Dark Matter - S01E04 - "Episode Four" - OAD 7/3/15

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by danterner, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Jul 6, 2015 #1 of 32
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL

Advertisements

Another enjoyable episode. For me, the weak link amongst the actors is the Android. The character is decent, but I find the portrayal by the actress to be lacking. She just seems like a human playing an android; I haven't been able to suspend disbelief with her at all. I wouldn't have minded if the android hadn't survived the spacewalk.

2. Jul 6, 2015 #2 of 32
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The weird thing is, she wasn't all that good in Lost Girl. I wonder what made them think she could handle an acting challenge like this?

Especially hurts that this is on at the same time Humans, with Gemma Chan showing how it should be done, is running.

3. Jul 6, 2015 #3 of 32
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    And she's a bad Android as well. She should have figured out that there were two number 1s by now!

They sure took their sweet time explaining that "clone" thing. I wonder if it's relevant! :p

Why was the black guy surprised that he came up in a DNA scan? was that previously explained as not possible?

4. Jul 6, 2015 #4 of 32
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I think pretty much everyone there is wanted and would come up in a scan. He was surprised that he was singled out to be detained. I vaguely recall that being explained in dialogue.

5. Jul 6, 2015 #5 of 32
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...

Advertisements

Ah. So the comment they made about this station probably having a lot of wanted criminals was the explanation. Makes sense.

6. Jul 6, 2015 #6 of 32
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    [moved from ep3 thread]
    The whole Total Recall-like commercial added quite a bit of insight into the tech level on the show. Download your brain to a clone, then dump the memories back into your original body? So what happens to your original body when your consciousness is in the clone? Is it kept in a coma until the clone's experiences are downloaded? Is the original mind still in the original body somewhere? What happens if the original wakes up while the clone is conscious? Can you download your consciousness to multiple clones? etc, etc. Lots of possibilities here.

The series name, Dark Matter, seems to make more sense now, as a play on gray matter (brain neural cortex) and white matter (brain neural fibers).

7. Jul 6, 2015 #7 of 32
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, now that I've watched Episode Four, I can see where my guess might have cause some confusion.

Yeah, the commercial that Six saw in the Doctor's office certainly lends some support for my theory that they're clones.
    But of course, that doesn't necessary mean that "Jace Corso" is the original article.

I wonder if they were created because that corporation wanted an elite fighting force but did want to shell out the original six's fees.

Is cloning equipment behind the big door?

(Speaking of, how big is the Raza?)

The cloning thing obviously hasn't occurred to One and Three (although Three would probably have to have his original hit him over the head) but I think it's a mistake for One not to at least tell Two the truth about what happened.
    I'm sure we'll run into another duplicate soon.

How far in the future is the show?
    Four's research would seem to indicate a complex Interstellar social/political structure.

I'm not familiar with Zoie Palmer's previous work but I agree she's the weakest of the ensemble.
    She either needs to play it more robotically or more human, I think.
    This in-between thing she's doing isn't working for her.

8. Jul 9, 2015 #8 of 32
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    She was by far the weakest link on Lost Girl as well. She is not a very good actress at all, and I'm surprised they gave her such a meaty role on this series.

9. Jul 9, 2015 #9 of 32
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It may be due to the more limited pool of Canadian actors.
    Dark Matter is a Canadian production and I believe that the Canadian Government specifies that a certain percentage of actors be Canadian.

If you watch enough Canadian based productions, you'll see a lot of the same actors cropping up in secondary roles.

Toronto based Productions get around this some by using actors who are based in New York but are Canadian citizens.

Vancouver based productions don't have that option as readily available.

10. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    People pretending to be robots usually doesn't work for me. It did in Ex Machina but that was the exception. I tried watching "Humans" and couldn't handle it. I agree that the droid is the weak spot in this show. It is hard to pull that off. Better to make them more human-like and just say "she's a droid" now and then to remind the audience.

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    this is my single biggest issue with the show.

12. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Just thinking of Brent Spiner's "Data" and Jeri Ryan's "Seven of Nine" (not an android but similarly not-quite-human) -- that's how it's done. Michael Ealy in "Almost Human" is another good example.

This one, not so much.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  13. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I just realized that Lost Girl and Dark Matter are both produced by Jay Firestone. He must like her. :)

14. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    She's not exactly bad to look at. Especially in that tight outfit.

I'll take her over Deanna Troi any day*

* yes, I know Troi was not a robot...ok...I THINK she was not a robot ;) :D

15. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    She's not bad, but the one who plays "Two" is *HOT* !!!

16. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    She sure is! I'd like to be her agent. Or significant other.

17. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte

I was watching TNG the other night and thought the same thing.

18. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Spiner was amazing as Data. Unfortunately, he was so good that he got typecast and the role pretty much ruined the rest of his career.

19. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I thought the same. Bishop (Lance Hendricksen) in Alien* was great, IMO. There are definitely examples of good android portrayals, but in Dark Matter? Not so far.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You mean Aliens. Ian Holm was the robot in Alien.