Dark 3x8 "Paradise"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    OK, so I'm trying to sort out who now never existed.

Obviously, Jonah, since Mikkel didn't time travel.

Elisabeth didn't time travel, therefore no Charlotte the Police Chief. Therefore no Francesca and Elisabeth. And therefore no Noah/Hanno and Agnes.

No Agnes, therefore no Tronte. No Tronte, therefore no Ulrich and Mads. (And there should be no Regina, but at the last minute they retconned out Tronte being her father.) No Ulrich, therefore no Magnus, Martha, and Mikkel.

Regina seems single at the end, so did Aleksander get erased? Not sure why he would...but that would eliminate Bartosz, who otherwise would be the sole "survivor" of his generation.

2. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Good summary.

The show certainly gave us a real ending, though it seemed a bit simple. I still don't get what the two sides were fighting over, especially Jonas. Was his motivation really if my world dies so does yours? He didn't seem to be aware of the third world. They also never explained for me anyway why Jonas became Adam.

A great series. There's even more story to tell.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think he was just fed up with the whole cycle, and wanted to end it the only way he could think of...i.e., destroying the worlds, so nobody would have to suffer any more.

His plan to radicalize his younger self by murdering Martha might have succeeded more than he thought...he drove himself insane! ;)

4. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    They didn't show enough progression for me to believe that he would become the man with that plan.

And to work that hard to be so vindictive where your motivation is to destroy a world. I need more motivation there.

5. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Was a reason ever given as to why Agnes killed Noah

6. Jul 3, 2020 #6 of 46
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok, finally ready to watch the finale. Will be back to discuss shortly.

7. Jul 3, 2020 #7 of 46
    Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I haven't watched it but I like your thread titling method (3x8). Makes things simpler.

8. Jul 3, 2020 #8 of 46
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    So Ulrich and Charlotte are gone. Hannah is with Woller. Was Katharina with Peter? Why was Regina there; surely she was not with Benny. Aleksander/Boris never came to Winden? If Regina was there why wasn't Claudia?

9. Jul 3, 2020 #9 of 46
    wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    The whole thing with The Origin running around in triplicate, garroting people left right and center was, to be perfectly blunt, stupid. Why were there three of them if they ever only had to split up between two places (and with a handy dandy time/dimension traveling device they really only ever needed one).

10. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I hate to say it, but that was a bit of a letdown.

11. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    As I understood it there was the origin where everything split in two. So the origin only existed before Tannhaus caused the split and after Jonas and Alt Martha prevented the crash.

After thinking more about this, the ending is better satisfying. I've concluded everyone who was a "loop birth" was insane and single minded, so some actions can never be explained.

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, they were stupid enough to think they were actually The Origin, so it fits with their characterization... ;)
    I came to the conclusion that Adam and Eva were both typical religious fanatics, who had insane beliefs and they simply could not comprehend the possibility that they might not be true...

13. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    The cleft lip man wasrwas to as The Origin.

Looking back on 3x7 I believe it was, I did notice that the device Tannhaus was building looked like nothing we had seen before. So those scenes were cheesey in the origin universe.

So why did Tannhaus' device create *two* other universes? Done things still don't really fit all that well.

14. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Unpopular opinion warning: Lost was more satisfying.

15. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Every event with Urich ended up with him being restainted screaming, "where's my boy?" Magnus and Francesca only wanted to be with each other. Bartosz was obsessed with trust. Agnes with distrust. Noah with following Adam. They were all locked in a loop of obsession.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But he wasn't. That was a delusion of Adam and Eve. The actual "Origin" was the use of Tannhaus's machine.
    But really, almost the entire cast was people like that. I think that might be more their (the writers') view of human nature than a symptom of being a (ahem) Looper.

Claudia was much the same way, and she was "natural."

17. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    You could even interpret the entire series as Jonas VS the other side: US VS Soviet Union and Germany splintered into different worlds.

18. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Only when the "loop characters" were introduced. Hannah was obsessed with Urich. Katarina- Mikkel. The origin group did not appear to have these issues. Hannah, Katarina, Peter etc. all seemed to get along and were grounded.

19. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    The Origin world didn't suffer from incest.

20. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Well, not so much incest but consanguinity.