Dancing with the Stars, Season 28 (Fall 2019) -- spoilers allowed

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Mikeguy, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Discuss.

:)

Personally, I like the fact that the judges (and pros/"stars") intend to focus on the basics and technique--the standards (as in standard dances and technique) have been eroded the past few years.

Watching last night, I also realized how much I've missed the show (even with its flaws)--so uplifting to watch non-pros try to rise in their attempts at excellence. :clapping:

2. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I don't watch this show but saw a segment showing Christie Brinkley (sp?) breaking her wrist/hand in practice. ouch!

3. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I like this show, but it's always on when there are too many other new shows to watch. It should be on in the summer. :up:

4. TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Watched the show last night, not a bad group of dancers. A few that looked really good for this first week (James & Hannah) and some, not so much (Lamar & Sean).

Sailor did a decent job picking up for her mom in just a few days. She will probably get by for a few weeks on sheer compassion.

I thought we had a new male and female dancer, but looking the list, the only dancers I don't recognize are Pasha & Brandon. (According to Wikipedia, there was supposed to be a new female dancer, Danniella, but she is not listed with any of the stars.)

Who did Lindsey tick off to pull Sean as her partner? I would have hoped that the Producers would have given one of their popular female dancers a Celebrity that would stick around for a while. (Sean will be first or second gone for sure.)

Lamar and Peta look so uncomfortable due to the height difference. Even if Lamar was good (which he wasn't last night), their dances will still look very awkward.

Not a big fan of the new set. Way to gaudy (and what is with the score paddles, they look like a poker hand).

5. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think Sean had balls to do what he did wearing that shirt. He's not going to be the first one gone.

When the celebs were named someone who knows him tweeted out the James has moves. They were not wrong.

The pop singer was better than the marks Len gave her. I think he looks at her as a bit if a ringer and marking her harder because of that. Odd.

Len may be the same age as Mary Wilson, but he looks like he has a lot more experience being 75.

6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm not a big fashion guy, but I thought that Erin Andrews' sequined dress in shades of blue was a stunner.

lalouque likes this.
  7. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    No, it's just that you didn't dance very well . . . . Moving while dancing, and with fluidity, can be a good thing.

Sean Spicer suggests the DWTS judges lack Christ in since-deleted tweet

8. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Just finished watching the second episode... Wow, Lamar Odom was pretty down on himself after his performance and scores on his second dance... Erin had to turn the glass half full for him, and in the end, he was safe...

Back to the 1st episode, I was wondering how Spicer's introduction would go... Most of the other celebrities and professional pairings always start with that fake anticipation, and claims of "I was hoping it was you!" or something similar... I couldn't see that happening in this case, and it didn't... Instead, Lindsay made the statement that she heard a lot about him, but wanted to give him a fair shake and get to know him... Interesting...

BTW, is this the first time we've had someone solely in politics be brought on as a "celebrity"?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  9. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I thought it was funny they went to this new elimination procedure only after the Bobby Bones catastrophe nearly got the series cancelled. It should have always been more skills based than popularity contest.

10. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    It also solves another problem (or maybe it's the same problem, now that I think about it)... If America puts an extremely strong dancer in the bottom two...they can save them and avoid eliminating a potential top talent. I am thinking most recently of Tinashe from last season who was eliminated in the 4th week... She was clearly strong enough to go the distance, but didn't have the votes, and no process in place to save her...

But like I said, I think I just restated what you said, but put the strong dancer spin on it...

11. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    BTW, do we know how long the judges have this "power"? I can't imagine that they will pick the winner when it boils down to the final 2...

12. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I thought they should use relative placement, and either have 3 judges+ audience counts as 2 votes, or 4 judges + audience counts as 1 vote.
    Audience placements would be determined by votes.
    Their current percentage system is completely wacked out, and I think it biases toward audience vote because the normalizing judge rankings to percentage numbers makes even a difference between 3 6's and 3 10's smaller.

That being said, I think the show has always been more about who has the best underdog narrative in their package, and the audience likes it being a popularity contest. And I know relative placement is probably less fun to watch/understand.

I do like the new "judge's save", though I think that kind of means the judges can double-dip. That is, the judge's scores are already weighted with the audience in the final decision. Then on top of that, they can fudge the bottom. I feel like SYTYCD does it more transparently - audience votes for bottom 2. Judges decide which one goes.
    Also, as a side effect, the last few seasons, I HATED them saying "you are in danger" but when pressed, they had to be specific about "this is the bottom dancer and someone else the producers think is the most dramatic, but not necessarily the 2nd lowest". I did notice when the language switched from "bottom 2" to "in danger". And now, I think we're back to really having the bottom 2.
    In past years, abc.com would post the full voting rules, but I can't find it this year. I've seen dozens of aggregator sites parrot back what was said on the show. But no primary source yet.

13. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Also, why isn't Emma blonde anymore?

14. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Let's remember that this is not about crowning the best dancer... It's about putting a show on that attracts the most viewers so that they can charge more for advertisements... Period...

So the priority on popularity makes sense... People tune in to watch their favorite celebrities (or professional dancers)... So if a great dancer that doesn't have a lot of fans goes home...I guess from the producer's perspective, they don't care so much...

15. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I thought it was a pretty good start. The tall basketball guy was not good, and he really wasn't even very interesting either.

I'm divided as to the new "twist" where the judges send home one of the bottom two. I liked the fact that anyone could go at any time in the old system. In this version, if the judges like someone, they can save them until the end. Though I think you're right that this will probably switch over to the old style once they've decided the bad dancers were already eliminated.

16. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
  17. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Ew... Sorry about that... I thought I did a search and couldn't find an existing thread...but apparently I missed it...

@Dan203 - As moderator, are you able to merge these two threads?

18. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Len's been pushing behind the scenes for several years for them to go to a dance off, like they do in the UK on Strictly.

The bottom 2 re-dance their routine and the judges decide who improved enough to be saved, with Len as head judge having the tie breaking vote, as they use 4 judges in the UK. They still do it this way, even though Len retired from the UK show. The judges pick between the bottom 2 all the way up until the final 3 are left. Then it's judges scores and public vote to decide the winner.

They have a separate results show in the UK, like ABC used to do. With no commercials on BBC, they have more air time to fill too.

19. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Sean really needs Lindsay, though. She's remarkably good at making him look good (as much as is humanly possible, anyway).

lalouque likes this.
  20. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    In the premiere episode, even Bobby Bones knowingly smiled at the fact that he won last series.