Dark S3E06 "Light and Shadow" (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by wprager, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:27 AM.

1. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ah, so original prime world Jonas survives the apocalypse by going to the basement/cellar, not by Martha saving him. This is why Stranger Jonas had no memory of her.

2. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    A switch point. Umm, ok, so we have one Jonas surviving by hiding in the cellar and eventually becoming Adam, and the other one saved by alt Martha. So there are still two worlds, but now there are too timelines for Jonas, so in a way three worlds. Confusing.

Also confusing was what looked like a continuity error with the cleft lips. When the old man and the boy go to one powerplant and the adult version to the other, the adult's cleft lip scary it's on his right (our left), which needs the alt world. But the boy and the old man first have it on their right as well, then it shifts over to their left. If it's not a continuity error I have no idea what that was.

So they are the ones who initially create the incident at the power plant (s) in 1986.

Adam is trying to make sure The Origin is never born and Eve is working on the opposite.

Adam could have just waited a minute more after killing Martha and then killed the alt Martha. Or he could have castrated Jonas (killing him would have created a paradox).

And Martha did not have any reason to kill Jonas that I can discern.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It seemed to be the same logic for Eve that killing Martha was for Adam...to harden the younger self through massive traumatic loss.

4. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I haven't been able to find a good recap of this episode yet. I have been holding back watching E07 until I could better understand E06. But then I lost office she started watching E07.

And it got me thinking of E06. I'll try to be spoiler free (only watched the first couple scenes of E07 so far).

What makes this particular moment in time special? You know the old theory where every single decision point creates a new parallel universe. Every decision point for every living being. There is, literally, an infinite number of parallel worlds. Here we only have two (or at least we've only been shown two). It doesn't really matter sense for there to be two and only two. There, really, could only be one or an infinite number.

Anyhow, enough philosophy.

So we have one version of Jonas hiding in the cellar and becoming Adam, and the other one who travels with alt Martha. How did the second Jonas come into being? Again, what makes this time, this place, this one individual special? Only Jonas got "cloned"? How does that make sense?

5. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok, let's assume there was something special about that particular time and place to make it a switch point. We don't have an infinite number of parallel worlds, we just have two. Do wouldn't that mean the other world came into being right then and there? Otherwise we have just Jonas being "cloned" which doesn't make sense.

Or maybe we don't really have two worlds, but just one which is caught in a loop. Two loops.

6. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
  7. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hmm, surprisingly I am no better off understanding this episode. What the recap explains is pretty much my understanding.

Looks like both loops exist at the same time but I don't know why. It must be the Schrodinger's Cat thing where both versions exist at the same time. So maybe there are 4 worlds.