Dancing with the Stars DWTS Season 29 (2020) - All Season Thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeekiM, Sep 16, 2020.

1. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Conversation started in the pre-season thread... Creating a formal thread for season 29...

Talk amongst yourselves (and yes...me too!).

Not "feeling it" with the applause track and the lack of a live audience... Also not loving Tyra Banks as host... I'll keep watching and give her the benefit of the doubt that there will be some growing pains...

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Tyra hosted America's Got Talent for I think just 1 season and was dreadful at it. Don't expect anything better here. Then again Tom Bergeron as host is very tough act to follow. Without Len as a judge it's never the same, but at least Derek is there instead of his sister who I did not like on the judging panel - she was fine as a dancer/pro but not a judge.
    I've watched this show since season 1 and even attended live once, but it's getting harder to keep my interest, especially without Len and Tom.

osu1991 likes this.
  3. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I didn’t realize I had it set to record on Plex, so I scanned through it, since I had removed it from the TiVo’s schedule. Didn’t care for it with Tyra and the fake crowd audio didn’t seem to be used that well either. I doubt I watch anymore. I’ll leave it on Plex to scan through if something newsworthy happens.

4. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I applaud all of the celebs... they really really tried. But Carole and the basketball player are just dreadful.

Still don't know who some of these celebs are, even after the main introduction package. :)

Tyra... ugh. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt at the start. Frankly I thought she was better in the second hour than the first. But still no Bergeron/Andrews.

5. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas

Advertisements

Never watched before, but had to watch cuz of Tiger Lady.

I thought they were all pretty good, but what do I know about dancing.

Tiger lady was the worst of the bunch.

But still give her props for well,, not falling down

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

6. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    More than most episodes, it felt like some of the early dancers had a distinct disadvantage when it came to scoring. Especially Jeannie Mai who I think would have definitely received a higher score had she danced later in the night. I get it. They don't want to give out super high scores to start out with because then where do they go if someone does even better. But so many people with three 6's.

7. lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Tuesday this week instead of Monday (one-time simulcast of Monday Night Football on ABC). Heads up.

8. Bill H.

Bill H. New Member

Sep 22, 2020
    I totally agree. I stopped watching AGT because of Tyra and refuse to watch DWTS because of her also. What they did to Tom is uncalled for. He was a wonderful host. I don't look for this show to make it another season nor do I think AGT will make it either. Not sure what the network is thinking.

9. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Bottom two was not a surprise at all.

10. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm not totally hating Tyra, as long as I don't look at her. Her Minnie Mouse getup looks like a drunk Halloween party reject. Ugh. Her chatter is better.

11. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    A 3! And she deserved it :D

martinp13 likes this.
  12. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I can not stand Trya. I have to FF when she talks.

13. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    I don't like this season:
    - Prefer Tom to Tyra. I don't find Tyra as horrible as others in the thread do though. I think she's getting thrown by not having the audience. Now the opening is just Tyra doing a bit, and making a grand entrance in some fancy dress. But again, without a real audience, I think it's a bit awkward.
    - Canned audience noise bugs me. Especially when they boo the judges, knowing it's just a producer driving it.
    - Only heard of a couple of the "Stars" - and don't really care about any of them.
    - Of the pros, I only really like Emma and Jenna. And Emma is already eliminated.
    - Something else I recently realized: In normal seasons, I really liked seeing the pros demo stuff and have the opening group numbers and stuff. So there's at least be a little bit of good dancing from people who know what they're doing. But now, I guess they're trying to minimize cross contact, so those numbers are gone.

One disagreement with moyekj's earlier comment: I liked Julianne and I thought she did great as a judge. I always found her comments honest, and maybe a little on the technical side. That's actually the feedback I'm more interested in hearing, and to me, not that different from Len's type of comments. Derek is fine too, but for me, Julianne would be more of a reason to watch the show.

osu1991 likes this.
  14. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
  15. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Agreed, that was really crazy. At least they corrected it in the moment instead of sending the wrong person home or something before the end of the episode.

16. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    So for the Finals, they finally opened with a group number from the Pros and I totally perked up for it. I'm tired of all the packages of "blah blah struggle blah blah favorite song from _____ blah" and it was so refreshing to just see good dancing.

Haha... this thread is so inactive. Maybe I'm the only one still watching. (and really not very enthusiastically)

17. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Congrats to Kaitlyn!

18. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I was watching, but I wanted her to be 4th so it was a pretty disappointing finale. Actually I would have cut her about 4 weeks ago.

Based on the finale dances, I would have picked Nev to win.