Daredevil Season 2 Entire Series Thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Gunnyman, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...

Advertisements

I finished up this morning and over all I thought it was inferior to Season 1.
    Lots going on,some of it hard to follow, and unlike season one, the violence took me out of the story.
    I usually handle violence in film and TV without a problem, but several scenes had me looking away more often than not.

That said, bring on Luke Cage later this year!

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    After a while it gets a bit tiring watching them all have to out-Ninja each other fight scene after fight scene. Action can only substitute for plot and intelligent discourse for so long.

I may just be tiring of the overall out-ninja-ing problem going on amidst so many super-hero series, not just isolated to Daredevil, though I think there was enough in this season to warrant tiring of it alone. :)

I didn't like the carryover from season 1 becoming such a big part of season 2. Especially the absurdity of an entire prison being controlled like that. I don't think it was necessary to do any of that at all for the season.

Was the reason for a 400-foot-plus hole in NYC ever brought up. I might've missed it, I suppose, and I'd guess it had something to do with the immortality flower pot, but again, not sure why they had to go there. Maybe Hollywood had some sort of big discount on Ninja warrior stand-ins and costumes and Netflix needed to save some money...

3. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    TV violence is not a problem for me. But I did grow tired of all the relationship angst. It seemed like they were trying to pad the length of the season by inserting a lot of unnecessary angst.

The overall story arc was pretty good, with the evil cult of the Hand, and an origin story for the Punisher.

But as seems to be the trend for these Marvel TV seasons, it started to unravel at the end. All of a sudden, Daredevil cannot fight the bad guys because they "mask their heartbeat"? WTF? He obviously does not depend on heartbeats to fight, otherwise he would not be able to block and dodge their strikes. Also, he can tell in an instant what is inside a bunch of train cars or file cabinets, but he cannot hear people approaching to a few feet of him or detect fists coming at him?

And the Punisher escapes from a huge fireball explosion with barely any injuries, having been at the center of it just a second or two before it exploded? Yet people 50 feet away from it all died? And the cops show up well after the explosion and assume that the Punisher was killed in the explosion, even though they have absolutely no evidence that the Punisher was anywhere near the explosion? (We know he was, but how could the cops possibly know?)

And after making a big deal of the giant hole, then they just ignore it for the rest of the season?

4. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I actually liked the 2nd series better than the first. Watched it all over Friday and Saturday.

The first series was so slow I nearly stopped several times and took me 2 weeks to finish it. Everyone seems to overdue the violence anymore. I could have done with less.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5. john4200

Oct 31, 2009

Advertisements

Nope. Would that be a literal plot hole, or a figurative plot hole? ;)

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I assume the Hand's help-wanted ad says "Must be expendable"...

7. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    No heartbeat preferred.

Health care plan: big magic coffin if you get killed(*)

(*) Only applicable to Black Sky

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've just started episode 7 and maybe my feelings will change soon but I dislike Elektra intensely at this point. Frank Castle is great though.

9. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Anyone else getting annoyed with the dark fight scenes? Pretty much all of DD's fights are so dark I can barely see them. The only fight scene that is brightly lit in the whole thing is Frank's in prison.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I didn't have any problem...

11. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I liked it, but not as much as season 1. Too many competing storylines ... it was bad enough when it was just Punisher and Elektra, but the prison subplot threw everything out of whack.

12. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought it was awesome, even better than season 1.

John Bernthal deserves strong consideration for an Emmy nomination. His Punisher was the best character of the series.

Elektra became less annoying with each passing episode.

I hope I don't own any stock in Ninjas R Us. It can't be too profitable. They have a zillion employees but they don't live long.

13. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Unless the Hand pays them by the minion...

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This part bothered me too. He can grab an arrow out of mid air but can't see a fist coming at his face because they're masking their heartbeats?

All in all I liked the season though and look forward to season 3. Luke cage looks pretty cool too. I really liked his character in Jessica Jones so I'm looking forward to a standalone show about him.

15. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    This review summed up how I felt about the season pretty well.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...lds-a-great-punisher-season-one/#3b449a9a2b36

Elektra, like Stick, like all the ninjas, is a killing machine, though I wouldn’t say she demonstrates any particularly extra-special powers of note, so the whole Black Sky thing doesn’t really hold much weight. At one point, the ninjas literally almost kill her with a poison blade, which is weird, considering they’re supposed to want her to lead them, and then Stick himself tries to have her killed later when she rejects his orders, which is weird, considering he’s supposed to have protected her for her whole life. All of this is very hard to follow, and I’m still trying to sort it out post-viewing.

And where’s Daredevil in all of this? Lecturing people for killing bad guys, and lying to his would-be girlfriend. Both of these things are annoying in different ways.

So to recap, in this season Daredevil is A) a holier than thou a-hole who spends his time lecturing all the other much cooler characters about killing people B) a terrible boyfriend and friend who ditches his closest friends without any explanation, even though he could easily give them one and they’re both targets anyway. Meanwhile, The Punisher never stops being awesome, kills everyone who needs killing, and ends up having a better relationship with Karen than Matt ever did (albeit platonically…for now).

And I won’t even launch into a whole thing about how Daredevil still refuses to acknowledge not only the wider Marvel universe, but in the wake of Jessica Jones, is content to only drop her name once, and set up a two-second scene where Foggy talks to Carrie-Ann Moss’s character from the other show. Forget being a part of the MCU, it’s like these sibling shows are afraid to do more than barely acknowledge each other’s existence. It’s crazy.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Stick explained this. She was destined to become the Black Sky; he put that off as long as possible (hiding her from the Hand) so she could have as good a life as possible, but when she started turning into the Black Sky, her "good life" was over and he had to protect her from becoming the ultimate evil by killing her.

The alternate would have been, as he was urged to do, killing her ("it") when she was a kid.

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah it would have been nice for a bit more crossover. I understand why they can't bring in the Avengers, but Jessica Jones and Luke Cage barely even get a mention. They worked Luke Cage into Jessica Jones just fine, why couldn't they do the same with Dare Devil? At the very least one of them could have made a cameo.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They laid the groundwork, with Jeri Hogarth showing up. And in the comics she (well, he in the comics) is Danny Rand's lawyer, so now all the series are directly connected. I wouldn't be surprised to see Foggy show up in Luke Cage and Iron Fist, and Matt/DD could go along with him.

They're definitely playing a long game here, but it can't be too long since they'll all be together in Defenders. With all that's going on in this series (and people are already complaining that there was too much!), it's probably just as well that they didn't introduce yet other strands for the sake of setting up Defenders.

19. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The Punisher more than made up for the lack of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

20. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    One of a couple things that bugged me somewhat was Daredevil's constant lectures about killing but he certainly had no problem beating the bejesus out of people, some of whom had to have died from their injuries.

Another thing was that everybody recovered from their injuries too fast. The Irish guy power drilled Castle's foot but I don't think the Punisher limped for more than five minutes afterwards.