1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dancing with the Stars Season 26 - Athletes (All Season Spoilers Thread)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeekiM, May 2, 2018.

1. May 2, 2018 #1 of 37
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    This will be interesting... Four week accelerated season...

Tonya scored well, and yet was positioned as "in danger"... I don't remember them specifically saying that these were the bottom three, so maybe they put her "in danger" just as a red herring to add some drama... But if these were the bottom 3, she clearly does not have America's votes.

I thought she did well, and I am actually rooting for her to do well... Looks like she is really taking this competition very seriously, and is getting a lot of positive mental health from this. She's had a hard life, and I'd love this for her...it's four weeks, America... I don't think she can win it...but I think she has the talent to go far enough to feel good about herself.

That said, I know there is a lot of controversy over whether she was clueless or if she had prior knowledge of the whole clubbing incident... If she knew, and she had the opportunity to stop it...shame on her... If she knew, but feared for her life, and didn't feel safe to turn her boyfriend into the authorities...then while it would have been good to have her "step up" and be courageous, fact is...we need to walk a mile in her shoes before we can judge that situation...

Kareem should have gone home based on his performance alone... But he clearly has the fan base! :)

Anyway... My favorite four at this point (in no particular order) are:
    • Adam Ripon
    • Marai Nagasu
    • Josh Norman
    • Tonya Harding (underdog fan more than anything else)
    Update: Been reading articles on the internet... Apparently people are calling this recent DWTS participation as part of the "Tonya Harding Redemption Tour", and people are pretty upset by it... I guess I live under a rock... (yes, I actually do not keep up with real news or entertainment news very well)... They cite Tonya's lack of remorse, and lack of an apology to Nancy Kerrigan... I am sure all of your TCFers are much more up to date on this stuff than me...

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  2. May 2, 2018 #2 of 37
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I don't think Tonya knew and I think all those people who can't get over it should get over it.

I don't think she will win either but I do hope she sticks around for a while.
    I don't think I have ever voted for DWTS, but I did this week!

P.S. I don't think they gave Tonya a particularly strong partner and who ever dressed her this week did not do her any favors.

3. May 2, 2018 #3 of 37
    murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    No surprise that Tonya was "in danger" because the producers have swallowed Tonya's "poor little me" act. So of course they're going to stir up the viewers who don't know any better to vote for her.

And no, I'm not the person who needs to "get over it". The whack wasn't just the one incident, grievous though it was. "Oh my skate lace broke." Tonya was a manipulative creep and a bad sport and a cheater throughout her career.

This is the perfect season for the Trump era, nasty, brutish, and short, where DwtS crowns a con man.

4. May 2, 2018 #4 of 37
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Naw. You got it wrong.

5. May 2, 2018 #5 of 37
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I watched and likely will in the future, but it is, for me, the least interesting of all the DWTS seasons--I have little interest in the contestants, sadly.

6. May 2, 2018 #6 of 37
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
  7. May 2, 2018 #7 of 37
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Prior to the premiere episode, I was really excited to see Jenna Johnson back as a pro...AND paired with Adam Ripon... They delivered this week...I am hopeful that they continue to deliver!

8. May 2, 2018 #8 of 37
    murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I call it like I see it. Other figure skaters grow up and move on when they can't skate anymore. The person who needs to 'get over' Tonya Harding is Tonya herself.

9. May 2, 2018 #9 of 37
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    They have lost the Pro's that every one likes to watch. Show just isn't as enjoyable any more with out them.

10. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I'm just hoping Adam Ritton wins! Not because I think he's a good dancer, but his partner! Yowza! Is this her first season? That Val...what a lucky SOB!

11. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Jenna Johnson was a contestant on SYTYCD and has been a troupe dancer for years on DWTS. She became a pro for the first time about 3 years ago... Was a pro for a couple of seasons, and then took a year off to be a coach back at her alma mater, SYTYCD. This is her first time back after taking the break.

She's a fan favorite on both shows... :)

alpacaboy likes this.
  12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Fan boi! ;)

MikeekiM likes this.
  13. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Guilty as charged... ;)

14. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I started following her on Instagram. And seems like a real sweetheart. If Val doesn't marry her, he's an idiot!

15. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock TCF Club

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I saw a small bit with Tonya on GMA. She did a clumsy little move with her partner and everyone applauded as if she’d won the Olympics.
    I don’t get it.

16. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I suspect the producers are using this short season as an opportunity to get some of the younger pros some air time.

The more well-known pros may have other commitments.

17. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    OK... So Arike and Kareem are out now...

This is a four week competition, right? So now that we've finished the 2nd show, are we half way through? Wow... This is going to go fast...

Interesting that Tonya was not in the "bottom 3" this week... I thought for sure she would be, given her good scores and low placement last week...

I don't know...they gave Josh Norman some pretty high scores...I still like him, but I don't think is paso was terribly impressive...

I had a cringe moment when Marai was crying over her one 7. I thought Rashad Jennings did an awesome job saving her from her own comment... I guess it is true...the very competitive are always striving for the best that they can be...and I guess that 7 just didn't sit well with her...

Man, Rashad has the gift of the gab... Is he vying for a permanent judging gig?

18. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Worse season ever.

19. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I thought everyone was pretty bad last night. Yet the judges saw it differently.

Three get sent home next week!

20. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I liked both Chris Mazdzer (luge Olympian) and, surprisingly, Tonya Harding--I thought that they both were surprisingly good, and especially Chris as an Everyman without any dance experience.