Dark (Netflix) Seasons 1-2 (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by wprager, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Jun 1, 2020 #1 of 38
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've recently finished rewatching S1 and I am about half way through S2. I've been following a series of recaps where some interesting suggestions were brought up (whether I agree or disagree is not importsnt, but the point is *I* did not think of them while watching myself). I also have a few questions and will, undoubtedly, have more as I finish S2.

So this is the place to discuss such matters as we await the release of S3 in less than 4 weeks' time.

2. Jun 1, 2020 #2 of 38
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    The recaps I've been following are hosted on metawitches.com, in case anyone wants to check them out. A bit wordy, but write through and introduces interesting parallels to some Greek mythology (Ariadne's Thread features prominently in S1 so the parallels drawn are interesting).

A couple observations from some of the recaps. The author is suggesting that *some* changes are being introduced. First, he mentions that 1980s Helge is visited by Egon in an institution, where as previously he was living by himself. Personally, I think it's just the outcome of the car accident (old Helge trying to kill his younger self). She it may well be a temporary situation.

He also mentioned when younger Egon visits Ulrich in the mental institution that he smells him and asks if he's started drinking already or if he will start with his wife leaves him. He then suggests that we haven't seel 1980s Egon drinking in S2 and how that's another change. Personally, I am not convinced (I guess Lost has conditioned into believing you cannot change things, at least nothing major).

3. Jun 1, 2020 #3 of 38
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Some questions:

Does anyone else think Adam may not be Jonas? Adult Jonas said Noah was Adam's pawn. He clearly still thinks he's not Adam, and this is after he agreed to run an errand for Adam to try to talk Michael out of killing himself (I'm only on E6 but I'm assuming he did not succeed), so whatever has happened in the next 30-odd years hasn't convinced him that he is Adam.

4. Jun 1, 2020 #4 of 38
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Logistically speaking, how does a mute girl become a big leader in a post-apocalyptic world?

5. Jun 1, 2020 #5 of 38
    hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    It gets written in the script. ;)

6. Jun 1, 2020 #6 of 38
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I was actually only up to E5, just started 6 now. In the opening they show the family portraits of the main families, and there are four Khnwalds. It looks like Jonas has a sister? I didn't read anything in the recaps about this.

Edit: never mind. That's Ines, they just didn't do a good job aging her (or a really need a better tv).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  7. Jun 1, 2020 #7 of 38
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Oh holy f**k, Michael wasn't even thinking of hanging himself until Jonas mentioned it!

8. Jun 2, 2020 #8 of 38
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    You do realize there's another thread dedicated to this show:

Dark on Netflix

9. Jun 2, 2020 #9 of 38
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That one's not labeled as a spoiler thread...

10. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Ahh, so that's why there's two threads. Okey Dokey ;)

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, the first one is basically an announcement & news thread without detailed discussion of the actual show.

Of course, the way this one was titled we'll need another thread for the third season...

12. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    This one is specifically aimed at discussion leading up to S3. Tick tock.

So no-one has answers to my questions or more questions?

13. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    As much as I enjoyed watching the show at the time, I don't remember nearly enough detail to answer anyone's questions about it.

14. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Finally finished S2. So, clearly, they've now introduced parallel universe and inter-dimendional travel. Martha clearly died and unless she pulled off a very elaborate Doc Brown move, or had a long-lost twin, she must be from a parallel dimension.

And the tech is getting smaller.

15. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I didn't get a parallel universe vibe from this. Keep in mind that an individual's timeline is linear whereas everyone else may see them at different points in their life. Someone in the past could see an older version of a person than someone in the future since they're bouncing all over the time line. A person's future self could be killed in the past without affecting the future.

Trying to keep track of where everyone is in time can get frustrating, but nowhere near as much as watching Lost. At least with Dark we know people are jumping through time and the flash forwards and flashbacks make much more sense since the theme centers around time travel.

16. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok, so if the Martha we see in the cliff hanger isn't from a parallel universe then there are two possibilities:

1. She's the slightly younger version of the one who died. She jumped forward in time to worked her in death, but then will have to jump back in the best future to actually experience it in person.
    2. The Martha who died is the slightly older version who jumped from the near future to the recent past to get killed, and the one we see at the end is the slightly less older version who jumped back to either her death, then at some near future time will jump back again to experience her death.

Both sound preposterous and unnecessarily complicated even for a show like Dark. In both cases Martha dies very soon since the dying Martha dies not look any older. So it's not like she's buying herself much time to do anything.

The other Martha didn't look noticeably older but she did look a little different. Her hair was definitely changed. So she's doing the time jumps back and forth in a very short time frame and she still had time to go to the hair salon?

I guess we'll find out in less than a month, but my money is still on parallel universes.

17. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Other Martha says "'I'm not who you think I am." Then Jonas asks "What time are you from?" and she replies "The question isn't from what time, but from what world".

Weird thing is, I didn't remember hearing/reading that last part. I found it from reading the transcript, then just rewatched the ending to confirm. She's clearly indicating a parallel universe (or universes).

I guess watching on German with subtitles can result in missing something pretty vital.

One more thing I noticed, in the previous scene where Elizabeth and Charlotte are reaching out through the rift, just before everything is wiped out in pretty certain it looks like Charlotte is whisked over to Elizabeth's side.

18. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    There are S3 trailers and trailer break-down videos out there if you don't mind spoilers. It's going to be a heck of a ride.

19. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    23 questions we have heading into the final season of Netflix's 'Dark'

I think I have the answer to one of the questions. Why did Noah and Helge only kidnap boys to test the time machine? My guess is that it's because so that point in his timeline Noah did not know that his daughter was Charlotte (he didn't even know *when* she was) so he only used boys because he did not want to risk killing his daughter.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  20. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001