 2004
    TIVOOGLE PASSES DIRECTV AND COMCAST IN REVENUE

ALVISO, CA (UP) - Content facilitator Tivoogle today announced their third quarter earnings, and for the first time in company history, revenue has surpassed that of one time content provider giants DirecTV and Comcast.

"The past six years have brought forth more change in how people watch TV than in the previous 75, including the years when Tivoogle, then just Tivo, was simply a company that licensed software for DVRs", said Tivoogle CEO John McGowan. "The shift to obtaining content via the Internet versus through satellite and cable wires is the number one reason." he added.

As little as six years ago, television content was primarily fed into viewer's homes through satellite dishes or cables, but in 2006, on the heels of Apple's effort to deliver programming to iPods, as well as the rapid proliferation of DVRs, allowed consumers to choose WHEN they received their content, versus having one chance when the content was broadcast.

Consumer rights activist Venkat Ramamurthy was not surprised at Tivoogle's revenue announcment. "From my perspective, if 60 Minutes first broadcasts at 7:00, I don't necessary need to have it recorded at 7:00 if I'm not going to watch it until several hours later, or even the next day. I'm perfectly content with telling my DVR to obtain the show off the Internet as soon as possible after it's first made available. This way all I need is my Internet connection and a subscription with a content facilitator like Tivoogle to handle the logistics. Unless I really need to watch the show Live, which is rare, I'm just fine with this, and so are many viewers as the shrinking subscriber numbers to cable and satellite companies attest."

Cable and Satellite providers, who also branched into Internet service providing, tried in such desperation to save their content provider business that they undermined their own potential offerings as content facilitators, allowing Tivo to rise from the fifth foot of the grave and later merge with Internet giant Google.

"We knew the content distribution would eventually shift to an Internet model, and that's why you'll notice that we began to differentiate ourselves from simply a DVR company many years prior to 2006. We were in the right place at the right time, and to toot our own horn, we put ourselves there intentionally. We didn't merge with Google for the heck of it." further added CEO McGowan. "While Comcast and DirecTV weren't monopolies, they foolishly acted like them just as the disruptive technology of Gigabit Internet arose, allowing an hour's worth of programming to be delivered to a set top box in less than a minute. But this is usually how monopolies die. Unwillingness to accept a changing business model."

Tivoogle's stock rose to $198 in after hours trading. Comcast and DirecTV saw losses to $1.38 and $0.94, respectively.

2. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    What company is it?

3. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    This is what happens when I don't have my morning coffee.

4. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I'm as much of a TiVo fan as the next guy, but if Google bought TiVo, the resulting company would be called Google. :)

5. JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes and the product name would be TiVo.

6. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Google talked about connecting all sorts of hardware together with software. Their theme seems to be- there is plenty of hardware- it is the software that is lacking.

So I'm not sure why, if Google is not interested in doing a google PC (with enormous benefits), then why would they become involved with identifying themselves as a competitor in the hardware space for the niche DVR market? It just seems contrary to everything Google was saying in their Keynote.

The press was rather surprized about the Google PC denial (from Schmidt) and followed up with OS's:
    So not only have they no plans of hardware, but it was stunning to me that they also propose no OS. Hmmm no Google on top of a Viiv platform? That seemed like an obvious way to deal with security and connectivity issues in a robust way.

That makes it interesting for lots of hardware guys, but what are the requirements? Something that can display XML and execute javascript? Come on- how are you going to do snappy UI on phones to DVRs to Macs to $100 PCs with super thin client code?

Google says they want to provide the software connectivity between all these devices but I guess I don't understand how Google intends to go about this. Say for google video, do they intend to port their player natively to every platform known to man? That's a huge amount of code.

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    What I will enjoy in 2012 is being able to pull down previous seasosns in order so If I decided that 24 hours the 16th day is still going strong I can catch up on the first 15 24 hour periods with such a service. That is the value of such a thing and will change the whole idea of what a season is to broadcasters even more than it has changed already.

of course the article glossed over the move away from Hardware by TiVo in 2008 to its Chinese subsidiary that set up the merger. Google specifically never wanted to be involved with owning/providing the hardware platform which is what had doomed the netflix move to download

I vote for TooVle

8. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Tiwhoogle? :D

9. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    There's the story about how in 2008 Google was able to buy TiVo for one share, setting a record for a transaction between public companies.